Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

interests / alt.obituaries / Semi-OT: On the afterlife

SubjectAuthor
* Semi-OT: On the afterlifeLenona
+- Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlifeTerry del Fuego
`* Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlifeAdam H. Kerman
 `* Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlifeKenny McCormack
  `* Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlifeTerry del Fuego
   +- Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlifeAdam H. Kerman
   `- Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlifeKenny McCormack

1
Semi-OT: On the afterlife

<e50faa0c-59d5-4652-a86d-b68a19e4f25fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10003&group=alt.obituaries#10003

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 22:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Semi-OT: On the afterlife
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 05:27 UTC

Found this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/o15f2p/my_dad_said_if_all_women_are_selfish_and_start/

Here's the relevant comment (there are two other unrelated comments nearby, about the end of the world):

"When I was quite religious, this was my main argument for not having children. I don't have to worry about them potentially going to hell (because most people will according to any Abrahamic religion).
Islam actually discourages having kids and multiple wives if you really pay attention to the verses. It encourages adopting the orphans as it is the most noble, Godly and selfless thing one can do. Generically related children are referred to a personal pride, a distraction and a sign of wealth but not a ticket to heaven; in fact I remember seeing a verse that says something along "

Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlife

<5lhmcgptgslrq7kq1p9auf2pn7fp5jb9dm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10005&group=alt.obituaries#10005

From: t_del_fu...@hotmail.com (Terry del Fuego)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlife
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 05:57:57 -0700
 by: Terry del Fuego - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 12:57 UTC

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 22:27:58 -0700 (PDT), Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Islam actually discourages having kids

All intentional birth is abuse.

Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlife

<safnct$mjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10006&group=alt.obituaries#10006

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:49:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:49 UTC

Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Found this:

>https://old.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/o15f2p/my_dad_said_if_all_women_are_selfish_and_start/

>Here's the relevant comment (there are two other unrelated comments
>nearby, about the end of the world):

>"When I was quite religious, this was my main argument for not having
>children. I don't have to worry about them potentially going to hell
>(because most people will according to any Abrahamic religion).

No, the afterlife and heaven versus hell as reward/punishment is largely
a Christian concept, not a Jewish concept. I have no idea what Muslims believe.

>Islam actually discourages having kids and multiple wives if you really
>pay attention to the verses. It encourages adopting the orphans as it is
>the most noble, Godly and selfless thing one can do. Generically related
>children are referred to a personal pride, a distraction and a sign of
>wealth but not a ticket to heaven; in fact I remember seeing a verse
>that says something along "

Ok.

Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlife

<safo1p$2aloc$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10007&group=alt.obituaries#10007

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:00:09 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:00 UTC

In article <safnct$mjt$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Found this:
>
>>https://old.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/o15f2p/my_dad_said_if_all_women_are_selfish_and_start/
>
>>Here's the relevant comment (there are two other unrelated comments
>>nearby, about the end of the world):
>
>>"When I was quite religious, this was my main argument for not having
>>children. I don't have to worry about them potentially going to hell
>>(because most people will according to any Abrahamic religion).
>
>No, the afterlife and heaven versus hell as reward/punishment is largely
>a Christian concept, not a Jewish concept.

I think it is implicit in Judaism. Christianity makes it more explicit,
that is true.

>I have no idea what Muslims believe.

They believe that if you fly jets into buildings, you get rewarded with 72
virgins.

Or is that raisins?

(More research is needed...)
--
Just remember:

Pence is all the evil, with none of the crazy.

Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlife

<i7fncgd6sc1mvm8ju3ifdf9l257rtk3vvk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10012&group=alt.obituaries#10012

From: t_del_fu...@hotmail.com (Terry del Fuego)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:22:39 -0700
 by: Terry del Fuego - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 21:22 UTC

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:00:09 -0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com
(Kenny McCormack) wrote:

>I think it is implicit in Judaism.

<https://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm>

"Traditional Judaism firmly believes that death is not the end of
human existence. However, because Judaism is primarily focused on life
here and now rather than on the afterlife, Judaism does not have much
dogma about the afterlife, and leaves a great deal of room for
personal opinion. It is possible for an Orthodox Jew to believe that
the souls of the righteous dead go to a place similar to the Christian
heaven, or that they are reincarnated through many lifetimes, or that
they simply wait until the coming of the messiah, when they will be
resurrected. Likewise, Orthodox Jews can believe that the souls of the
wicked are tormented by demons of their own creation, or that wicked
souls are simply destroyed at death, ceasing to exist."

Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlife

<sagnc2$asb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10016&group=alt.obituaries#10016

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:54:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:54 UTC

Terry del Fuego <t_del_fuego@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:00:09 -0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com
>(Kenny McCormack) wrote:

>>I think it is implicit in Judaism.

><https://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm>

>"Traditional Judaism firmly believes that death is not the end of
>human existence.

Existence, but human?

>However, because Judaism is primarily focused on life
>here and now rather than on the afterlife, Judaism does not have much
>dogma about the afterlife, and leaves a great deal of room for
>personal opinion. It is possible for an Orthodox Jew to believe that
>the souls of the righteous dead go to a place similar to the Christian
>heaven, or that they are reincarnated through many lifetimes, or that
>they simply wait until the coming of the messiah, when they will be
>resurrected. Likewise, Orthodox Jews can believe that the souls of the
>wicked are tormented by demons of their own creation, or that wicked
>souls are simply destroyed at death, ceasing to exist."

Basically, you get to believe what you like.

Re: Semi-OT: On the afterlife

<sagnfn$2b7u5$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10017&group=alt.obituaries#10017

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:56:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:56 UTC

In article <i7fncgd6sc1mvm8ju3ifdf9l257rtk3vvk@4ax.com>,
Terry del Fuego <t_del_fuego@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:00:09 -0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com
>(Kenny McCormack) wrote:
>
>>I think it is implicit in Judaism.
>
><https://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm>
>
>"Traditional Judaism firmly believes that death is not the end of
>human existence. However, because Judaism is primarily focused on life
>here and now rather than on the afterlife, Judaism does not have much
>dogma about the afterlife, and leaves a great deal of room for
>personal opinion. It is possible for an Orthodox Jew to believe that
>the souls of the righteous dead go to a place similar to the Christian
>heaven, or that they are reincarnated through many lifetimes, or that
>they simply wait until the coming of the messiah, when they will be
>resurrected. Likewise, Orthodox Jews can believe that the souls of the
>wicked are tormented by demons of their own creation, or that wicked
>souls are simply destroyed at death, ceasing to exist."

Thank you. That is very interesting.

I want to stress that my previous comment did start with "I think", and,
as such, is exactly that. It is what I think.

--
In the corner of the room on the ceiling is a large vampire bat who
is obviously deranged and holding his nose.