Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.


devel / comp.arch.fpga / Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

SubjectAuthor
* How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTianxiang Weng
+* Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offMike Perkins
|`* Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTianxiang Weng
| `* Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTianxiang Weng
|  `* Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTheo
|   `* Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTianxiang Weng
|    `* Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTianxiang Weng
|     `- Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTianxiang Weng
`* Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offHT-Lab
 `- Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display offTianxiang Weng

1
How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=157&group=comp.arch.fpga#157

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
X-Received: by 2002:a37:c447:: with SMTP id h7mr5330056qkm.63.1623440461652;
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:a37:8386:: with SMTP id f128mr5432079qkd.444.1623440461459;
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:1700:3a90:cb30:d0b:4cc7:e081:6f9f;
posting-account=uXeJ4gkAAADS8JQB6S6LUjzELiulwQRn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:1700:3a90:cb30:d0b:4cc7:e081:6f9f
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
From: wtx...@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
Injection-Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:41:01 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-Received-Bytes: 1302
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:41 UTC

Hi,
I want to run ModelSim overnight when I am sleeping.

How to run an application overnight with the display off in the laptop with Windows 10?

Is there a shortcut keystroke to turn the screen off while running an application background?

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=158&group=comp.arch.fpga#158

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.szaf.org!news.karotte.org!news.space.net!news.m-online.net!news.bgeserver.de!bgepartei.de!news2.open-news-network.org!.POSTED.109.180.43.250!not-for-mail
From: spa...@spam.com (Mike Perkins)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 00:06:38 +0100
Organization: news2.open-news-network.org
Message-ID: <sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org>
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 23:06:37 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: news2.open-news-network.org; posting-host="109.180.43.250";
logging-data="18282"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@bgeserver.de"
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/78.11.0
In-Reply-To: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
Content-Language: en-GB
 by: Mike Perkins - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 23:06 UTC

On 11/06/2021 20:41, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to run ModelSim overnight when I am sleeping.
>
> How to run an application overnight with the display off in the laptop with Windows 10?
>
> Is there a shortcut keystroke to turn the screen off while running an application background?
>
> Thank you.

I've used Nirsofts command line facility with a shortcut key. This
article gives a clue:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-off-the-monitor/

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
www.videosolutions.ltd.uk

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=159&group=comp.arch.fpga#159

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
X-Received: by 2002:a37:a38d:: with SMTP id m135mr6552504qke.36.1623459768103;
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:02:48 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:ad4:4b04:: with SMTP id r4mr7656788qvw.7.1623459767913;
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!proxad.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!209.85.160.216.MISMATCH!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:1700:3a90:cb30:7c42:444:bf44:4e6c;
posting-account=uXeJ4gkAAADS8JQB6S6LUjzELiulwQRn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:1700:3a90:cb30:7c42:444:bf44:4e6c
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com> <sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
From: wtx...@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
Injection-Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:02:48 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:02 UTC

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 4:06:42 PM UTC-7, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 11/06/2021 20:41, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to run ModelSim overnight when I am sleeping.
> >
> > How to run an application overnight with the display off in the laptop with Windows 10?
> >
> > Is there a shortcut keystroke to turn the screen off while running an application background?
> >
> > Thank you.
> I've used Nirsofts command line facility with a shortcut key. This
> article gives a clue:
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-off-the-monitor/
>
>
> --
> Mike Perkins
> Video Solutions Ltd
> www.videosolutions.ltd.uk

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help.

I will try the software.

Weng

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<6d5eb919-3ecf-4d3a-b6ba-502a9bf78ba2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=160&group=comp.arch.fpga#160

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
X-Received: by 2002:a05:622a:11c3:: with SMTP id n3mr7105559qtk.211.1623477502839;
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6214:848:: with SMTP id dg8mr8393396qvb.2.1623477502717;
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!proxad.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!209.85.160.216.MISMATCH!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:1700:3a90:cb30:9148:31c7:ca81:ac77;
posting-account=uXeJ4gkAAADS8JQB6S6LUjzELiulwQRn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:1700:3a90:cb30:9148:31c7:ca81:ac77
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
<sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org> <40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <6d5eb919-3ecf-4d3a-b6ba-502a9bf78ba2n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
From: wtx...@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
Injection-Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 05:58:22 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 05:58 UTC

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:02:50 PM UTC-7, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 4:06:42 PM UTC-7, Mike Perkins wrote:
> > On 11/06/2021 20:41, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I want to run ModelSim overnight when I am sleeping.
> > >
> > > How to run an application overnight with the display off in the laptop with Windows 10?
> > >
> > > Is there a shortcut keystroke to turn the screen off while running an application background?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > I've used Nirsofts command line facility with a shortcut key. This
> > article gives a clue:
> >
> > https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-off-the-monitor/
> >
> >
> > --
> > Mike Perkins
> > Video Solutions Ltd
> > www.videosolutions.ltd.uk
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> I will try the software.
>
> Weng

Hi Mike,
It is interesting that I found another method on youtube: How to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10/8/7; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp8B7Vicvs

This method is permanently to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10 when laptop' lid is closed. If you are to cancel the mode, reset the Window settings.

I don't know which method is better.

Weng

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<xXB*EWumy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=161&group=comp.arch.fpga#161

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!newsfeed.xs3.de!nntp-feed.chiark.greenend.org.uk!ewrotcd!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
Date: 12 Jun 2021 23:08:59 +0100 (BST)
Organization: University of Cambridge, England
Lines: 22
Message-ID: <xXB*EWumy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com> <sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org> <40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com> <6d5eb919-3ecf-4d3a-b6ba-502a9bf78ba2n@googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: chiark.greenend.org.uk
X-Trace: chiark.greenend.org.uk 1623535741 1962 212.13.197.229 (12 Jun 2021 22:09:01 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: abuse@chiark.greenend.org.uk
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 22:09:01 +0000 (UTC)
User-Agent: tin/1.8.3-20070201 ("Scotasay") (UNIX) (Linux/3.16.0-7-amd64 (x86_64))
Originator: theom@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Theo - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 22:08 UTC

Tianxiang Weng <wtxwtx@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is interesting that I found another method on youtube: How to Turn off
> Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10/8/7;
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp8B7Vicvs
>
> This method is permanently to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC
> Running In Windows 10 when laptop' lid is closed. If you are to cancel
> the mode, reset the Window settings.

It is generally not a good idea to shut a laptop that's working hard. The
reason is many laptops direct hot exhaust air up the front of the screen,
and shutting the screen blocks the vent.

Obviously you should check the situation for your specific laptop, but I'd
recommend putting the laptop on a hard surface and leaving it open, which
will allow maximum airflow. Alternatively you can stand it on its end like
a book (assuming there are no vents on the sides that this would block).

As well as not overheating, better cooling may make your simulation run
faster because it can clock the CPU higher without overheating.

Theo

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<aBjxI.17368$yVI1.1080@fx07.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=162&group=comp.arch.fpga#162

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.uzoreto.com!fdc3.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!fx07.ams4.POSTED!not-for-mail
Reply-To: hans64@htminuslab.com
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
From: han...@htminuslab.com (HT-Lab)
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/78.10.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-GB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Antivirus: Avast (VPS 210612-8, 12/06/2021), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 24
Message-ID: <aBjxI.17368$yVI1.1080@fx07.ams4>
X-Complaints-To: http://netreport.virginmedia.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:45:58 UTC
Organization: virginmedia.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 09:45:58 +0100
X-Received-Bytes: 1756
 by: HT-Lab - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:45 UTC

On 11/06/2021 20:41, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to run ModelSim overnight when I am sleeping.
>
> How to run an application overnight with the display off in the laptop with Windows 10?
>
> Is there a shortcut keystroke to turn the screen off while running an application background?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Weng
>

I believe you are running the Intel Starter edition?

If you need to run your simulation overnight that you have most
certainly hit the instance limit which means your simulation speed will
grind to a halt (1% of full PE/DE speed). I would suggest you try to
split your testbench into smaller chunks so you stay within the instance
limit and get 40-50% speed of PE/DE.

Good luck,
Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<c2b8d78d-23d3-4950-a6a9-c7db12016cc1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=163&group=comp.arch.fpga#163

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
X-Received: by 2002:ac8:7c99:: with SMTP id y25mr11809346qtv.239.1623586580174;
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:16:20 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6214:260f:: with SMTP id gu15mr13628421qvb.21.1623586579987;
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.uzoreto.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <aBjxI.17368$yVI1.1080@fx07.ams4>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:1700:3a90:cb30:5001:8d62:1566:8aff;
posting-account=uXeJ4gkAAADS8JQB6S6LUjzELiulwQRn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:1700:3a90:cb30:5001:8d62:1566:8aff
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com> <aBjxI.17368$yVI1.1080@fx07.ams4>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <c2b8d78d-23d3-4950-a6a9-c7db12016cc1n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
From: wtx...@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
Injection-Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:16:20 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-Received-Bytes: 2566
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:16 UTC

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 1:46:02 AM UTC-7, HT-Lab wrote:
> On 11/06/2021 20:41, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to run ModelSim overnight when I am sleeping.
> >
> > How to run an application overnight with the display off in the laptop with Windows 10?
> >
> > Is there a shortcut keystroke to turn the screen off while running an application background?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Weng
> >
> I believe you are running the Intel Starter edition?
>
> If you need to run your simulation overnight that you have most
> certainly hit the instance limit which means your simulation speed will
> grind to a halt (1% of full PE/DE speed). I would suggest you try to
> split your testbench into smaller chunks so you stay within the instance
> limit and get 40-50% speed of PE/DE.
>
> Good luck,
> Hans
> www.ht-lab.com

Hi Hans,
I calculate my first project, it has less than 5,000 lines, including all expansion codes, well below the 10,000 lines limit set by the Intel Starter edition.

I have many projects all of which are below the 10,000 lines limit, including the testing module.

The simulation speed is good, faster than the PE version I used before.

Finally, I decide not to run ModelSim very long, 1,000,000,000 ns is enough. Every clock cycle is 10 ns and it took 2 hours.

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<9d89c1ee-bf8b-4e40-a77e-f50d5c840fb0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=164&group=comp.arch.fpga#164

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
X-Received: by 2002:a05:622a:8e:: with SMTP id o14mr12098561qtw.102.1623587089384;
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:24:49 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:35c:: with SMTP id t28mr12073581qkm.10.1623587089267;
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:24:49 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:24:49 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <xXB*EWumy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:1700:3a90:cb30:5001:8d62:1566:8aff;
posting-account=uXeJ4gkAAADS8JQB6S6LUjzELiulwQRn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:1700:3a90:cb30:5001:8d62:1566:8aff
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
<sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org> <40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com>
<6d5eb919-3ecf-4d3a-b6ba-502a9bf78ba2n@googlegroups.com> <xXB*EWumy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <9d89c1ee-bf8b-4e40-a77e-f50d5c840fb0n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
From: wtx...@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
Injection-Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:24:49 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-Received-Bytes: 2791
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:24 UTC

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:09:05 PM UTC-7, Theo wrote:
> Tianxiang Weng <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is interesting that I found another method on youtube: How to Turn off
> > Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10/8/7;
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp8B7Vicvs
> >
> > This method is permanently to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC
> > Running In Windows 10 when laptop' lid is closed. If you are to cancel
> > the mode, reset the Window settings.
> It is generally not a good idea to shut a laptop that's working hard. The
> reason is many laptops direct hot exhaust air up the front of the screen,
> and shutting the screen blocks the vent.
>
> Obviously you should check the situation for your specific laptop, but I'd
> recommend putting the laptop on a hard surface and leaving it open, which
> will allow maximum airflow. Alternatively you can stand it on its end like
> a book (assuming there are no vents on the sides that this would block).
>
> As well as not overheating, better cooling may make your simulation run
> faster because it can clock the CPU higher without overheating.
>
> Theo

Hi Theo,
I think a laptop's fan is still working when its screen is turned off. Based on the method suggested on YouTube, the laptop never goes to sleep, and just turns off the screen.

Am I wrong?

I think your idea is good.

Weng

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<612fdefa-c163-42f9-ba4a-dee78b071705n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=165&group=comp.arch.fpga#165

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
X-Received: by 2002:a37:503:: with SMTP id 3mr15201880qkf.417.1623656107519;
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 00:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6214:848:: with SMTP id dg8mr17317137qvb.2.1623656107405;
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 00:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.niel.me!usenet.pasdenom.info!usenet-fr.net!proxad.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!209.85.160.216.MISMATCH!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 00:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <9d89c1ee-bf8b-4e40-a77e-f50d5c840fb0n@googlegroups.com>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:1700:3a90:cb30:3ced:1a08:a9:dbad;
posting-account=uXeJ4gkAAADS8JQB6S6LUjzELiulwQRn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:1700:3a90:cb30:3ced:1a08:a9:dbad
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com>
<sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org> <40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com>
<6d5eb919-3ecf-4d3a-b6ba-502a9bf78ba2n@googlegroups.com> <xXB*EWumy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<9d89c1ee-bf8b-4e40-a77e-f50d5c840fb0n@googlegroups.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <612fdefa-c163-42f9-ba4a-dee78b071705n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
From: wtx...@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
Injection-Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:35:07 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:35 UTC

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:24:51 AM UTC-7, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:09:05 PM UTC-7, Theo wrote:
> > Tianxiang Weng <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It is interesting that I found another method on youtube: How to Turn off
> > > Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10/8/7;
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp8B7Vicvs
> > >
> > > This method is permanently to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC
> > > Running In Windows 10 when laptop' lid is closed. If you are to cancel
> > > the mode, reset the Window settings.
> > It is generally not a good idea to shut a laptop that's working hard. The
> > reason is many laptops direct hot exhaust air up the front of the screen,
> > and shutting the screen blocks the vent.
> >
> > Obviously you should check the situation for your specific laptop, but I'd
> > recommend putting the laptop on a hard surface and leaving it open, which
> > will allow maximum airflow. Alternatively you can stand it on its end like
> > a book (assuming there are no vents on the sides that this would block).
> >
> > As well as not overheating, better cooling may make your simulation run
> > faster because it can clock the CPU higher without overheating.
> >
> > Theo
> Hi Theo,
> I think a laptop's fan is still working when its screen is turned off. Based on the method suggested on YouTube, the laptop never goes to sleep, and just turns off the screen.
>
> Am I wrong?
>
> I think your idea is good.
>
> Weng

Hi,
Here is another YouTube video, doing what I want to do "How to run ModelSim overnight with display off"", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FffUQiAFznc
Close Laptop and Use External Monitor to Display | Lid Closed and Use External Monitor Display,
Based on the described function, when the laptop lid is closed, its fan is still working!

Weng

Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

<f1c7348d-6947-41b4-8057-f5c1fea103bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=166&group=comp.arch.fpga#166

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:1003:: with SMTP id z3mr19679440qkj.490.1623718347987; Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:ac8:5710:: with SMTP id 16mr752171qtw.165.1623718347855; Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!news.uzoreto.com!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <612fdefa-c163-42f9-ba4a-dee78b071705n@googlegroups.com>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:1700:3a90:cb30:8df:7439:71da:ede4; posting-account=uXeJ4gkAAADS8JQB6S6LUjzELiulwQRn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:1700:3a90:cb30:8df:7439:71da:ede4
References: <edb095ea-a7e1-4e59-b0b4-b6771e509b2cn@googlegroups.com> <sa0q9t$hra$1@news2.open-news-network.org> <40f58a15-f670-4428-9798-7af9f0b4f1bfn@googlegroups.com> <6d5eb919-3ecf-4d3a-b6ba-502a9bf78ba2n@googlegroups.com> <xXB*EWumy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <9d89c1ee-bf8b-4e40-a77e-f50d5c840fb0n@googlegroups.com> <612fdefa-c163-42f9-ba4a-dee78b071705n@googlegroups.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <f1c7348d-6947-41b4-8057-f5c1fea103bbn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off
From: wtx...@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
Injection-Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:52:27 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Lines: 47
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:52 UTC

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:35:10 AM UTC-7, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:24:51 AM UTC-7, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:09:05 PM UTC-7, Theo wrote:
> > > Tianxiang Weng <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > It is interesting that I found another method on youtube: How to Turn off
> > > > Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10/8/7;
> > > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp8B7Vicvs
> > > >
> > > > This method is permanently to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC
> > > > Running In Windows 10 when laptop' lid is closed. If you are to cancel
> > > > the mode, reset the Window settings.
> > > It is generally not a good idea to shut a laptop that's working hard. The
> > > reason is many laptops direct hot exhaust air up the front of the screen,
> > > and shutting the screen blocks the vent.
> > >
> > > Obviously you should check the situation for your specific laptop, but I'd
> > > recommend putting the laptop on a hard surface and leaving it open, which
> > > will allow maximum airflow. Alternatively you can stand it on its end like
> > > a book (assuming there are no vents on the sides that this would block).
> > >
> > > As well as not overheating, better cooling may make your simulation run
> > > faster because it can clock the CPU higher without overheating.
> > >
> > > Theo
> > Hi Theo,
> > I think a laptop's fan is still working when its screen is turned off. Based on the method suggested on YouTube, the laptop never goes to sleep, and just turns off the screen.
> >
> > Am I wrong?
> >
> > I think your idea is good.
> >
> > Weng
> Hi,
> Here is another YouTube video, doing what I want to do "How to run ModelSim overnight with display off"", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FffUQiAFznc
> Close Laptop and Use External Monitor to Display | Lid Closed and Use External Monitor Display,
> Based on the described function, when the laptop lid is closed, its fan is still working!
>
> Weng

Hi,
I am sorry that I wrongly said that it took me 2 hours to run simulations for my project for 1,000,000,000 ns. But this time I had a clear starting time by file *.cr and found that it took me 9 hours to do the simulation.

I am still satisfied with the speed and function of Intel ModelSim Starter Edition, the reason is I don' have to repeat the long simulation very often, and the next project will continue its code testing.

Thank you.

Weng


devel / comp.arch.fpga / Re: How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor