Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid" -- the artificial person, from _Aliens_


devel / comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / Re: Configuring display/text

SubjectAuthor
* Configuring display/textLouis Epstein
`* Re: Configuring display/textAlastair Hogge
 `* Re: Configuring display/textLouis Epstein
  `* Re: Configuring display/textAlastair Hogge
   `* Re: Configuring display/textLouis Epstein
    `- Re: Configuring display/textLouis Epstein

1
Configuring display/text

<ubhtms$e2v$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=427&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#427

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.12.144.5.2!not-for-mail
From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Configuring display/text
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26:20 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <ubhtms$e2v$2@reader2.panix.com>
Injection-Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26:20 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="12.144.5.2";
logging-data="14431"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.2-20221225 ("Pittyvaich") (FreeBSD/13.2-RELEASE-p2 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26 UTC

A casualty of my switch from 12.4 to 13.2
has been my text display setting...where do
I have to go to make my 1920x1200 monitor
show 60+ lines of text again instead of 20+ ?

I set it in previous updates but this time I'm
still re-familiarizing.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Configuring display/text

<ubk7tr$2o0q0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=428&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#428

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: agh...@riseup.net (Alastair Hogge)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Configuring display/text
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 04:32:59 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 39
Message-ID: <ubk7tr$2o0q0$2@dont-email.me>
References: <ubhtms$e2v$2@reader2.panix.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 04:32:59 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="78bd946574ec7dcbed255a7018f22bcb";
logging-data="2884416"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/tb1j6Sv8Wfp4DZ/IJ5AuoOs0nzGDj3lg="
User-Agent: Pan/0.145 (Duplicitous mercenary valetism; d7e168a
git.gnome.org/pan2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:186IeglOHoan0SsJ10IB2M5//kA=
 by: Alastair Hogge - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 04:32 UTC

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26:20 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:

> A casualty of my switch from 12.4 to 13.2 has been my text display
> setting...where do I have to go to make my 1920x1200 monitor show 60+
> lines of text again instead of 20+ ?

By text display are you meaning graphics virtual terminal, and the
bootconsole, before X enumerates and sets a display mode from the GPU? Are
you referring to non-raster mode?

Are you using vt(4) or syscons(4),sc(4)?

Taking a guess, I would drop to the prompt at the bootloader and see what
resolutions are reported there, you can find out by typing 'gop list',
tho, that may only work for EFI hardware. I think there is also another
command for the bootloader to find display properties, it might be 'uga'?

If the 'gop list' command works, you can try and set a display mode from
that list, 'gop set <n>' where is n is the reference to the mode from the
output of 'gop list'

When you have booted successfully with your your preferred mode, you can
make permanent changes to the bootloader, for example on my desktop:

$ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/efi.conf
efi_max_resolution="2560x1440"

$ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/kern.vt.conf
kern.vt.fb.default_mode="2560x1440"

2560x1440 just happens to be the native resolution for this host.

There are all raster modes, or graphics modes, not the old IBM VGA
textmode, tho, they are modelled on that textmode, however being able to
set a larger raster display size, the rows and columns increase to fill
the large pixel space.

--
To health and anarchy

Re: Configuring display/text

<ublhci$p71$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=429&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#429

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.12.144.5.2!not-for-mail
From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Configuring display/text
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:20:34 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <ublhci$p71$1@reader2.panix.com>
References: <ubhtms$e2v$2@reader2.panix.com> <ubk7tr$2o0q0$2@dont-email.me>
Injection-Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:20:34 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="12.144.5.2";
logging-data="25825"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.2-20221225 ("Pittyvaich") (FreeBSD/13.2-RELEASE-p2 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:20 UTC

Alastair Hogge <agh@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26:20 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>
>> A casualty of my switch from 12.4 to 13.2 has been my text display
>> setting...where do I have to go to make my 1920x1200 monitor show 60+
>> lines of text again instead of 20+ ?
>
> By text display are you meaning graphics virtual terminal, and the
> bootconsole, before X enumerates and sets a display mode from the GPU? Are
> you referring to non-raster mode?

Console sessions,not X windows.
> Are you using vt(4) or syscons(4),sc(4)?
>
> Taking a guess, I would drop to the prompt at the bootloader and see what
> resolutions are reported there, you can find out by typing 'gop list',

At my bash prompt "gop list" returns a message that gop is a command not
found...someone else was suggesting I try vidcontrol but it didn't seem
to help.

> tho, that may only work for EFI hardware. I think there is also another
> command for the bootloader to find display properties, it might be 'uga'?
>
> If the 'gop list' command works, you can try and set a display mode from
> that list, 'gop set <n>' where is n is the reference to the mode from the
> output of 'gop list'
>
> When you have booted successfully with your your preferred mode, you can
> make permanent changes to the bootloader, for example on my desktop:
>
> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/efi.conf
> efi_max_resolution="2560x1440"
>
> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/kern.vt.conf
> kern.vt.fb.default_mode="2560x1440"

Will look in my backup /boot for any promising conf.

> 2560x1440 just happens to be the native resolution for this host.
>
> There are all raster modes, or graphics modes, not the old IBM VGA
> textmode, tho, they are modelled on that textmode, however being able to
> set a larger raster display size, the rows and columns increase to fill
> the large pixel space.
>

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Configuring display/text

<ubmao9$3uqe7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=430&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#430

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: agh...@riseup.net (Alastair Hogge)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Configuring display/text
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:33:29 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 64
Message-ID: <ubmao9$3uqe7$1@dont-email.me>
References: <ubhtms$e2v$2@reader2.panix.com> <ubk7tr$2o0q0$2@dont-email.me>
<ublhci$p71$1@reader2.panix.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:33:29 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="6de6082e79adab33c5d92db72c24e4ca";
logging-data="4155847"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/PHRGFcH33EJL0jLydqHGvfIICHiEqUUQ="
User-Agent: Pan/0.145 (Duplicitous mercenary valetism; d7e168a
git.gnome.org/pan2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:kMdRPCMfC1YuzZO3/sMnLt0/Q48=
 by: Alastair Hogge - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:33 UTC

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:20:34 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:

> Alastair Hogge <agh@riseup.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26:20 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>>
>>> A casualty of my switch from 12.4 to 13.2 has been my text display
>>> setting...where do I have to go to make my 1920x1200 monitor show 60+
>>> lines of text again instead of 20+ ?
>>
>> By text display are you meaning graphics virtual terminal, and the
>> bootconsole, before X enumerates and sets a display mode from the GPU?
>> Are you referring to non-raster mode?
>
> Console sessions,not X windows.

Are you using vt or syscons? The man pages for either should have some
information to help you along.

>> Are you using vt(4) or syscons(4),sc(4)?
>>
>> Taking a guess, I would drop to the prompt at the bootloader and see
>> what resolutions are reported there, you can find out by typing 'gop
>> list',
>
> At my bash prompt "gop list" returns a message that gop is a command not
> found...someone else was suggesting I try vidcontrol but it didn't seem
> to help.

gop is for the bootloader, this is before the kernel is booted, there is
normally a menu with some ASCII graphics, and prompts for booting other
kernels, booting with verbose information, and so on.

>> tho, that may only work for EFI hardware. I think there is also another
>> command for the bootloader to find display properties, it might be
>> 'uga'?
>>
>> If the 'gop list' command works, you can try and set a display mode
>> from that list, 'gop set <n>' where is n is the reference to the mode
>> from the output of 'gop list'
>>
>> When you have booted successfully with your your preferred mode, you
>> can make permanent changes to the bootloader, for example on my
>> desktop:
>>
>> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/efi.conf efi_max_resolution="2560x1440"
>>
>> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/kern.vt.conf
>> kern.vt.fb.default_mode="2560x1440"
>
> Will look in my backup /boot for any promising conf.

That is a file I added locally to customise that host with that display
configuration, it is provided as an example for you to replicate.

>> 2560x1440 just happens to be the native resolution for this host.
>>
>> There are all raster modes, or graphics modes, not the old IBM VGA
>> textmode, tho, they are modelled on that textmode, however being able
>> to set a larger raster display size, the rows and columns increase to
>> fill the large pixel space.

--
To health and anarchy

Re: Configuring display/text

<ubuei8$5he$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=431&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#431

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.12.144.5.2!not-for-mail
From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Configuring display/text
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 01:27:36 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <ubuei8$5he$1@reader2.panix.com>
References: <ubhtms$e2v$2@reader2.panix.com> <ubk7tr$2o0q0$2@dont-email.me> <ublhci$p71$1@reader2.panix.com> <ubmao9$3uqe7$1@dont-email.me>
Injection-Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 01:27:36 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="12.144.5.2";
logging-data="5678"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.2-20221225 ("Pittyvaich") (FreeBSD/13.2-RELEASE-p2 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 01:27 UTC

Alastair Hogge <agh@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:20:34 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>
>> Alastair Hogge <agh@riseup.net> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26:20 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>>>
>>>> A casualty of my switch from 12.4 to 13.2 has been my text display
>>>> setting...where do I have to go to make my 1920x1200 monitor show 60+
>>>> lines of text again instead of 20+ ?
>>>
>>> By text display are you meaning graphics virtual terminal, and the
>>> bootconsole, before X enumerates and sets a display mode from the GPU?
>>> Are you referring to non-raster mode?
>>
>> Console sessions,not X windows.
>
> Are you using vt or syscons? The man pages for either should have some
> information to help you along.
>
>>> Are you using vt(4) or syscons(4),sc(4)?
>>>
>>> Taking a guess, I would drop to the prompt at the bootloader and see
>>> what resolutions are reported there, you can find out by typing 'gop
>>> list',
>>
>> At my bash prompt "gop list" returns a message that gop is a command not
>> found...someone else was suggesting I try vidcontrol but it didn't seem
>> to help.
>
> gop is for the bootloader, this is before the kernel is booted, there is
> normally a menu with some ASCII graphics, and prompts for booting other
> kernels, booting with verbose information, and so on.
>
>>> tho, that may only work for EFI hardware. I think there is also another
>>> command for the bootloader to find display properties, it might be
>>> 'uga'?
>>>
>>> If the 'gop list' command works, you can try and set a display mode
>>> from that list, 'gop set <n>' where is n is the reference to the mode
>>> from the output of 'gop list'
>>>
>>> When you have booted successfully with your your preferred mode, you
>>> can make permanent changes to the bootloader, for example on my
>>> desktop:
>>>
>>> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/efi.conf efi_max_resolution="2560x1440"
>>>
>>> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/kern.vt.conf
>>> kern.vt.fb.default_mode="2560x1440"
>>
>> Will look in my backup /boot for any promising conf.
>
> That is a file I added locally to customise that host with that display
> configuration, it is provided as an example for you to replicate.
>
>>> 2560x1440 just happens to be the native resolution for this host.
>>>
>>> There are all raster modes, or graphics modes, not the old IBM VGA
>>> textmode, tho, they are modelled on that textmode, however being able
>>> to set a larger raster display size, the rows and columns increase to
>>> fill the large pixel space.
>
>

This problem has gone away (I am back to a small font
taking over in the middle of multi-use boot-up) without
any deliberate action being the cause.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Configuring display/text

<uc5ic5$5q8$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=435&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#435

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!panix!.POSTED.12.144.5.2!not-for-mail
From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Configuring display/text
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:15:33 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: PANIX Public Access Internet and UNIX, NYC
Message-ID: <uc5ic5$5q8$2@reader2.panix.com>
References: <ubhtms$e2v$2@reader2.panix.com> <ubk7tr$2o0q0$2@dont-email.me> <ublhci$p71$1@reader2.panix.com> <ubmao9$3uqe7$1@dont-email.me> <ubuei8$5he$1@reader2.panix.com>
Injection-Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:15:33 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader2.panix.com; posting-host="12.144.5.2";
logging-data="5960"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@panix.com"
User-Agent: tin/2.6.2-20221225 ("Pittyvaich") (FreeBSD/13.2-RELEASE-p2 (amd64))
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:15 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Alastair Hogge <agh@riseup.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:20:34 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>>
>>> Alastair Hogge <agh@riseup.net> wrote:
>>>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:26:20 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> A casualty of my switch from 12.4 to 13.2 has been my text display
>>>>> setting...where do I have to go to make my 1920x1200 monitor show 60+
>>>>> lines of text again instead of 20+ ?
>>>>
>>>> By text display are you meaning graphics virtual terminal, and the
>>>> bootconsole, before X enumerates and sets a display mode from the GPU?
>>>> Are you referring to non-raster mode?
>>>
>>> Console sessions,not X windows.
>>
>> Are you using vt or syscons? The man pages for either should have some
>> information to help you along.
>>
>>>> Are you using vt(4) or syscons(4),sc(4)?
>>>>
>>>> Taking a guess, I would drop to the prompt at the bootloader and see
>>>> what resolutions are reported there, you can find out by typing 'gop
>>>> list',
>>>
>>> At my bash prompt "gop list" returns a message that gop is a command not
>>> found...someone else was suggesting I try vidcontrol but it didn't seem
>>> to help.
>>
>> gop is for the bootloader, this is before the kernel is booted, there is
>> normally a menu with some ASCII graphics, and prompts for booting other
>> kernels, booting with verbose information, and so on.
>>
>>>> tho, that may only work for EFI hardware. I think there is also another
>>>> command for the bootloader to find display properties, it might be
>>>> 'uga'?
>>>>
>>>> If the 'gop list' command works, you can try and set a display mode
>>>> from that list, 'gop set <n>' where is n is the reference to the mode
>>>> from the output of 'gop list'
>>>>
>>>> When you have booted successfully with your your preferred mode, you
>>>> can make permanent changes to the bootloader, for example on my
>>>> desktop:
>>>>
>>>> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/efi.conf efi_max_resolution="2560x1440"
>>>>
>>>> $ cat /boot/loader.conf.d/kern.vt.conf
>>>> kern.vt.fb.default_mode="2560x1440"
>>>
>>> Will look in my backup /boot for any promising conf.
>>
>> That is a file I added locally to customise that host with that display
>> configuration, it is provided as an example for you to replicate.
>>
>>>> 2560x1440 just happens to be the native resolution for this host.
>>>>
>>>> There are all raster modes, or graphics modes, not the old IBM VGA
>>>> textmode, tho, they are modelled on that textmode, however being able
>>>> to set a larger raster display size, the rows and columns increase to
>>>> fill the large pixel space.
>>
>>
>
> This problem has gone away (I am back to a small font
> taking over in the middle of multi-use boot-up) without
> any deliberate action being the cause.

The point at which the font shrinks is loading kernel modules.
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.


devel / comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / Re: Configuring display/text

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor