Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

And Bruce is effectively building BruceIX -- Alan Cox


devel / comp.lang.c++ / composable future library?

SubjectAuthor
* composable future library?Pavel
`* Re: composable future library?Öö Tiib
 `* Re: composable future library?Pavel
  `- Re: composable future library?Muttley

1
composable future library?

<KRUcM.2193590$t5W7.44961@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=273&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#273

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!fx13.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: pauldont...@removeyourself.dontspam.yahoo (Pavel)
Subject: composable future library?
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
X-Mozilla-News-Host: snews://ssl.astraweb.com/
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.15
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 12
Message-ID: <KRUcM.2193590$t5W7.44961@fx13.iad>
X-Complaints-To: https://www.astraweb.com/aup
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 03:20:10 UTC
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 23:20:10 -0400
X-Received-Bytes: 1072
 by: Pavel - Mon, 29 May 2023 03:20 UTC

I have been looking for a C++ library for futures used via callbacks and
allowing composition like those in Scala or like the ones described at

https://engineering.fb.com/2015/06/19/developer-tools/futures-for-c-11-at-facebook/

I want to use these in a single thread with an event loop around some
select-like call so the std::future is not of much help.

Couldn't find anything readily available, any ideas?

TIA,
-Pavel

Re: composable future library?

<ee77df39-8e6a-4e78-a6ed-1cb8b77d2c4cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=283&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#283

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:4510:b0:75b:161:6e62 with SMTP id t16-20020a05620a451000b0075b01616e62mr2265223qkp.5.1685382455658;
Mon, 29 May 2023 10:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:318a:b0:74e:e9a:bebe with SMTP id
bi10-20020a05620a318a00b0074e0e9abebemr2215904qkb.14.1685382455461; Mon, 29
May 2023 10:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 10:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <KRUcM.2193590$t5W7.44961@fx13.iad>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=145.14.29.178; posting-account=pysjKgkAAACLegAdYDFznkqjgx_7vlUK
NNTP-Posting-Host: 145.14.29.178
References: <KRUcM.2193590$t5W7.44961@fx13.iad>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <ee77df39-8e6a-4e78-a6ed-1cb8b77d2c4cn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: composable future library?
From: oot...@hot.ee (Öö Tiib)
Injection-Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 17:47:35 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-Received-Bytes: 1825
 by: Öö Tiib - Mon, 29 May 2023 17:47 UTC

On Monday, 29 May 2023 at 06:21:54 UTC+3, Pavel wrote:
> I have been looking for a C++ library for futures used via callbacks and
> allowing composition like those in Scala or like the ones described at
>
> https://engineering.fb.com/2015/06/19/developer-tools/futures-for-c-11-at-facebook/
>
That looks like the mess of async react JavaScript. If someone does it
in C++ then that will likely be as awful.

> I want to use these in a single thread with an event loop around some
> select-like call so the std::future is not of much help.
>
> Couldn't find anything readily available, any ideas?
>
Maybe try boost.asio as it is closest to everything and more that one might
need for asynchronous processing in C++.

Re: composable future library?

<PxadM.479067$ZhSc.415917@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=287&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#287

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!fx38.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Subject: Re: composable future library?
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
References: <KRUcM.2193590$t5W7.44961@fx13.iad>
<ee77df39-8e6a-4e78-a6ed-1cb8b77d2c4cn@googlegroups.com>
From: pauldont...@removeyourself.dontspam.yahoo (Pavel)
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.15
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <ee77df39-8e6a-4e78-a6ed-1cb8b77d2c4cn@googlegroups.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Lines: 40
Message-ID: <PxadM.479067$ZhSc.415917@fx38.iad>
X-Complaints-To: https://www.astraweb.com/aup
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 23:27:43 UTC
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 19:27:35 -0400
X-Received-Bytes: 2529
 by: Pavel - Mon, 29 May 2023 23:27 UTC

Öö Tiib wrote:
> On Monday, 29 May 2023 at 06:21:54 UTC+3, Pavel wrote:
>> I have been looking for a C++ library for futures used via callbacks and
>> allowing composition like those in Scala or like the ones described at
>>
>> https://engineering.fb.com/2015/06/19/developer-tools/futures-for-c-11-at-facebook/
>>
> That looks like the mess of async react JavaScript. If someone does it
> in C++ then that will likely be as awful.
I guess it's a matter of taste.

Reactive stuff has a solid theoretical background beneath it. From my
experience, Scala is the best host language to study it. From that, and
my work projects, I know exactly I would want from C++
implementation.(Although, even in Scala, the separation of concerns
between the asynchronous computation tooling and execution environment
is not strong enough to my taste).

The article I cited above should be good enough to show the fundamental
benefits I am looking for.

>
>> I want to use these in a single thread with an event loop around some
>> select-like call so the std::future is not of much help.
>>
>> Couldn't find anything readily available, any ideas?
>>
> Maybe try boost.asio as it is closest to everything and more that one might
> need for asynchronous processing in C++.
Thanks! Looked thru, they permit using std::future to complete I/O
operation, I did not notice this before. But, again, this is C++
std::future and I want composability and consuming results by handlers
rather than waiting (asio seems to offer the latter; I just never
figured out how to compose the future results conveniently).

Well, no luck so far. Maybe one day I get myself a few days and jot down
something of my own. Unlikely though.

-Pavel

Re: composable future library?

<u549ra$1tkos$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=290&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#290

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: composable future library?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 07:50:02 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 11
Message-ID: <u549ra$1tkos$1@dont-email.me>
References: <KRUcM.2193590$t5W7.44961@fx13.iad>
<ee77df39-8e6a-4e78-a6ed-1cb8b77d2c4cn@googlegroups.com>
<PxadM.479067$ZhSc.415917@fx38.iad>
Injection-Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 07:50:02 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="53a4eb4eb9275701932f66535b8bbad5";
logging-data="2020124"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+7bEoqtbGRj9U7w/KQ7IsU"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:Cl5WRb6Og44Rl7EGsor0ZMQ5ri8=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 30 May 2023 07:50 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 19:27:35 -0400
Pavel <pauldontspamtolk@removeyourself.dontspam.yahoo> wrote:
>Thanks! Looked thru, they permit using std::future to complete I/O
>operation, I did not notice this before. But, again, this is C++
>std::future and I want composability and consuming results by handlers
>rather than waiting (asio seems to offer the latter; I just never
>figured out how to compose the future results conveniently).

C++ async/future etc is handholding for programmers who find the concept of
creating and managing threads too complicated.


devel / comp.lang.c++ / composable future library?

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor