Variables don't; constants aren't.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Technically competent Software engineers can verify this halting problem proof refutation

Re: Technically competent Software engineers can verify this halting problem proof refutation

<tAptK.352007$zgr9.264390@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9752&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9752

Subject: Re: Technically competent Software engineers can verify this halting
problem proof refutation
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<878rplyhj6.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<b6163094-01b0-4bb4-a3b1-4e48457527a0n@googlegroups.com>
<bYSdnbm5OKWcvSv_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 16:59:04 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 20:59 UTC

On 6/24/22 4:35 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/24/2022 3:25 PM, Malcolm McLean wrote:

>>> Then I don't know what you mean by "dry-run" and what needs an
>>> explanation (for me) is your description of what he's doing. Nothing in
>>> what PO is doing needs to be explained as far as I can see.
>>>
>> "Dry run" means that a human programmer looks at the code, and determines
>> what it does, without actually executing it.
>> It's a very important technique, because it's not always practical or
>> even
>> possible to run a debugger. Even where a debugger is available, often
>> dry-running will reveal bugs in a fraction of the time.
>> In this case, PO has dry run P(P). That is, he has looked at the
>> source, and
>> worked out what it will do. Which is to run an infinite sequence of
>> nested
>> emulations. So it won't halt. H(P,P) also reports "non-halting". So
>> this is
>> powerful evidence  that H is correct.
>
> Great!

Except, of course, that the "Dry-run" didn't evalute H as what H
actually ends up being, but by what H was specifed to be, that is a
comptation that completely em

>> However when he actually executes P(P) on hardware, it terminates.
>> Something isn't right.
>
> None-the-less when everyone in the entire universe disagrees with a
> verified fact then they are all necessarily incorrect.
>
> The ordinary semantics of standard C and the conventional x86 language
> are the entire semantics required to conclusively prove that H(P,P) does
> correctly determine that its correct and complete x86 emulation of its
> input would never reach the "ret" instruction (final state) of this
> input thus never halts.
>
>> PO's explanation is that P(P) has different correct behaviour when run
>> and
>> when emulated by H.
>
> It is very easily proven as an established fact that the correctly
> emulated input to H(P,P) would never halt and P(P) halts.

Only if you accept that P isn't requred to be the H^ of Linz.

Remember, THAT machine, by definition, makes a call that asks H to
evalute what it will do when applie to its input.

If H(P,P) doesn't mean that, then P isn't the impossible program example
of Linz but something else, so we haven't countered his example.

>> I can think of an obvious alternative explanation which is much
>> simpler and
>> much less far-reaching in its implications. However despite a lot of
>> coaxing,
>> no-one else seems to have arrived at it.
>
> I think that most of my reviewers are only interested in rebuttal at the
> expense of an actual honest dialogue. You are certainly the exception to
> this.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Technically competent Software engineers can verify this halting

By: olcott on Wed, 22 Jun 2022

158olcott