From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Truly awful attorney
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 20:31:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 20:31 UTC

Man charged with drunk driving has truly awful public defender. These
guys don't have time to represent clients so they pressure them to
settle. Well, this guy wanted a trial which is his right under the law.

At times, the attorney was so uncooperative, the client had to file his
own paperwork.

Here's something I've never heard of: The defendant had a 9 am court
call. If you've ever been to a busy courthouse at the beginning of call,
there is a huge line to get through metal detectors, and the courtroom
was so busy, he had to wait for people would come out before he could
get in.

He entered the room at 9:07.

It wouldn't have mattered if he'd been inside at 9 am. His attorney and
the prosecutor worked out a deal to have the case moved up to 8:45 am.
The attorney answered "ready for trial" despite the absense of the
client. The two attorneys conspire to get a bench warrant issued; the
guy spends a couple of weeks in lockup.

He's already out on bail he can't afford and cannot post the higher
bail. At some point, he's forced to plead guilty because his brother,
from whom he borrowed bail monies, is desperate to get the money back.

He sues the public defender.

There's plenty of video evidence thanks to surveillance cameras
everywhere and there's audio of the two attorneys in which they agree to
get the bench warrant issued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txfVJ6VACE

Re: Truly awful attorney

<atropos-5B8473.13351226072023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=196180&group=rec.arts.tv#196180

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Truly awful attorney
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:35:12 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 20:35 UTC

In article <u9rvqb$1j4r7$2@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Man charged with drunk driving has truly awful public defender. These
> guys don't have time to represent clients so they pressure them to
> settle. Well, this guy wanted a trial which is his right under the law.
>
> At times, the attorney was so uncooperative, the client had to file his
> own paperwork.
>
> Here's something I've never heard of: The defendant had a 9 am court
> call. If you've ever been to a busy courthouse at the beginning of call,
> there is a huge line to get through metal detectors, and the courtroom
> was so busy, he had to wait for people would come out before he could
> get in.
>
> He entered the room at 9:07.
>
> It wouldn't have mattered if he'd been inside at 9 am. His attorney and
> the prosecutor worked out a deal to have the case moved up to 8:45 am.
> The attorney answered "ready for trial" despite the absense of the
> client. The two attorneys conspire to get a bench warrant issued; the
> guy spends a couple of weeks in lockup.
>
> He's already out on bail he can't afford and cannot post the higher
> bail. At some point, he's forced to plead guilty because his brother,
> from whom he borrowed bail monies, is desperate to get the money back.
>
> He sues the public defender.
>
> There's plenty of video evidence thanks to surveillance cameras
> everywhere and there's audio of the two attorneys in which they agree
> to get the bench warrant issued.

Hope he filed an ethics complaint with the state bar, too.

Re: Truly awful attorney

<u9s440$1ir7e$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=196204&group=rec.arts.tv#196204

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:44:31 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:44 UTC

On 2023-07-26 4:31 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Man charged with drunk driving has truly awful public defender. These
> guys don't have time to represent clients so they pressure them to
> settle. Well, this guy wanted a trial which is his right under the law.
>
> At times, the attorney was so uncooperative, the client had to file his
> own paperwork.
>
> Here's something I've never heard of: The defendant had a 9 am court
> call. If you've ever been to a busy courthouse at the beginning of call,
> there is a huge line to get through metal detectors, and the courtroom
> was so busy, he had to wait for people would come out before he could
> get in.
>
> He entered the room at 9:07.
>
> It wouldn't have mattered if he'd been inside at 9 am. His attorney and
> the prosecutor worked out a deal to have the case moved up to 8:45 am.
> The attorney answered "ready for trial" despite the absense of the
> client. The two attorneys conspire to get a bench warrant issued; the
> guy spends a couple of weeks in lockup.
>
> He's already out on bail he can't afford and cannot post the higher
> bail. At some point, he's forced to plead guilty because his brother,
> from whom he borrowed bail monies, is desperate to get the money back.
>
> He sues the public defender.
>
> There's plenty of video evidence thanks to surveillance cameras
> everywhere and there's audio of the two attorneys in which they agree to
> get the bench warrant issued.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txfVJ6VACE

That public defender REALLY needs to be disbarred AND then sued for
whatever money he cost the defendant in this case.

--
Rhino

Re: Truly awful attorney

<u9s4km$1joal$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=196208&group=rec.arts.tv#196208

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:53:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:53 UTC

>On 2023-07-26 4:31 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>Man charged with drunk driving has truly awful public defender. These
>>guys don't have time to represent clients so they pressure them to
>>settle. Well, this guy wanted a trial which is his right under the law.

>>At times, the attorney was so uncooperative, the client had to file his
>>own paperwork.

>>Here's something I've never heard of: The defendant had a 9 am court
>>call. If you've ever been to a busy courthouse at the beginning of call,
>>there is a huge line to get through metal detectors, and the courtroom
>>was so busy, he had to wait for people would come out before he could
>>get in.

>>He entered the room at 9:07.

>>It wouldn't have mattered if he'd been inside at 9 am. His attorney and
>>the prosecutor worked out a deal to have the case moved up to 8:45 am.
>>The attorney answered "ready for trial" despite the absense of the
>>client. The two attorneys conspire to get a bench warrant issued; the
>>guy spends a couple of weeks in lockup.

>>He's already out on bail he can't afford and cannot post the higher
>>bail. At some point, he's forced to plead guilty because his brother,
>>from whom he borrowed bail monies, is desperate to get the money back.

>>He sues the public defender.

>>There's plenty of video evidence thanks to surveillance cameras
>>everywhere and there's audio of the two attorneys in which they agree to
>>get the bench warrant issued.

>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txfVJ6VACE

>That public defender REALLY needs to be disbarred AND then sued for
>whatever money he cost the defendant in this case.

The prosecutor too. Both attorneys screwed with the defendant. The judge
didn't have to let them get away with it either given that he was there
long before her morning call ended.

Re: Truly awful attorney

<u9s79m$1k56c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=196222&group=rec.arts.tv#196222

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 18:38:45 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:38 UTC

On 2023-07-26 5:53 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-07-26 4:31 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>>> Man charged with drunk driving has truly awful public defender. These
>>> guys don't have time to represent clients so they pressure them to
>>> settle. Well, this guy wanted a trial which is his right under the law.
>
>>> At times, the attorney was so uncooperative, the client had to file his
>>> own paperwork.
>
>>> Here's something I've never heard of: The defendant had a 9 am court
>>> call. If you've ever been to a busy courthouse at the beginning of call,
>>> there is a huge line to get through metal detectors, and the courtroom
>>> was so busy, he had to wait for people would come out before he could
>>> get in.
>
>>> He entered the room at 9:07.
>
>>> It wouldn't have mattered if he'd been inside at 9 am. His attorney and
>>> the prosecutor worked out a deal to have the case moved up to 8:45 am.
>>> The attorney answered "ready for trial" despite the absense of the
>>> client. The two attorneys conspire to get a bench warrant issued; the
>>> guy spends a couple of weeks in lockup.
>
>>> He's already out on bail he can't afford and cannot post the higher
>>> bail. At some point, he's forced to plead guilty because his brother,
>> >from whom he borrowed bail monies, is desperate to get the money back.
>
>>> He sues the public defender.
>
>>> There's plenty of video evidence thanks to surveillance cameras
>>> everywhere and there's audio of the two attorneys in which they agree to
>>> get the bench warrant issued.
>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txfVJ6VACE
>
>> That public defender REALLY needs to be disbarred AND then sued for
>> whatever money he cost the defendant in this case.
>
> The prosecutor too. Both attorneys screwed with the defendant. The judge
> didn't have to let them get away with it either given that he was there
> long before her morning call ended.

Good point: all three should probably be disbarred for "bringing the
administration of justice into disrepute". Of course that probably WON'T
happen; some fellow lawyer somewhere in the system will have their back
and decide this is no big deal.

--
Rhino

arts / rec.arts.tv / Truly awful attorney