Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

/earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.


devel / comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

SubjectAuthor
* Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Louis Epstein
`* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Marco Moock
 `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Louis Epstein
  `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Marco Moock
   `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Louis Epstein
    `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Marco Moock
     `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Bob Eager
      `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Louis Epstein
       `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??mikea
        `* Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??Louis Epstein
         `- Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??mikea

1
Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=279&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#279

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.main.put.com!not-for-mail
From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 06:21:05 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com>
Injection-Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 06:21:05 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="main.put.com:12.144.5.2";
logging-data="21586"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.1-20211226 ("Convalmore") (FreeBSD/12.3-RELEASE-p6 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 06:21 UTC

This evening I suffered a power failure (and something has gone wrong
inside my once useful UPS).

On subsequent rebooting after my generator had kicked in,
I attempted to do a hitherto unproblematic
git -C /usr/ports pull
and got an error message about index file smaller than expected.

Looking this up online I tried to fix it with
removing .git/index
and then git reset HEAD
but this only caused other error messages.

So I tried to remove the ports subdirectory from /usr
so as to bring in a new git clone.

NEARLY all of /usr/ports was deleted...
everything except /usr/ports/science .
NEARLY all of /usr/ports/science was deleted...
everything except /usr/ports/science/py-tensorflow .
NEARLY all of /usr/ports/science/py-tensorflow was deleted...
everything except /usr/ports/science/py-tensorflow/files .

"Directory not empty" error messages respond to any attempt
to delete any of these...though ls in
/usr/ports/science/py-tensorflow/files
returns one straight to the shell prompt and ls -al
returns
total 0
and then the shell prompt.

These empty directories can neither be moved nor removed.

Attempting to create a file in the files directory caused a crash.

Rebooting after a plain fsck after the crash came up with error messages

savecore 982 - - reboot after panic: ufs_dirbad: /: bad dir ino 20008348 at offset 1024: mangled entry
savecore 982 - - writing core to /var/crash/vmcore.1
Sep 14 05:30:14 top savecore[982]: reboot after panic: ufs_dirbad: /: bad dir ino 20008348 at offset 1024: mangled entry
Writing crash summary to /var/crash/core.txt.1

vmcore.1 is a 1052684288 byte file I will not reproduce here.

Is there anything particular to look for in the 176587-byte core.txt.1 ?
Is there any particular fsck option that would make things work again?

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=280&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#280

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:02:04 +0200
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 21
Message-ID: <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:02:05 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader01.eternal-september.org; posting-host="aa9ec57ccdcbc78a14294a03e76d135e";
logging-data="2994233"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/Aw+0m/3zJwtKANY6a7XEc"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:jIueu26r9uohTiosiZE/kXMht0U=
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:02 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 06:21:05 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:

> Attempting to create a file in the files directory caused a crash.
>
> Rebooting after a plain fsck after the crash came up with error
> messages
>
> savecore 982 - - reboot after panic: ufs_dirbad: /: bad dir ino
> 20008348 at offset 1024: mangled entry savecore 982 - - writing core
> to /var/crash/vmcore.1 Sep 14 05:30:14 top savecore[982]: reboot
> after panic: ufs_dirbad: /: bad dir ino 20008348 at offset 1024:
> mangled entry Writing crash summary to /var/crash/core.txt.1
>
> vmcore.1 is a 1052684288 byte file I will not reproduce here.
>
> Is there anything particular to look for in the 176587-byte
> core.txt.1 ? Is there any particular fsck option that would make
> things work again?

If you run fsck, does it ask you to delete these entries?

