Theory is gray, but the golden tree of life is green. -- Goethe

interests / rec.games.chess.misc / Re: concept: conflict avoidance

SubjectAuthor
* Re: concept: conflict avoidanceElvenverb
`- Re: concept: conflict avoidanceWilliam Hyde

1
Re: concept: conflict avoidance

<5490f151-428a-41b9-8cde-f0e55231fc30n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1074

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 22:16:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: concept: conflict avoidance
From: jfwal...@gmail.com (Elvenverb)
 by: Elvenverb - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 05:16 UTC

On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 10:36:17 AM UTC-6, Phil Innes wrote:
> On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 7:32:32 AM UTC-5, Eli Kesef wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 11:35:36 PM UTC+2, Phil Innes wrote:
> > > Dear Bill,
> > >
> > > Truly delighted to contact you again, and I have already conceived a number of things to recount, and shall raise them, inter alia those who have passed these dozen years since we last wrote anything substantial and their import and certainly to address the extant and evident qualitative wasteland here.
> > >
> > > Though I will pause for the now since an on-coming storm, for Trono too I think, will limit an immediate continuation, especially since I am lead cook in a community kitchen absent our principal off to Germany and the Czech Republic: we are sort of ground zero for hunger, after us, the wall; and must attend to that tomorrow at 6am, also the welfare of other mostly retired volunteers sliding in and distributing what we have, and we are due to receive a shit-load of snow.
> > >
> > > It is such that if we don't feed 'em, there is no where else to go, and in a town of just 12,000 people we are producing 1600+ meals per week.
> > >
> > > Ask me about cooking Halal for Afghan refugees, then again, Vermont is also receiving Ukrainians now.
> > Bs"d
> >
> > It is good to feed the hungry, but you should also teach them chess.
> You are quite correct Eli, except we might be careful here of exceptionalism, especially of the American kind. There may well be some, even a considerable, overlapping in factors of the two disciplines, such as human nature being dilated upon in both.. Besides it is the player who moves the pieces, and the player does so for his own reasons, often independent of public acclaim or approval. Here we see chess players as more than half a game score, and something to do with them as people, a perhaps greater factor in the greater scope of things. In a while I will ask Dr. Hyde his best sense of these things in relationship to Mark Taimanov, whom we jointly interviewed, but let me not rush this.
>
> There may too be something like the difference twixt psychology; about what goes on within a person, to anthropology, of what goes between persons in any culture small or large. A local and current example is a refugee Afghan girl age 8 who calls me 'grandfather' and in her own country would be fortunate to be taught to read — here in the US will it be okay with her parents to teach her chess? She is an exceptionally bright and engaging child.
>
> Please stay tuned though, since I feel we are about to enter into these qualitative realms, beyond the merely quantitative Elo and common commentary in both senses of common.
>
> Cordially, Jekyll

Thanks for the responses. I had that advice for many years but could never be disciplined enough to follow it. It was demoralizing for me to have to move away instead of trading. I've got it under control again, and there is some thrill to hiding from the enemy.

Re: concept: conflict avoidance

<4267b933-da79-43d7-9cf1-aa6a73bb1230n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1076

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 14:05:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:05 UTC

On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 1:16:25 AM UTC-4, Elvenverb wrote:
> On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 10:36:17 AM UTC-6, Phil Innes wrote:

> > > Bs"d
> > >
> > > It is good to feed the hungry, but you should also teach them chess.
> > You are quite correct Eli, except we might be careful here of exceptionalism, especially of the American kind. There may well be some, even a considerable, overlapping in factors of the two disciplines, such as human nature being dilated upon in both.. Besides it is the player who moves the pieces, and the player does so for his own reasons, often independent of public acclaim or approval. Here we see chess players as more than half a game score, and something to do with them as people, a perhaps greater factor in the greater scope of things. In a while I will ask Dr. Hyde his best sense of these things in relationship to Mark Taimanov, whom we jointly interviewed, but let me not rush this.
> >
> > There may too be something like the difference twixt psychology; about what goes on within a person, to anthropology, of what goes between persons in any culture small or large. A local and current example is a refugee Afghan girl age 8 who calls me 'grandfather' and in her own country would be fortunate to be taught to read — here in the US will it be okay with her parents to teach her chess? She is an exceptionally bright and engaging child.
> >
> > Please stay tuned though, since I feel we are about to enter into these qualitative realms, beyond the merely quantitative Elo and common commentary in both senses of common.
> >
> > Cordially, Jekyll
> Thanks for the responses. I had that advice for many years but could never be disciplined enough to follow it. It was demoralizing for me to have to move away instead of trading. I've got it under control again, and there is some thrill to hiding from the enemy.

One more thing though - look for a threat, as Lasker advises. He won a number of games from hopelessly lost positions, in part
by conjuring up threats. Don't just move your piece away.

In many lost positions, far more than most of us realize, there are subtle threats that can be made.

If you are truly lost the opponent will have a safe way of dealing with the threat, and it may even rebound to his advantage, but
will he find it? If you are lost, you have little to lose. In my very last tournament game I was dead lost, and sacrificed a
pawn. It could be taken in three ways, and all lost. Or it could be declined and I would have made his win a bit easier. But
when there are three ways to take a pawn, one doesn't spend much thought on declining it, especially when the clock
is ticking.

The old Fritz program, on the other hand, declined the pawn after a couple of minutes thought. So when I am a piece down
against Stockfish at level six or above I take a brief look for chances and, generally finding none, resign forthwith.

William Hyde