Don't guess -- check your security regulations.

interests / alt.food.wine / Re: TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Julien

SubjectAuthor
* TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Juliendalewilli...@gmail.com
`* Re: TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St JulienMark Lipton
 `- Re: TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Juliendalewilli...@gmail.com

1
TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Julien

<ab574150-7f31-43d8-b208-8eede61497d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=97&group=alt.food.wine#97

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 12:19:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Julien
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 20 May 2021 19:19 UTC

Betsy is in CA, but it was a beautiful warm day yesterday, so I invited some old friends over for dinner on patio. Started with radish-leaf pesto on breakfast radishes, and shrimp cocktail.

2020 Arnot-Roberts Rose
Not 100% Touriga Nacional this year. Not in front, but I think 2/3s TN, with rest Cab Franc, Gamay, Grenache. Pale, light body, but good persistence on finish. 11.5 abv so this will be a nice patio sipper in the summer. Watermelon, strawberry, citrus zest. B

2014 Bize “les Perrieres” Bourgogne Blanc
Sweet apple, lemon, snappy acids, chalk. Really nice. B+

Main was a mixed grill (skirt steak, Polish beef sausages, lamb merguez), quinoa, grilled squash with za’atar, salad

2000 Ch. Gloria
After a disappointing bottle Monday (from a group purchase) I decided to dig out my stash. More fruit, rather plush style with plum fruit, a little leather, mocha. Moderate finish. Good mature well-priced ($20 at release) claret with a slightly modern twist. B

One friend has a birthday today, a year from a big one, but we decided to celebrate early
1962 Ch. Gruaud Larose
Old style Cordier bottle, well into (long) neck. Really lovely and elegant claret, resolved tannin, moderate acids, nose of dark fruit and old books. On palate balanced, blackcurrant accented with leather and forest floor. Good finish, very pleased with showing. A-

Really great being with old friends.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Julien

<s875m7$otq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=98&group=alt.food.wine#98

From: not...@ude.eudrup (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 22:25:14 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Fri, 21 May 2021 02:25 UTC

On 5/20/21 3:19 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> One friend has a birthday today, a year from a big one, but we decided to celebrate early
> 1962 Ch. Gruaud Larose
> Old style Cordier bottle, well into (long) neck. Really lovely and elegant claret, resolved tannin, moderate acids, nose of dark fruit and old books. On palate balanced, blackcurrant accented with leather and forest floor. Good finish, very pleased with showing. A-

Wow, nice to hear, Dale. This has been the week for older Gruaud
Larose around here. I can't say that I've heard much about '62 in Bdx.
'61 and '66 seem to get most of the press.

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Julien

<5412d91a-838a-4339-9ba6-b0218e7249dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=100&group=alt.food.wine#100

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:16:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 21 May 2021 18:16 UTC

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:25:16 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/20/21 3:19 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > One friend has a birthday today, a year from a big one, but we decided to celebrate early
> > 1962 Ch. Gruaud Larose
> > Old style Cordier bottle, well into (long) neck. Really lovely and elegant claret, resolved tannin, moderate acids, nose of dark fruit and old books. On palate balanced, blackcurrant accented with leather and forest floor.. Good finish, very pleased with showing. A-
> Wow, nice to hear, Dale. This has been the week for older Gruaud
> Larose around here. I can't say that I've heard much about '62 in Bdx.
> '61 and '66 seem to get most of the press.
>
> Mark Lipton

1962 I think has always been in the shadow of 1961, but is a very good vintage (I just looked, Decanter gave it 4 out of 5). But you don't see it around much.
I think the conventional wisdom of '60s claret (which I see no reason to dispute) is
1961 on top
1962, 1964 RB 1966 Medoc
1966 RB
1967, 1964 Medoc

I don't think anyone thinks 1960, 1963, 1965, 1968,. 1969 are worth thinking about (I did have a '69 Pavillon Blanc that was fun)