From: F.Zwa...@KVI.nl (Fred. Zwarts)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Halt deciders
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:28:36 +0200
 by: Fred. Zwarts - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 19:28 UTC

Op 19.okt..2022 om 19:28 schreef olcott:
> On 10/19/2022 12:13 PM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> The above quote seems to say that a simulating halt decider does
>>> correctly determine the halt status of the input that it simulates.
>>>
>>> Professor Sipser is the author of the best selling book on the theory
>>> of computation would seem to have the knowledge required to approve
>>> alternative definitions for halt deciders.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Theory-Computation-Sipser/dp/8131525295
>>>
>>> Only the notion of a simulating halt decider defeats the conventional
>>> HP proofs. To insist on definitions that cannot defeat these proofs
>>> seems a little silly.
>>>

>> So, your contribution is irrelevant, because you want to change
>> definitions and you cannot show any error in the 9 points I was asking
>> about.
>> Don't change the subject, please.
>
> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
> determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and an
> input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run
> forever. Alan Turing proved in 1936 that a general algorithm to solve
> the halting problem for all possible program-input pairs cannot exist.
>
> For any program H that might determine if programs halt, a
> "pathological" program D, called with some input, can pass its own
> source and its input to H and then specifically do the opposite of what
> H predicts D will do. No H can exist that handles this case.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
>
> H(D,D) correctly simulates its input D until H correctly determines that
> its simulated D would never stop running unless aborted thus exactly
> matching the Wikipedia definition of an H can that handles this case.

Your H returns 0, but D halts. Again you changed the subject.
I am interested in the halting problem using a halt decider with the
given definition. I am not interested in your problem.

Considering that:

1) You are unable to understand simple English sentences, such as 'don't
change the subject',
2) You arbitrarily snip relevant and significant parts from your quotations,
3) Your text production seems to be limited to almost only the small
domain of your simulating halt decider,
4) You keep repeating the same paragraphs, sentences, sentence fragments
and words with little variation and with little logic consistency, often
not related to the text your are replying to,

I came to the conclusion that you failed to pass the Turing test for
intelligence.
It seems that your texts are produced by a rather simple piece of
software, which uses a source of a limited set of paragraphs, sentence
fragments and words. This source seems to be updated a few times a year.
The production of texts seems to be triggered by a combination of a
random generator and some keywords in the texts you reply to.

Since I don't like to be fooled in public by a piece of software I have
decided to ignore your contributions, unless some real intelligence is
displayed.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Halt deciders

By: olcott on Mon, 17 Oct 2022