Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

The world is no nursery. -- Sigmund Freud


devel / comp.unix.solaris / Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

SubjectAuthor
* Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?Kenny McCormack
+- Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?Winston
+- Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?Grant Taylor
`* Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?Casper H.S. Dik
 `* Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?Kenny McCormack
  +- Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?Winston
  `- Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?Doug McIntyre

1
Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

<s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=5&group=comp.unix.solaris#5

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.snarked.org!xmission!nnrp.xmission!.POSTED.shell.xmission.com!not-for-mail
From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 15:24:17 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: The official candy of the new Millennium
Message-ID: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com>
Injection-Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 15:24:17 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: news.xmission.com; posting-host="shell.xmission.com:166.70.8.4";
logging-data="535002"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@xmission.com"
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test77 (Sep 1, 2010)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 6 May 2021 15:24 UTC

I used to have SPARC machines here, but they have all been lost over the
years in various moves and/or disasters.

But I still have one single 32 bit SPARC application that it would be nice
to be able to run now and again. It is a relatively simple, command line
only program. I have actually run it (sort of) using QEMU (the version of
QEMU where you give it a single program to run, rather than a full boot of
the foreign OS) under Linux on X86 and/or ARM. However, it doesn't
actually run because of library dependencies. I have tried (once, long
ago) to obtain the libraries, but could never quite get all that is needed.

So, hence the question in the Subject line. I would be willing to run this
app in some kind of virtual machine if necessary, presumably using QEMU.

I did some research, and it sounds like the answer is No, but you never can
tell; it sure looks like Oracle did everything possible to screw things up.

--
The randomly chosen signature file that would have appeared here is more than 4
lines long. As such, it violates one or more Usenet RFCs. In order to remain
in compliance with said RFCs, the actual sig can be found at the following URL:
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Snicker

Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

<ydsg2zhkhh.fsf@UBEblock.psr.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6&group=comp.unix.solaris#6

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!5GfVQBJwFYiDscHeWLxOgQ.user.gioia.aioe.org.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: wbe...@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid (Winston)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 12:53:30 -0400
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Lines: 26
Message-ID: <ydsg2zhkhh.fsf@UBEblock.psr.com>
References: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 5GfVQBJwFYiDscHeWLxOgQ.user.gioia.aioe.org
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
User-Agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/27.2 (berkeley-unix)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:Kl0yZs9Fd4h6JTq0TiZOBuLAp1o=
Mail-Copies-To: never
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.9.2
 by: Winston - Thu, 6 May 2021 16:53 UTC

gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
...
> But I still have one single 32 bit SPARC application that it would be nice
> to be able to run now and again. It is a relatively simple, command line
> only program. [...] However, it doesn't
> actually run because of library dependencies. I have tried (once, long
> ago) to obtain the libraries, but could never quite get all that is needed.
>
> So, hence the question in the Subject line.

I probably can't help other than posting this followup ...

Which version was the application compiled for, and which libraries do
you know it needs?

You say "any version". Some versions of Solaris were open source, so
getting libraries (or even the whole O/S) for those may be easier than
for the proprietary versions.

If pretty much any of the OpenSolaris versions will do, look up
OpenIndiana and Illumos. Its goal was OpenSolaris with non-free code
replaced. There was also Nexenta which had a Solaris kernel and GNU
userland.

HTH,
-WBE

Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

<s721s2$jlr$3@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=7&group=comp.unix.solaris#7

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!tncsrv06.tnetconsulting.net!tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net!.POSTED.alpha.home.tnetconsulting.net!not-for-mail
From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 18:31:19 -0600
Organization: TNet Consulting
Message-ID: <s721s2$jlr$3@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>
References: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 00:33:06 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net; posting-host="alpha.home.tnetconsulting.net:198.18.18.251";
logging-data="20155"; mail-complaints-to="newsmaster@tnetconsulting.net"
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/78.9.0
In-Reply-To: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com>
Content-Language: en-US
 by: Grant Taylor - Fri, 7 May 2021 00:31 UTC

On 5/6/21 9:24 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

I'd suggest checking eBay, The Internet Archive, and various abandon
ware websites. eBay may give you the warm and fuzzy feeling of you've
purchased a copy. YMMV

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

<609d1960$0$29332$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=8&group=comp.unix.solaris#8

