From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gopher
Subject: hard wrapping versus long lines
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:00:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:00 UTC

From: <gopher://magical.fish/0/phlog/thoughts-on-text-formatting>

> These days, mobile gopher browsing is an actual thing. Hard
> formatted text makes for jagged mishapen display, which is
> difficult and annoying to read.

> Any decent gopher client will simply wrap text. Gopher clients have
> a great deal of power, and they should use it wisely to give the
> user the best experience.

Considering that mobile phones are basically supercomputers in
people's pockets, it's interesting that they would have trouble
rewrapping text and not showing "jaggies." Web browsers rewrap
text all the time. It doesn't matter if lines are hard wrapped
to 70 characters, they get rewrapped.

> If you don't like how text files display on your screen, then take
> it up with the developer of your gopher browser. Or find a better
> one.

Indeed.

-Ben

devel / comp.infosystems.gopher / hard wrapping versus long lines