Newsgroups: soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Quora on THAT IS WHAT CONQUERING NATIONS DO.
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 08:54:36 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 15:54 UTC

Icon for Jon’s political corner
Jon’s political corner ·
Follow
Answered by
David Ameen
Tue
Do you think we should rename Columbus day to Indigenous peoples day?
No. When I was substitute teaching the subject of injustice to Native
Americans came up. After a few minutes of whining about how terrible
white colonists were I was ready for them to get back on topic so I told
them “We killed their people and took their land. THAT IS WHAT
CONQUERING NATIONS DO. If you don't like it don't like it DON'T LET
YOURSELF BE CONQUERED. The Seminoles never surrendered. And BTW the
Native Americans were doing the same thing to each other before
Europeans got here: The Comanchies drove the Apachies completely out of
TX. They killed their people and took their land. The Crow were only too
happy to join the US Army as scouts against the Souix and everyone hated
the Navajo.” I'm not excusing broken treaties, what Thomas Jefferson did
to the Houmas or what Jackson did to the Creek & Cherokee. In my younger
days I displayed a bumper sticker that read CUSTER HAD IT COMING. But
revising history to suit woke activists does no public good.

Profile photo for Barb Venmerc
Barb Venmerc
21h ago
As our great grandmother would wisely say “One thing has nothing to do
with the other". An exploring sailor and crew comes upon previously
unknown land far away from home. A terrific event, and although the land
was there before he saw it, this was a discovery for him. Subsequent
events have nothing to do with his original voyage. He was not
responsible for what others did. Subsequent events have been invented
and twisted around by a lot of very hateful people who have a strange
agenda. Do they hate discoverers and explorers? Or Europens? Do they
want to undermine US history and replace it with their invented one? Or
do they enjoy stirring everyone up, getting them to argue, then leave,
laughing. Accusing strangers of murder and slavery without knowing them
is extremely primitive, uneducated, prejudiced and moronic

Profile photo for Mark Acuna
Mark Acuna
Tue
So what is next? The Martin Luther King Holiday gets changed to George
Floyd Day since he was such as upstanding/ law abiding/ set a good
example /model citizen?If anything I do believe the Native Americans
should be considered for their own national holiday.But NOT to take over
an existing one.Maybe it can be like Leap Year- every four years or
something like that.Some type of acknowledgment might be
http://considered.As for George Floyd? His Day could be called” How to
flush your pitiful life down the toilet DAY”.

Profile photo for Bill Michalek
Bill Michalek
Wed
Why aren’t we teaching the kids that history is there to learn from. The
history that worked, should be kept as tradition, the history that
didn’t work should not be repeated. Either way, it should not be changed
to fit a modern day addenda. That does no one any good.

Profile photo for Mark Johansen
Mark Johansen
19h ago
No, that would be silly. We already have an “American Indian Day” —
which some say should be renamed “Native American Day”, whatever, so
it’s not like we don’t already have a day to honor these folks. Columbus
is an important historical figure: he brought the hemispheres together.
If you don’t like the w… (more)
Profile photo for Shoba Vakkalagadda
Shoba Vakkalagadda
Wed
Thank you, David. Here in California, the public schools do NOT have
Columbus Day off. Instead the kids have Veterans Day off.

Growing up in New York, we had Columbus Day off. I was surprised
initially when I saw this here in California.

You are absolutely correct here ->

“THAT IS WHAT CONQUERING NATIONS DO. If you don't like it don't like it
DON'T LET YOURSELF BE CONQUERED.”

It’s called survival of the fittest.

If Columbus and the other Europeans did not do what they did back then,
then none of what is going on now would have happened. Yeah, they were
jerks, but so was everyone else.