From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Halt deciders
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 12:28:42 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 17:28 UTC

On 10/19/2022 12:13 PM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:
> Op 19.okt..2022 om 19:01 schreef olcott:

>>> I started this thread with a question about Halt Deciders. I included
>>> a definition (see above). Why do you keep changing the subject to
>>> things with other definitions? Cars, airplanes, simulating halt
>>> deciders, boats, automobiles? Please, stay at the subject.
>>
>> The above quote seems to say that a simulating halt decider does
>> correctly determine the halt status of the input that it simulates.
>>
>> Professor Sipser is the author of the best selling book on the theory
>> of computation would seem to have the knowledge required to approve
>> alternative definitions for halt deciders.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Theory-Computation-Sipser/dp/8131525295
>>
>> Only the notion of a simulating halt decider defeats the conventional
>> HP proofs. To insist on definitions that cannot defeat these proofs
>> seems a little silly.
>>

> So, your contribution is irrelevant, because you want to change
> definitions and you cannot show any error in the 9 points I was asking
> about.
> Don't change the subject, please.

In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and an
input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run
forever. Alan Turing proved in 1936 that a general algorithm to solve
the halting problem for all possible program-input pairs cannot exist.

For any program H that might determine if programs halt, a
"pathological" program D, called with some input, can pass its own
source and its input to H and then specifically do the opposite of what
H predicts D will do. No H can exist that handles this case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

H(D,D) correctly simulates its input D until H correctly determines that
its simulated D would never stop running unless aborted thus exactly
matching the Wikipedia definition of an H can that handles this case.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Halt deciders

By: olcott on Mon, 17 Oct 2022

18olcott