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=281&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#281

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.main.put.com!not-for-mail
From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:34:28 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me>
Injection-Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:34:28 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="main.put.com:12.144.5.2";
logging-data="12730"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.1-20211226 ("Convalmore") (FreeBSD/12.3-RELEASE-p6 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:34 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 06:21:05 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:
>
>> Attempting to create a file in the files directory caused a crash.
>>
>> Rebooting after a plain fsck after the crash came up with error
>> messages
>>
>> savecore 982 - - reboot after panic: ufs_dirbad: /: bad dir ino
>> 20008348 at offset 1024: mangled entry savecore 982 - - writing core
>> to /var/crash/vmcore.1 Sep 14 05:30:14 top savecore[982]: reboot
>> after panic: ufs_dirbad: /: bad dir ino 20008348 at offset 1024:
>> mangled entry Writing crash summary to /var/crash/core.txt.1
>>
>> vmcore.1 is a 1052684288 byte file I will not reproduce here.
>>
>> Is there anything particular to look for in the 176587-byte
>> core.txt.1 ? Is there any particular fsck option that would make
>> things work again?
>
> If you run fsck, does it ask you to delete these entries?
>

Rebooting and saying fsck at the first prompt
gets a host of error messages with a "no" response
automatically filled in for all of them.

The start is

-=-

** /dev/ada0s1a (NO WRITE)
** SU + J Recovering /dev/ada0s1a

USE JOURNAL?no

** Skipping journal, falling through to full fsck

SETTING DIRTY FLAG IN READ_ONLY MODE

UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
** Last Mounted on /
** Root file system
-=-

The second of 3 errors encountered in Phase 2 is
the one at issue here,in between two UNALLOCATEDs,
one in /usr/local/etc/namedb and the other in
/var/spool/clientmqueue:

DIRECTORY CORRUPTED I=20008348 OWNER=root MODE=40755
SIZE=1536 MTIME=Sep 13 19:37 2022
DIR=/usr/ports/science/py-tensorflow/files

Phase 4 meanwhile has an UNREF DIR error,
four ZERO LENGTH FILE errors,and 28 LINK COUNT FILE
errors.

So what's to be done to fix?

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=282&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#282

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 12:11:02 +0200
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 8
Message-ID: <tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com>
<tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me>
<tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 10:11:03 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader01.eternal-september.org; posting-host="aa9ec57ccdcbc78a14294a03e76d135e";
logging-data="3035387"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+Cv+JQY9m5iz1xqoZuLfCr"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:5nSxfBEGO5S9+zx+1kvcWeCCaB4=
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 10:11 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 08:34:28 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:

> Rebooting and saying fsck at the first prompt
> gets a host of error messages with a "no" response
> automatically filled in for all of them.

Can you answer them with "yes"?

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=283&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#283

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.main.put.com!not-for-mail
From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:51:41 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me> <tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me>
Injection-Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:51:41 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="main.put.com:12.144.5.2";
logging-data="3828"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.1-20211226 ("Convalmore") (FreeBSD/12.3-RELEASE-p6 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:51 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 08:34:28 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:
>
>> Rebooting and saying fsck at the first prompt
>> gets a host of error messages with a "no" response
>> automatically filled in for all of them.
>
> Can you answer them with "yes"?
>

As I said they were automatically filled in,
probably tied to my being in / (I am familiar
with unmounting any OTHER partition when doing
fsck but how can I unmount the / when the OS is
there?...since the system isn't responding to
a crash how do I get into a different mode?)

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tfssma$30761$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=284&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#284

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:40:58 +0200
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 14
Message-ID: <tfssma$30761$6@dont-email.me>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com>
<tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me>
<tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com>
<tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me>
<tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:40:58 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader01.eternal-september.org; posting-host="aa9ec57ccdcbc78a14294a03e76d135e";
logging-data="3153089"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18mvBRVDQpJmXvOSrEKtY/g"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:jIVYdiWQ+LRVpSwvPiGByBLbt08=
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:40 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 14:51:41 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:

> As I said they were automatically filled in,
> probably tied to my being in / (I am familiar
> with unmounting any OTHER partition when doing
> fsck but how can I unmount the / when the OS is
> there?...since the system isn't responding to
> a crash how do I get into a different mode?)

You cant do fsck with repairs on a mounted file system. You need to
boot a live system (any distribution you like, e.g. Ubuntu) and run
fsck there. Then you should be able to change the contents on the file
system that is broken.

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<joeegbFs8itU28@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=285&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#285

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.swapon.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: 14 Sep 2022 16:40:43 GMT
Lines: 25
Message-ID: <joeegbFs8itU28@mid.individual.net>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me>
<tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me>
<tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfssma$30761$6@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net 5iJYLxlqQAn6ithDDBKtng86uxJKQPQGgu/wsyYdRzzdh48tuX
Cancel-Lock: sha1:3ksaJpnzwW6KlqOfeAtSxcayoOw=
User-Agent: Pan/0.145 (Duplicitous mercenary valetism; d7e168a
git.gnome.org/pan2)
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:40 UTC

On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:40:58 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 14:51:41 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:
>
>> As I said they were automatically filled in, probably tied to my being
>> in / (I am familiar with unmounting any OTHER partition when doing fsck
>> but how can I unmount the / when the OS is there?...since the system
>> isn't responding to a crash how do I get into a different mode?)
>
> You cant do fsck with repairs on a mounted file system. You need to boot
> a live system (any distribution you like, e.g. Ubuntu) and run fsck
> there. Then you should be able to change the contents on the file system
> that is broken.

You can if it's mounted read only. At least, that's how you fix the root
file system.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=286&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#286

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.main.put.com!not-for-mail
From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:22:29 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me> <tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me> <tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfssma$30761$6@dont-email.me> <joeegbFs8itU28@mid.individual.net>
Injection-Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:22:29 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="main.put.com:12.144.5.2";
logging-data="3548"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.1-20211226 ("Convalmore") (FreeBSD/12.3-RELEASE-p6 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:22 UTC

Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:40:58 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 14:51:41 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:
>>
>>> As I said they were automatically filled in, probably tied to my being
>>> in / (I am familiar with unmounting any OTHER partition when doing fsck
>>> but how can I unmount the / when the OS is there?...since the system
>>> isn't responding to a crash how do I get into a different mode?)
>>
>> You cant do fsck with repairs on a mounted file system. You need to boot
>> a live system (any distribution you like, e.g. Ubuntu) and run fsck
>> there. Then you should be able to change the contents on the file system
>> that is broken.
>
> You can if it's mounted read only. At least, that's how you fix the root
> file system.
>
>

(problem now fixed)

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tg0655$to4$1@lustrous.firedrake.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=287&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#287

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!nntp.terraraq.uk!news1.firedrake.org!.POSTED.mikea.ath.cx!mikea.ath.cx!mikea
From: mik...@mikea.ath.cx
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:40:53 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: Firedrake Synthesis
Message-ID: <tg0655$to4$1@lustrous.firedrake.org>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me> <tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me> <tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfssma$30761$6@dont-email.me> <joeegbFs8itU28@mid.individual.net> <tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com>
Injection-Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:40:53 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: lustrous.firedrake.org; posting-host="mikea.ath.cx:70.164.65.62";
logging-data="30468"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@lustrous.firedrake.org"
User-Agent: tin/2.4.4-20191224 ("Millburn") (FreeBSD/12.2-RELEASE-p12 (amd64))
X-User-Agent: tin (SOAP 3; IBM 650)
X-Approved: mikea@mikea.ath.cx
X-CLACKS: GNU Sir Terry Pratchett
X-RICKMAN: By Grabthar's Hammer!
 by: mik...@mikea.ath.cx - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:40 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote in <tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com>:

> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:40:58 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
>>
>>> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 14:51:41 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:
>>>
>>>> As I said they were automatically filled in, probably tied to my being
>>>> in / (I am familiar with unmounting any OTHER partition when doing fsck
>>>> but how can I unmount the / when the OS is there?...since the system
>>>> isn't responding to a crash how do I get into a different mode?)
>>>
>>> You cant do fsck with repairs on a mounted file system. You need to boot
>>> a live system (any distribution you like, e.g. Ubuntu) and run fsck
>>> there. Then you should be able to change the contents on the file system
>>> that is broken.
>>
>> You can if it's mounted read only. At least, that's how you fix the root
>> file system.
>>
>>
>
> (problem now fixed)

How?

--
Look, there's a difference between sensibly recognizing that nobody is
perfect and making a law that says trying to improve is illegal.
-- Ursula Georges

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tg0i1i$v0$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=288&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#288

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.main.put.com!not-for-mail
From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:03:46 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <tg0i1i$v0$1@reader2.panix.com>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me> <tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me> <tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfssma$30761$6@dont-email.me> <joeegbFs8itU28@mid.individual.net> <tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com> <tg0655$to4$1@lustrous.firedrake.org>
Injection-Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:03:46 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="main.put.com:12.144.5.2";
logging-data="992"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.1-20211226 ("Convalmore") (FreeBSD/12.3-RELEASE-p6 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:03 UTC

mikea@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote in <tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com>:
>
>> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:40:58 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
>>>
>>>> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 14:51:41 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:
>>>>
>>>>> As I said they were automatically filled in, probably tied to my being
>>>>> in / (I am familiar with unmounting any OTHER partition when doing fsck
>>>>> but how can I unmount the / when the OS is there?...since the system
>>>>> isn't responding to a crash how do I get into a different mode?)
>>>>
>>>> You cant do fsck with repairs on a mounted file system. You need to boot
>>>> a live system (any distribution you like, e.g. Ubuntu) and run fsck
>>>> there. Then you should be able to change the contents on the file system
>>>> that is broken.
>>>
>>> You can if it's mounted read only. At least, that's how you fix the root
>>> file system.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> (problem now fixed)
>
> How?
>

Doing a full fsck in single user mode (no journal).

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

<tg1s92$n2g$1@lustrous.firedrake.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=289&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#289

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!nntp.terraraq.uk!news1.firedrake.org!.POSTED.mikea.ath.cx!mikea.ath.cx!mikea
From: mik...@mikea.ath.cx
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 13:04:34 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: Firedrake Synthesis
Message-ID: <tg1s92$n2g$1@lustrous.firedrake.org>
References: <tfrrsh$l2i$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfru9d$2rc1p$6@dont-email.me> <tfs3mk$cdq$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfs9bn$2sk7r$2@dont-email.me> <tfsppt$3nk$1@reader2.panix.com> <tfssma$30761$6@dont-email.me> <joeegbFs8itU28@mid.individual.net> <tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com> <tg0655$to4$1@lustrous.firedrake.org> <tg0i1i$v0$1@reader2.panix.com>
Injection-Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 13:04:34 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: lustrous.firedrake.org; posting-host="mikea.ath.cx:70.164.65.62";
logging-data="23632"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@lustrous.firedrake.org"
User-Agent: tin/2.4.4-20191224 ("Millburn") (FreeBSD/12.2-RELEASE-p12 (amd64))
X-User-Agent: tin (SOAP 3; IBM 650)
X-Approved: mikea@mikea.ath.cx
X-CLACKS: GNU Sir Terry Pratchett
X-RICKMAN: By Grabthar's Hammer!
 by: mik...@mikea.ath.cx - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 13:04 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote in <tg0i1i$v0$1@reader2.panix.com>:

> mikea@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote in <tftd65$3es$1@reader2.panix.com>:
>>
>>> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
>>>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:40:58 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2022, um 14:51:41 Uhr schrieb Louis Epstein:
>>>>>
>>>>>> As I said they were automatically filled in, probably tied to my being
>>>>>> in / (I am familiar with unmounting any OTHER partition when doing fsck
>>>>>> but how can I unmount the / when the OS is there?...since the system
>>>>>> isn't responding to a crash how do I get into a different mode?)
>>>>>
>>>>> You cant do fsck with repairs on a mounted file system. You need to boot
>>>>> a live system (any distribution you like, e.g. Ubuntu) and run fsck
>>>>> there. Then you should be able to change the contents on the file system
>>>>> that is broken.
>>>>
>>>> You can if it's mounted read only. At least, that's how you fix the root
>>>> file system.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> (problem now fixed)
>>
>> How?
>>
>
> Doing a full fsck in single user mode (no journal).

Thanks! I thought that was about the only way under the circumstances.

--
Segovia on his hatred of routine playing:
I have to be present at every note I play.


devel / comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / Absolutely Undeletable Blank Directory??

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor