Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

"Money is the root of all money." -- the moving finger


devel / comp.unix.solaris / Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)

SubjectAuthor
* Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)nemo
`* Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)Cindy Swearingen
 `* Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)nemo
  `- Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)nemo

1
Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)

<16bb3894582f551b$1$3165828$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=48&group=comp.unix.solaris#48

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
X-Mozilla-News-Host: news://news.newsdemon.com:119
From: inva...@invalid.invalid (nemo)
Subject: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:18:18 -0500
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.13.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-CA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <16bb3894582f551b$1$3165828$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com>
Lines: 16
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!tr3.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!news.newsdemon.com!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:18:19 +0000
X-Received-Bytes: 860
Organization: NewsDemon - www.newsdemon.com
X-Complaints-To: abuse@newsdemon.com
 by: nemo - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:18 UTC

Greetings.

| My SB2500 rebooted and failed with the following error.
| | Rebooting with command: boot
| Boot device: disk:a File and args:
| ERROR: /packages/deblocker: Last Trap: Data Access Error
|Short disk read

The system had been up for a few months before this.
Advice and assistance gratefully and gladly accepted.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
N.

Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)

<e242f9c8-5d15-4c17-bf8d-063dbb573b01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=49&group=comp.unix.solaris#49

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:a09:: with SMTP id i9mr31023882qka.768.1638199110359;
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:18:30 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:2893:: with SMTP id j19mr40133229qkp.21.1638199110102;
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:18:30 -0800 (PST)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:18:29 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <16bb3894582f551b$1$3165828$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=148.87.23.11; posting-account=7YzgrQoAAAC9wZt620Zc1n76QLa_wKsk
NNTP-Posting-Host: 148.87.23.11
References: <16bb3894582f551b$1$3165828$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <e242f9c8-5d15-4c17-bf8d-063dbb573b01n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)
From: cindy.sw...@gmail.com (Cindy Swearingen)
Injection-Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:18:30 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Lines: 17
 by: Cindy Swearingen - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:18 UTC

On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 3:18:23 PM UTC-7, nemo wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> | My SB2500 rebooted and failed with the following error.
> |
> | Rebooting with command: boot
> | Boot device: disk:a File and args:
> | ERROR: /packages/deblocker: Last Trap: Data Access Error
> |Short disk read
>
> The system had been up for a few months before this.
> Advice and assistance gratefully and gladly accepted.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> N.
The "Short disk read" error was associated with older SPARC boot PROMs that cannot boot from a root partition larger than 2 GB. Did the size of the root partition change?

Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)

<16bc0eadeb7dc3da$1$2270211$4d54e64@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=50&group=comp.unix.solaris#50

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
References: <16bb3894582f551b$1$3165828$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com> <e242f9c8-5d15-4c17-bf8d-063dbb573b01n@googlegroups.com>
From: inva...@invalid.invalid (nemo)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:41:43 -0500
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.13.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <e242f9c8-5d15-4c17-bf8d-063dbb573b01n@googlegroups.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-CA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <16bc0eadeb7dc3da$1$2270211$4d54e64@news.newsdemon.com>
Lines: 30
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!news.newsdemon.com!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:41:44 +0000
X-Received-Bytes: 1491
X-Complaints-To: abuse@newsdemon.com
Organization: NewsDemon - www.newsdemon.com
 by: nemo - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:41 UTC

Greetings, Cindy.

On 2021-11-29 10:18, Cindy Swearingen wrote:
> On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 3:18:23 PM UTC-7, nemo wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> | My SB2500 rebooted and failed with the following error.
>> |
>> | Rebooting with command: boot
>> | Boot device: disk:a File and args:
>> | ERROR: /packages/deblocker: Last Trap: Data Access Error
>> |Short disk read
>>
>> The system had been up for a few months before this.
>> Advice and assistance gratefully and gladly accepted.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> N.
>
> The "Short disk read" error was associated with older SPARC boot PROMs that
> cannot boot from a root partition larger than 2 GB. Did the size of the
> root partition change?

No -- nothing has changed in years and before this, the box ran for
years without problems. The filesystem is ZFS.

N.

Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)

<16bc21b0a72c1bf9$1$3319089$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51&group=comp.unix.solaris#51

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
References: <16bb3894582f551b$1$3165828$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com> <e242f9c8-5d15-4c17-bf8d-063dbb573b01n@googlegroups.com> <16bc0eadeb7dc3da$1$2270211$4d54e64@news.newsdemon.com>
From: inva...@invalid.invalid (nemo)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:30:06 -0500
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.13.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <16bc0eadeb7dc3da$1$2270211$4d54e64@news.newsdemon.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-CA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <16bc21b0a72c1bf9$1$3319089$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>
Lines: 57
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!news.newsdemon.com!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:30:07 +0000
X-Received-Bytes: 2532
X-Complaints-To: abuse@newsdemon.com
Organization: NewsDemon - www.newsdemon.com
 by: nemo - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:30 UTC

Update: Further to my message below, I simply tried booting off the disc
again. This time, I was told of a memory problem and advised to run
"fmadm faulty". The latter told me the following:

======================================
Fault class : fault.memory.bank 95%
Affects : mem:///unum=DIMM0,DIMM1
faulted but still in service

Description : One or more uncorrectable memory errors occurred.

Response : The system will attempt to remove the affected physical
memory page from service after restart of one or more
services, or the entire system.

Impact : This error may cause either a system panic or restart of
one or more user processes, with resulting interruption in
service.
======================================

So I will replace those two DIMMs and see what happens.

N.

On 2021-11-29 10:41, nemo wrote:
> Greetings, Cindy.
>
> On 2021-11-29 10:18, Cindy Swearingen wrote:
>> On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 3:18:23 PM UTC-7, nemo wrote:
>>> Greetings.
>>>
>>> | My SB2500 rebooted and failed with the following error.
>>> |
>>> | Rebooting with command: boot
>>> | Boot device: disk:a File and args:
>>> | ERROR: /packages/deblocker: Last Trap: Data Access Error
>>> |Short disk read
>>>
>>> The system had been up for a few months before this.
>>> Advice and assistance gratefully and gladly accepted.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> N.
> >
>> The "Short disk read" error was associated with older SPARC boot PROMs
>> that cannot boot from a root partition larger than 2 GB. Did the size
>> of the root partition change?
>
> No -- nothing has changed in years and before this, the box ran for
> years without problems.  The filesystem is ZFS.
>
> N.
>


devel / comp.unix.solaris / Boot fails with data access error (Solaris 10 on SB2500 Red)

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor