From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [slashem] Lost Bell of Opening
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 00:36:18 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:36 UTC

Dlvl:62, Vibrating Square level; noticed that my Bell of Opening
is missing - shocking! Where could I have lost it? Didn't recall.
Levelporting to dlvl:1, descending the various branches, mines,
the four quests, etc. etc., once again, looking under every heap,
far-looking at every silver tool. Frustrating! Imagined where I
could have missed to find it on my second descending; in a heap
below other tools, dropped in a pool of water, a pet could have
relocated it to another place, or what else could happen to miss
it? - I finally found it in Dispater's lair at dlvl:56, so I can
now continue to get the Wizard's Book. But the question remains;
after such a mishap, what could one do to effectively search and
find an indispensable but lost item? On my way I took a glass orb
with me to support the search, but what else could be done beyond
the hard way of flipping every stone, looting the various watery
or lava levels?

Janis