All great discoveries are made by mistake. -- Young

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?Bloke Down The Pub
`* Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?T
 `* Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?songbird
  +- Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?Bloke Down The Pub
  `* Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?T
   `* Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?Snag
    `- Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?T

1
Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

<i42dnf5w8tvGBR79nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=107&group=rec.gardens.edible#107

From: cabl...@xxxx.iinet.net.au (Bloke Down The Pub)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:03:43 +0800
 by: Bloke Down The Pub - Sat, 24 Apr 2021 04:03 UTC

"T" <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:s5fl5l$m19$1@dont-email.me...
> On 4/17/21 7:25 AM, songbird wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>>
>>> How many seeds per pot?
>>
>> 3-4, how many plants you want?
>>
>> warm soil temperature is really important for peppers 80-85F.
>>

>> songbird
>>

> I have the seeds. You gave me beautiful instructions on
> how to harvest them.
>
> I am well aware that they may fail because of the cold.
> If I wait too long, earwigs will eat the sprouts.
>
> I would try them indoors, but my wife is allergic
> to soil (mold allergy). Worst come to worst, I
> will have to buy them from Bonnie from Wally World.

You could still plant them in pots outside, chose a sheltered position and
use 2 litre soft drinks bottles with the bottoms cut off as mini green
houses. Obviously use pots that will fit inside the bottles which will
protect the soil as well as the plants.

Mike

Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

<s60h85$fm0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=108&group=rec.gardens.edible#108

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 00:27:01 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 24 Apr 2021 07:27 UTC

On 4/23/21 9:03 PM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
> "T" <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:s5fl5l$m19$1@dont-email.me...

>>> 3-4, how many plants you want?
>>>
>>> warm soil temperature is really important for peppers 80-85F.
>>>

>>> songbird
>>>

>> I have the seeds. You gave me beautiful instructions on
>> how to harvest them.
>>
>> I am well aware that they may fail because of the cold.
>> If I wait too long, earwigs will eat the sprouts.
>>
>> I would try them indoors, but my wife is allergic
>> to soil (mold allergy). Worst come to worst, I
>> will have to buy them from Bonnie from Wally World.
>
> You could still plant them in pots outside, chose a sheltered position and
> use 2 litre soft drinks bottles with the bottoms cut off as mini green
> houses. Obviously use pots that will fit inside the bottles which will
> protect the soil as well as the plants.
>
> Mike

Thank you!

Do they protect against the freeze?

Do you need t open them up in the day to let
new air in and respiration out?

Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

<23ddlh-kq2.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109&group=rec.gardens.edible#109

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 07:47:14 -0400
 by: songbird - Sat, 24 Apr 2021 11:47 UTC

T wrote:
> On 4/23/21 9:03 PM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:

>>> I have the seeds. You gave me beautiful instructions on
>>> how to harvest them.
>>>
>>> I am well aware that they may fail because of the cold.
>>> If I wait too long, earwigs will eat the sprouts.
>>>
>>> I would try them indoors, but my wife is allergic
>>> to soil (mold allergy). Worst come to worst, I
>>> will have to buy them from Bonnie from Wally World.
>>
>> You could still plant them in pots outside, chose a sheltered position and
>> use 2 litre soft drinks bottles with the bottoms cut off as mini green
>> houses. Obviously use pots that will fit inside the bottles which will
>> protect the soil as well as the plants.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Thank you!
>
> Do they protect against the freeze?
>
> Do you need t open them up in the day to let
> new air in and respiration out?

i don't recommend this sort of thing for someone who's not
around frequenly enough to keep track of conditions.

you can fry, freeze or dry out a plant too easily left out,
it's much better to do things in a more controlled area until
the weather outside gets at least warm enough to make sure
you're not freezing the plants and you have enough roots in
the ground to provide a moisture buffer for drying out and also
the thermal mass which keeps things at least a bit more stable.

a plant in a pot with a cover over it, you can do that for
some plants, in dappled light and under trees and such, but
once there is direct light that can get way too hot too quickly.

i just know that some people are not that attentive and can
forget to water or check on things so ... imo better to be
safer than to lose plants.

one problem i can have with some planted things in pots here
are raccoons seeking food or smelling fertilizers and thinking
they're food. some potting mixes have long-release fertilizers
included and often that is made with fish emulsions or other
stuff that smells too much like food to a raccoon.

songbird

Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

<KJOdnSqAzsW5rhv9nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110&group=rec.gardens.edible#110

From: cabl...@xxxx.iinet.net.au (Bloke Down The Pub)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:16:33 +0800
 by: Bloke Down The Pub - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 04:16 UTC

"songbird" <songbird@anthive.com> wrote in message
>T wrote:
>> On 4/23/21 9:03 PM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
>>> "T" <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> You could still plant them in pots outside, chose a sheltered position
>>> and
>>> use 2 litre soft drinks bottles with the bottoms cut off as mini green
>>> houses. Obviously use pots that will fit inside the bottles which will
>>> protect the soil as well as the plants.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Do they protect against the freeze?
>>
>> Do you need t open them up in the day to let
>> new air in and respiration out?
>
> i don't recommend this sort of thing for someone who's not
> around frequenly enough to keep track of conditions.
>
> you can fry, freeze or dry out a plant too easily left out,
> it's much better to do things in a more controlled area until
> the weather outside gets at least warm enough to make sure
> you're not freezing the plants and you have enough roots in
> the ground to provide a moisture buffer for drying out and also
> the thermal mass which keeps things at least a bit more stable.
>
> a plant in a pot with a cover over it, you can do that for
> some plants, in dappled light and under trees and such, but
> once there is direct light that can get way too hot too quickly.
>
> i just know that some people are not that attentive and can
> forget to water or check on things so ... imo better to be
> safer than to lose plants.
>
> one problem i can have with some planted things in pots here
> are raccoons seeking food or smelling fertilizers and thinking
> they're food. some potting mixes have long-release fertilizers
> included and often that is made with fish emulsions or other
> stuff that smells too much like food to a raccoon.
>

> songbird

I agree with most things here you do need to keep them in a sheltered
position possibly under a tree or the eves of the house, keeping them closed
maintains the humidity and if the pots are in a container you can top the
container up with water to keep the pots moist. Certainly don't try this in
direct sunlight or during the summer, just imagine sitting in your car in
the sunlight.

Mike

Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

<s6f6ed$sgl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=111&group=rec.gardens.edible#111

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 13:54:37 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 20:54 UTC

On 4/24/21 4:47 AM, songbird wrote:
> one problem i can have with some planted things in pots here
> are raccoons seeking food or smelling fertilizers and thinking
> they're food. some potting mixes have long-release fertilizers
> included and often that is made with fish emulsions or other
> stuff that smells too much like food to a raccoon.

Every so often I see something about sticking some
fish (Asian carp?) at the bottom of your hole and
"see what happens". I can't help but think "Oh, I see something dug up
all my plants with fish under it!"

:'(

The fertilizer I use, if chicken scat based.

Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

<s6fb7u$va5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=112&group=rec.gardens.edible#112

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 17:16:33 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 22:16 UTC

On 4/29/2021 3:54 PM, T wrote:
> On 4/24/21 4:47 AM, songbird wrote:
>> one problem i can have with some planted things in pots here
>> are raccoons seeking food or smelling fertilizers and thinking
>> they're food.  some potting mixes have long-release fertilizers
>> included and often that is made with fish emulsions or other
>> stuff that smells too much like food to a raccoon.
>
> Every so often I see something about sticking some
> fish (Asian carp?) at the bottom of your hole and
> "see what happens".  I can't help but think "Oh, I see something dug up
> all my plants with fish under it!"
>
> :'(
>
> The fertilizer I use, if chicken scat based.

Be careful T , fresh chicken shit can be very hard on your plants . I
let the hay/shit from out hen house compost for at least 6 months before
using it on the garden - I don't know the history of the stuff you're
using so ... Rabbit shit , however , can be used right away , and has
better long-term nourishment for your plants .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Re: ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

<s6gi70$oad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=113&group=rec.gardens.edible#113

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 02:21:34 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 09:21 UTC

On 4/29/21 3:16 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 4/29/2021 3:54 PM, T wrote:
>> On 4/24/21 4:47 AM, songbird wrote:
>>> one problem i can have with some planted things in pots here
>>> are raccoons seeking food or smelling fertilizers and thinking
>>> they're food.  some potting mixes have long-release fertilizers
>>> included and often that is made with fish emulsions or other
>>> stuff that smells too much like food to a raccoon.
>>
>> Every so often I see something about sticking some
>> fish (Asian carp?) at the bottom of your hole and
>> "see what happens".  I can't help but think "Oh, I see something dug
>> up all my plants with fish under it!"
>>
>> :'(
>>
>> The fertilizer I use, if chicken scat based.
>>

>   Be careful T , fresh chicken shit can be very hard on your plants . I
> let the hay/shit from out hen house compost for at least 6 months before
> using it on the garden - I don't know the history of the stuff you're
> using so ... Rabbit shit , however , can be used right away , and has
> better long-term nourishment for your plants .

Ya, I have heard that several places.

I buy my chicken s*** in a bag at wally world. Organic fertilizer for
tomatoes (means it has more calcium).

I have heard that goat s*** works well too.

And the freakin' neighborhood cats keep s***ing
in my garden too. Time to place some toothpicks!