From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [slashem] Mishap at Sanctum
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 15:53:17 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:53 UTC

My Slashem episode to retrieve the Amulet went the usual way; I visited
Asmodeus, took him down to the Sanctum level to let him get the Amulet.
By accident I hit him, so - scared as he was - he danced around me at
the stairs, not intending to go for the Amulet. Finally he was confident
again, teleported to the inner Sanctum and returned. A quick ESP-farlook
turned out to have been wise; the high priest was still alive, obviously
because Asmodeus got hit so hard that he fled for the stairs once again.
Rinse repeat, after he vanished again and reappeared the high priest was
gone. So I killed Asmodeus, just to notice no amulet in his possessions.
Doh! - It must have been that after Asmodeus killed the high priest he
was so low on HPs and scared again, too scared to pick the Amulet from
the high priest's remains. - So I had to get it the boring way... *sigh*

Janis