Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 12:35:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Sam Huff, NFL Hall of Famer, 87
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:35 UTC

Surprised none of y'all NFL acolytes have as yet paid tribute to the late linebacker Huff (who expired on Saturday, November 13th), as he was a standout for sure. What I was unaware of was his quite-interesting bio.

For several games I was privileged at pretty close range to watch hefty Huff hit hapless St. Louis Cardinal running backs and receivers. This was because the Cards were in the same division as Huff's latter team the Redskins*, the Sonny Jurgensen**-led franchise based at the District of Columbia's beautiful RFK Stadium--and thus the so-called 'Skins always played the so-called Big Red home-and-home each fall, and therefore every year in St. Louis.

All this happened just a quarter-mile southwest of The Gateway Arch, at now-razed Busch Memorial Stadium (which was on the lot directly north of where the new and current Busch Stadium is sited).

I say "close range" because my beloved father's four season-ticket seats were near the southern goalllne on the east sideline, just seven rows up from the field--so we could all but feel the clacking when their helmets collided in the NFL's less-concussion-concerned days. (And those old maroon lids festooned with that pointed-to-the-sky Indian spear were among my all-time fave NFL helmet designs!)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
* Anyone triggered should think of them as "The Washington Team".
** If I was still plying my old comedy-club MC schtick, at this point I'd offer $5 out of my pocket to any audience member (heckler or otherwise) who could tell me Sonny's true first and middle names. (That would be Christian Adolph.)