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!nzpost1.xs4all.net!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?
References: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com>
From: Casper....@OrSPaMcle.COM (Casper H.S. Dik)
User-Agent: nn/6.6.2
Date: 13 May 2021 12:19:44 GMT
Lines: 37
Message-ID: <609d1960$0$29332$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 7d19cdc3.news.xs4all.nl
X-Trace: G=x5u+ychC,C=U2FsdGVkX18QPSpR1a0o6Hnol6vMAU8y4P19x3r3s0SQEl7RXdUkVmQDDz4zi2VFfGMmXTcDMEP10IeURigXH7L+n4Xco0ToNtJDfEIrNCE=
X-Complaints-To: abuse@xs4all.nl
 by: Casper H.S. Dik - Thu, 13 May 2021 12:19 UTC

gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:

>I used to have SPARC machines here, but they have all been lost over the
>years in various moves and/or disasters.

>But I still have one single 32 bit SPARC application that it would be nice
>to be able to run now and again. It is a relatively simple, command line
>only program. I have actually run it (sort of) using QEMU (the version of
>QEMU where you give it a single program to run, rather than a full boot of
>the foreign OS) under Linux on X86 and/or ARM. However, it doesn't
>actually run because of library dependencies. I have tried (once, long
>ago) to obtain the libraries, but could never quite get all that is needed.

>So, hence the question in the Subject line. I would be willing to run this
>app in some kind of virtual machine if necessary, presumably using QEMU.

>I did some research, and it sounds like the answer is No, but you never can
>tell; it sure looks like Oracle did everything possible to screw things up.

What type of 32 bit application is it; is it really old (SunOS 4.x) or is
Solaris 2.x+?

What type of libraries does it use? It seems to be not graphic so you
have a bigger chance of success on modern Solaris.

Solaris 7 was the first version of Solaris with a 64 bit kernel and
so the ability to run 64 binaries.

But Solaris has been able to run 32 bit binaries still; upto
Solaris 11.3 most of the binaries in the OS are 32 bit. It is on
Solaris 11.4 that most system supplied binaries are 64 bit; but
Solaris still support 32 bit binaries.

Of course, ypu'd need a SPARC system but I think there are a few
feasible SPARC emulators though I could think of one right now.

Casper

Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

<svna2f$141d6$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=66&group=comp.unix.solaris#66

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!xmission!nnrp.xmission!.POSTED.shell.xmission.com!not-for-mail
From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:32:15 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: The official candy of the new Millennium
Message-ID: <svna2f$141d6$1@news.xmission.com>
References: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com> <609d1960$0$29332$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>
Injection-Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:32:15 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: news.xmission.com; posting-host="shell.xmission.com:166.70.8.4";
logging-data="1181094"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@xmission.com"
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test77 (Sep 1, 2010)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:32 UTC

In article <609d1960$0$29332$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@OrSPaMcle.COM> wrote:
>gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
>
>>I used to have SPARC machines here, but they have all been lost over the
>>years in various moves and/or disasters.
>
>>But I still have one single 32 bit SPARC application that it would be nice
>>to be able to run now and again. It is a relatively simple, command line
>>only program. I have actually run it (sort of) using QEMU (the version of
>>QEMU where you give it a single program to run, rather than a full boot of
>>the foreign OS) under Linux on X86 and/or ARM. However, it doesn't
>>actually run because of library dependencies. I have tried (once, long
>>ago) to obtain the libraries, but could never quite get all that is needed.
>
>>So, hence the question in the Subject line. I would be willing to run this
>>app in some kind of virtual machine if necessary, presumably using QEMU.
>
>>I did some research, and it sounds like the answer is No, but you never can
>>tell; it sure looks like Oracle did everything possible to screw things up.
>
>What type of 32 bit application is it; is it really old (SunOS 4.x) or is
>Solaris 2.x+?
>
>What type of libraries does it use? It seems to be not graphic so you
>have a bigger chance of success on modern Solaris.
>
>Solaris 7 was the first version of Solaris with a 64 bit kernel and
>so the ability to run 64 binaries.
>
>But Solaris has been able to run 32 bit binaries still; upto
>Solaris 11.3 most of the binaries in the OS are 32 bit. It is on
>Solaris 11.4 that most system supplied binaries are 64 bit; but
>Solaris still support 32 bit binaries.
>
>Of course, ypu'd need a SPARC system but I think there are a few
>feasible SPARC emulators though I could think of one right now.

(Finally got around to responding to this...)

Actually, I'd also be interested in possibly buying a SPARC system to run
this app on. As I mentioned in the OP (posted about a year ago), I used to
have one. It was about the size and shape of a shoebox and cost me about
$90 (including the OS).

I bought it from some dealer who was mentioned in this newsgroup. At this
point in time, I have no idea who it was or any contact info.

Anyway, any info anyone can provide about good places to go looking now,
would be appreciated. I looked briefly on eBay and everything was too
big/complex for what I want and (way) too expensive. I realize that
everything is (much) more expensive now than it was not too long ago, but
hopefully, I can find something that's not too too expensive.

Also, the idea of a SPARC emulator would be nice - except then I'd have to
get the OS from somewhere.

--
If you think you have any objections to anything I've said above, please
navigate to this URL:
http://www.xmission.com/~gazelle/Truth
This should clear up any misconceptions you may have.

Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

<ydh78g8cjh.fsf@UBEblock.psr.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=67&group=comp.unix.solaris#67

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!F27FZjotXSOprNc+aWsnFA.user.46.165.242.75.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: wbe...@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid (Winston)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 12:55:14 -0500
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Message-ID: <ydh78g8cjh.fsf@UBEblock.psr.com>
References: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com>
<609d1960$0$29332$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>
<svna2f$141d6$1@news.xmission.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
Injection-Info: gioia.aioe.org; logging-data="26015"; posting-host="F27FZjotXSOprNc+aWsnFA.user.gioia.aioe.org"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@aioe.org";
User-Agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/27.2 (berkeley-unix)
Mail-Copies-To: never
Cancel-Lock: sha1:2VzWTC83ItE9hPVYSo7opdjEXtE=
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.9.2
 by: Winston - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:55 UTC

gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
> Also, the idea of a SPARC emulator would be nice - except then I'd
> have to get the OS from somewhere.

A Google search for "SunOS 4.1.4 download" produced several results.
One was to fsck.technology which has a sunos_4.1.4_install.iso (378.2
MB). [I know nothing about them, so this is not a recommendation or
statement of trustworthiness; I'm just saying that 4.1.4 appears to be
available.]
-WBE

Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

<xPqdnZHiaK50XYL_nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=68&group=comp.unix.solaris#68

  copy link   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!1.us.feeder.erje.net!3.us.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 13:09:29 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?
References: <s711n1$gaeq$1@news.xmission.com> <609d1960$0$29332$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> <svna2f$141d6$1@news.xmission.com>
From: mer...@dork.geeks.org (Doug McIntyre)
User-Agent: nn/6.7.3
Message-ID: <xPqdnZHiaK50XYL_nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 13:09:29 -0600
Lines: 25
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-fB0sNYUjrcZk4t7T+7czUGoX3UVXbiSNrzvYKKtsxbzYmU2RNVI3H1N5mvHL5PB5HpQ2pwuxPQ4N6bu!FyJd0RUJRShotIoobRVjRT17KCcchw/Y6xeVmyVW3Sgt9muCmzSowOQNHFEJyEXSKUXLrEzmedMY!6w==
X-Complaints-To: abuse@giganews.com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 2000
 by: Doug McIntyre - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:09 UTC

gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
>Actually, I'd also be interested in possibly buying a SPARC system to run
>this app on. As I mentioned in the OP (posted about a year ago), I used to
>have one. It was about the size and shape of a shoebox and cost me about
>$90 (including the OS).

>I bought it from some dealer who was mentioned in this newsgroup. At this
>point in time, I have no idea who it was or any contact info.

32-bit SPARC systems are getting to be museum pieces now.

I'd expect the $750-$999 prices that eBay are getting for Sun IPX and
Sun Sparcstation 20 are probably going to be the norm unless you can
find somebody to just give you one for the price of shipping.

Those were probably the most common 32-bit models still left.

Otherwise, you can try hitting up the mailing list
The Rescue List <rescue@sunhelp.org>

To see if anybody has any dealers left.

--
Doug McIntyre
doug@themcintyres.us


devel / comp.unix.solaris / Re: Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor