Having no talent is no longer enough. -- Gore Vidal

interests / soc.culture.china / The most powerful languages in the world

SubjectAuthor
* The most powerful languages in the worldltlee1
+* Re: The most powerful languages in the worldstoney
|`- Re: The most powerful languages in the worldltlee1
`- Re: The most powerful languages in the worldltlee1

1
The most powerful languages in the world

<dc5ca6f4-7432-4e3f-b5f8-ce1767ecee7cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10686&group=soc.culture.china#10686

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 06:17:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The most powerful languages in the world
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:17 UTC

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/these-are-the-most-powerful-languages-in-the-world/

"There are over 6,000 languages spoken in the world today, but some 2,000 of them count fewer than 1,000 speakers. Moreover, just 15 account for half of the languages spoken in the world.

In a globalized world with multilingual societies, knowledge of languages is paramount in facilitating communication and in allowing people to participate in society’s cultural, economic and social activities. A pertinent question to ask then is: which are the most useful languages? If an alien were to land on Earth, which language would enable it to most fully engage with humans?

To understand the efficacy of language (and by extension culture), consider the doors (“opportunities”) opened by it. Broadly speaking, there are five opportunities provided by language:

1. Geography: The ability to travel
2. Economy: The ability to participate in an economy
3. Communication: The ability to engage in dialogue
4. Knowledge and media: The ability to consume knowledge and media
5. Diplomacy: The ability to engage in international relations
So which languages are the most powerful?"

According to the World Economic Forum, the the 10 most powerful langues
are English, Mandarin, Spanish, French, Arab, Russian, German, Japanese, Portugese, Hindi.

Of course, the ranking above is a matter of methodology and would certainly change over time. But English is expected to remain dominant in the foreseeable future.

Question: Is global language global destiny?

Re: The most powerful languages in the world

<5d6127c9-ee87-41de-b5c0-230bc4e6f4edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10699&group=soc.culture.china#10699

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:36:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The most powerful languages in the world
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 18:36 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 9:17:54 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/these-are-the-most-powerful-languages-in-the-world/
>
> "There are over 6,000 languages spoken in the world today, but some 2,000 of them count fewer than 1,000 speakers. Moreover, just 15 account for half of the languages spoken in the world.
>
> In a globalized world with multilingual societies, knowledge of languages is paramount in facilitating communication and in allowing people to participate in society’s cultural, economic and social activities. A pertinent question to ask then is: which are the most useful languages? If an alien were to land on Earth, which language would enable it to most fully engage with humans?
>
> To understand the efficacy of language (and by extension culture), consider the doors (“opportunities”) opened by it. Broadly speaking, there are five opportunities provided by language:
>
> 1. Geography: The ability to travel
> 2. Economy: The ability to participate in an economy
> 3. Communication: The ability to engage in dialogue
> 4. Knowledge and media: The ability to consume knowledge and media
> 5. Diplomacy: The ability to engage in international relations
> So which languages are the most powerful?"
>
> According to the World Economic Forum, the the 10 most powerful langues
> are English, Mandarin, Spanish, French, Arab, Russian, German, Japanese, Portugese, Hindi.
>
> Of course, the ranking above is a matter of methodology and would certainly change over time. But English is expected to remain dominant in the foreseeable future.
>
> Question: Is global language global destiny?

A global language is when most people choose to prefer to speak in places where the 10 most powerful languages are not spoken .

Re: The most powerful languages in the world

<f8eaa778-179a-4b75-85e5-d4fc9bc147dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10701&group=soc.culture.china#10701

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 12:11:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 19:11 UTC

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 6:36:31 PM UTC, stoney wrote:
> On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 9:17:54 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> > https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/these-are-the-most-powerful-languages-in-the-world/
> >
> > "There are over 6,000 languages spoken in the world today, but some 2,000 of them count fewer than 1,000 speakers. Moreover, just 15 account for half of the languages spoken in the world.
> >
> > In a globalized world with multilingual societies, knowledge of languages is paramount in facilitating communication and in allowing people to participate in society’s cultural, economic and social activities. A pertinent question to ask then is: which are the most useful languages? If an alien were to land on Earth, which language would enable it to most fully engage with humans?
> >
> > To understand the efficacy of language (and by extension culture), consider the doors (“opportunities”) opened by it. Broadly speaking, there are five opportunities provided by language:
> >
> > 1. Geography: The ability to travel
> > 2. Economy: The ability to participate in an economy
> > 3. Communication: The ability to engage in dialogue
> > 4. Knowledge and media: The ability to consume knowledge and media
> > 5. Diplomacy: The ability to engage in international relations
> > So which languages are the most powerful?"
> >
> > According to the World Economic Forum, the the 10 most powerful langues
> > are English, Mandarin, Spanish, French, Arab, Russian, German, Japanese, Portugese, Hindi.
> >
> > Of course, the ranking above is a matter of methodology and would certainly change over time. But English is expected to remain dominant in the foreseeable future.
> >
> > Question: Is global language global destiny?
> A global language is when most people choose to prefer to speak in places where the 10 most powerful languages are not spoken .

The 10 most powerful languages are presently the most global languages.

Re: The most powerful languages in the world

<e1c57e35-96e8-48a1-97c8-490d2a518864n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12126&group=soc.culture.china#12126

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 12:16:04 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 20:16 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 1:17:54 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/these-are-the-most-powerful-languages-in-the-world/
>
> "There are over 6,000 languages spoken in the world today, but some 2,000 of them count fewer than 1,000 speakers. Moreover, just 15 account for half of the languages spoken in the world.
>
> In a globalized world with multilingual societies, knowledge of languages is paramount in facilitating communication and in allowing people to participate in society’s cultural, economic and social activities. A pertinent question to ask then is: which are the most useful languages? If an alien were to land on Earth, which language would enable it to most fully engage with humans?
>
> To understand the efficacy of language (and by extension culture), consider the doors (“opportunities”) opened by it. Broadly speaking, there are five opportunities provided by language:
>
> 1. Geography: The ability to travel
> 2. Economy: The ability to participate in an economy
> 3. Communication: The ability to engage in dialogue
> 4. Knowledge and media: The ability to consume knowledge and media
> 5. Diplomacy: The ability to engage in international relations
> So which languages are the most powerful?"
>
> According to the World Economic Forum, the the 10 most powerful langues
> are English, Mandarin, Spanish, French, Arab, Russian, German, Japanese, Portugese, Hindi.
>
> Of course, the ranking above is a matter of methodology and would certainly change over time. But English is expected to remain dominant in the foreseeable future.
>
> Question: Is global language global destiny?

At present, English being the most powerful language is contributing to global disunity.
Too many English using commentators are repeating each other's false statements carelessly.
For example, many feel free to comment on China although they don't know much about China.
To the degree that they are not being challenged, they are also defining the standard downward.
The more they concentrate their effort on Xi, they farther they are away from the Chinese people.

The world would be a better place if those who comment of country X can good knowledge in
Chinese and Chinese history.