Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 07:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: U.N. Report Says China May Have Committed Crimes Against Humanity
in Xinjiang
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 14:07 UTC

On Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 1:30:31 PM UTC, David P. wrote:
> U.N. Report Says China May Have Committed Crimes Against Humanity in Xinjiang
> By Chun Han Wong and James T. Areddy, Sept. 1, 2022, WSJ
>
> Human-rights groups applauded the report’s release, expressing hope it will generate a strong response from U.N. member states and international corporations.
>
> “The High Commissioner’s damning findings explain why the Chinese government fought tooth and nail to prevent the publication of her Xinjiang report, which lays bare China’s sweeping rights abuses,” Sophie Richardson, China director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.
>
> “This is a game-changer for the international response to the Uyghur crisis,” Uyghur Human Rights Project Executive Director Omer Kanat said in a statement.
>
> Among those held in Xinjiang is Uyghur intellectual Ilham Tohti who in 2014 was jailed for life on charges of separatism; on Wednesday, his U.S.-based daughter Jewher Ilham said she welcomed the U.N. report but that it brings her “little comfort” because she believes her father was jailed on charges he didn’t deserve and that she has had no contact with him for nine years.
>
> Xinjiang, a swath of desert and mountains abutting Central Asia, is home to roughly 14 million Turkic-speaking Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities. Rights activists and scholars estimate that Chinese authorities in the region have funneled more than a million people through internment camps, while implementing political indoctrination, forced labor, family separations, strict birth controls and restrictions on religious practices that target Uyghur and other Muslim communities.
>
> The U.S. State Dept and lawmakers in Canada, the U.K., and France have argued that China’s actions in Xinjiang amount to a form of genocide. An independent, U.K.-based panel of lawyers, academics and activists came to the same conclusion in December following a yearlong investigation.
>
> Agricultural and industrial supply chains involving Xinjiang are under new scrutiny because the region is a major producer of cotton, tomatoes and chemicals used in high-technology applications such as solar cells. Concerns about Xinjiang were a basis for the Biden administration and some other Western governments to diplomatically boycott this year’s winter Olympics in Beijing.
>
> Beijing has denied committing rights violations in Xinjiang, calling genocide allegations “the lie of the century.” Chinese leader Xi Jinping has said that the party’s policies in Xinjiang are “completely correct,” and that they helped restore stability to a region once racked by ethnic violence and deadly attacks against symbols of Beijing’s authority. He visited the region in July.

> [...]

The statement is per the report
"The extent of arbitrary and discriminatory detention of members of Uyghur and
other predominantly Muslim groups, pursuant to law and policy, in context of restrictions
and deprivation more generally of fundamental rights enjoyed individually and collectively,
may constitute international crimes, in particular crimes against humanity."

1. How arbitrary is arbitrary? How discriminatory is discriminatory?
These are the grey areas at present without consensus.

2. The conclusion is based on leaked document deemed reliable. But they
do not really know whether they have the fact.

3. The report is based on the deposition of a small number of people whose
names were not randomly generated. Against, their inputs are deemed reliable.
Could they really give a full picture on what have been going on in Xinjiang?