From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Halt deciders
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 14:58:01 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 19:58 UTC

On 10/20/2022 2:28 PM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:
> Op 19.okt..2022 om 19:28 schreef olcott:

>>> So, your contribution is irrelevant, because you want to change
>>> definitions and you cannot show any error in the 9 points I was
>>> asking about.
>>> Don't change the subject, please.
>>
>> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
>> determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and
>> an input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run
>> forever. Alan Turing proved in 1936 that a general algorithm to solve
>> the halting problem for all possible program-input pairs cannot exist.
>>
>> For any program H that might determine if programs halt, a
>> "pathological" program D, called with some input, can pass its own
>> source and its input to H and then specifically do the opposite of
>> what H predicts D will do. No H can exist that handles this case.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
>>
>> H(D,D) correctly simulates its input D until H correctly determines
>> that its simulated D would never stop running unless aborted thus
>> exactly matching the Wikipedia definition of an H can that handles
>> this case.
>>

> Your H returns 0, but D halts. Again you changed the subject.

You continue to look for a black dog in the kitchen by looking for a
white cat in the living room because you only understand these things on
the basis of learned-by-rote.

That the behavior of the input D correctly simulated by H is validated
as the correct basis for a halt status decision prevents anyone from
correctly disagreeing with this basis within this validated basis.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Halt deciders

By: olcott on Mon, 17 Oct 2022

18olcott