From: me...@entrez.cc (Michael Meyer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Monster attacking itself?
Date: 4 Nov 2021 18:33:33 GMT
Sender: Michael Meyer <entrez@rain.local>
 by: Michael Meyer - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 18:33 UTC

I'm curious about some hitmm code in the current release that ensures
messages about a silver-hating monster attacking itself with a silver
weapon will make grammatical sense ("John's silver saber sears his own
flesh!" instead of "himself's flesh!") -- is this just futureproofing,
or is there a way that this is could happen in-game?

paxed noted that a confused long worm can attack its own tail segment,
but it seems like the silver-hater stuff wouldn't apply in that case...
well, at least not until wereworms with silver teeth are added :). Are
there any other circumstances under which a monster can attack itself?

- Michael