From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [slashem] Bones-file alert
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 20:09:05 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:09 UTC

Somewhere below the mine-town... Descended the stairs and got a
bones-file alert[*]. I far-see two monsters with difficulty '4'.
Oh, I remember - that was a Star Vampire that killed a very good
character of mine - my ghost was probably the other '4'. So I
engraved the E-word, stethoscope-tested that vampire, tried out
wands of cold (unlikely that it works at all) and magic missile,
but quite no effect on that buddy with ~140 HP and AC:-5. Luckily
I already found a luckstone just recently in the mines so I think
I'll better skip the rest of the mines (despite that likely very
worthwhile bones heap).

Janis

[*] I installed a script to inform me about created and deleted
(=loaded) bones files.

Re: [slashem] Bones-file alert

<77103c47-c3f7-447c-9ab3-a9ff7c88fa2an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1095&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#1095

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:18:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [slashem] Bones-file alert
From: magicbym...@yahoo.com (Chris Bowers)
 by: Chris Bowers - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:18 UTC

Of course. Skip for now, come back when you are comparable level to the one that died OR if you find a way to kill (star vampires was it?) quickly and easily. If you find an altar bless your weapon for more damage, scrolls of enchant weapon, etc.

Re: [slashem] Bones-file alert

<sgbigv$bb0$1@news-1.m-online.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1096&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#1096

From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 22:38:55 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:38 UTC

[ Bones file with a star vampire that blocked progress down the
mines to mine end, delayed exploring the level ]

On 27.08.2021 21:18, Chris Bowers wrote:
> Of course. Skip for now, come back when you are comparable level to
> the one that died OR if you find a way to kill (star vampires was
> it?) quickly and easily. If you find an altar bless your weapon for
> more damage, scrolls of enchant weapon, etc.

It was easier to solve that expected; a few levels upstairs I met
a cockatrice that left a corpse. Took the opportunity to quickly
return to the bones level before the corpse gets moldy. Alas, the
star vampire turned around a corner and vanished; no trap or such,
so I assumed a shape changer. petrified the rest of the horde and
retrieved the loot. Not very exciting, though; the most interesting
was a gray dragon scale mail that I did not want to wear because I
was playing a monk (IIRC). Anyway, I think that character followed
the path of many adventurers and died at some point later.

Janis