There's no real need to do housework -- after four years it doesn't get any worse.

interests / rec.gardens / Re: Confused Plants

SubjectAuthor
* Confused PlantsJohn McGaw
+* Re: Confused PlantsDavid E. Ross
|`- Re: Confused PlantsDavid E. Ross
+- Re: Confused Plantssongbird
+- Re: Confused PlantsMichael Trew
`- Re: Confused Plants (please excuse the slight necropost)The Bjornsdottirs - Reinhilde

1
Confused Plants

<9%0FJ.203136$6a3.158046@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=114&group=rec.gardens#114

Newsgroups: rec.gardens
From: Nob...@Nowh.ere (John McGaw)
Subject: Confused Plants
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:29:25 -0500
 by: John McGaw - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:29 UTC

On the 10th of January I did a quick survey of my beds while strolling down
the walk toward the mailbox. I noted that narcissi, crocus, and what I took
to be a stray tulip or three were breaking ground and up to a hand's
breadth high. Hyacinth are nosing through the mulch. One lone yellow crocus
and a few creeping phlox and dianthus were in bloom. Don't they know that
this is the middle of the bloody winter? A week ago there were a few blooms
on an azalea at the end of the drive. This is happening in central East
Tennessee, not the tropics. How are plants supposed to survive this sort of
confusion?

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.

Re: Confused Plants

<ss29sa$233$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=115&group=rec.gardens#115

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Confused Plants
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 15:31:21 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 23:31 UTC

On 1/16/2022 2:29 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> On the 10th of January I did a quick survey of my beds while strolling down
> the walk toward the mailbox. I noted that narcissi, crocus, and what I took
> to be a stray tulip or three were breaking ground and up to a hand's
> breadth high. Hyacinth are nosing through the mulch. One lone yellow crocus
> and a few creeping phlox and dianthus were in bloom. Don't they know that
> this is the middle of the bloody winter? A week ago there were a few blooms
> on an azalea at the end of the drive. This is happening in central East
> Tennessee, not the tropics. How are plants supposed to survive this sort of
> confusion?

Today, I pruned two rose bushes in front. The 'Honor' hybrid tea and
'4th of July' are still blooming, so I left them alone. Two roses in
back are also still blooming: floribunda 'Iceberg' and climbing 'Peace'.
African daisies on my hill started blooming. My Camellia sasanqua
'Chansonett' is covered with pink flowers. I just saw the first grape
hyacinth flower spike. No, they are not confused. This is southern
California. :)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Re: Confused Plants

<ss2g3d$vg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=116&group=rec.gardens#116

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:17:33 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 01:17 UTC

On 1/16/2022 3:31 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 1/16/2022 2:29 PM, John McGaw wrote:
>> On the 10th of January I did a quick survey of my beds while strolling down
>> the walk toward the mailbox. I noted that narcissi, crocus, and what I took
>> to be a stray tulip or three were breaking ground and up to a hand's
>> breadth high. Hyacinth are nosing through the mulch. One lone yellow crocus
>> and a few creeping phlox and dianthus were in bloom. Don't they know that
>> this is the middle of the bloody winter? A week ago there were a few blooms
>> on an azalea at the end of the drive. This is happening in central East
>> Tennessee, not the tropics. How are plants supposed to survive this sort of
>> confusion?
>
> Today, I pruned two rose bushes in front. The 'Honor' hybrid tea and
> '4th of July' are still blooming, so I left them alone. Two roses in
> back are also still blooming: floribunda 'Iceberg' and climbing 'Peace'.
> African daisies on my hill started blooming. My Camellia sasanqua
> 'Chansonett' is covered with pink flowers. I just saw the first grape
> hyacinth flower spike. No, they are not confused. This is southern
> California. :)

Oops! The climbing 'Peace' rose finally finished blooming, and the one
spike of grape hyacinth is quite faded. I just now revised my Web page
that lists what is blooming. See
<http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_bloom.shtml>.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Confused Plants

<g0bfbi-7dk.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=119&group=rec.gardens#119

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 00:21:52 -0500
 by: songbird - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 05:21 UTC

John McGaw wrote:

> On the 10th of January I did a quick survey of my beds while strolling down
> the walk toward the mailbox. I noted that narcissi, crocus, and what I took
> to be a stray tulip or three were breaking ground and up to a hand's
> breadth high. Hyacinth are nosing through the mulch. One lone yellow crocus
> and a few creeping phlox and dianthus were in bloom. Don't they know that
> this is the middle of the bloody winter? A week ago there were a few blooms
> on an azalea at the end of the drive. This is happening in central East
> Tennessee, not the tropics. How are plants supposed to survive this sort of
> confusion?

they'll figure it out eventually.

songbird

Re: Confused Plants

<ss52cl$9v8$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=120&group=rec.gardens#120

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:41:59 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:41 UTC

On 1/16/2022 17:29, John McGaw wrote:
> On the 10th of January I did a quick survey of my beds while strolling
> down the walk toward the mailbox. I noted that narcissi, crocus, and
> what I took to be a stray tulip or three were breaking ground and up to
> a hand's breadth high. Hyacinth are nosing through the mulch. One lone
> yellow crocus and a few creeping phlox and dianthus were in bloom. Don't
> they know that this is the middle of the bloody winter? A week ago there
> were a few blooms on an azalea at the end of the drive. This is
> happening in central East Tennessee, not the tropics. How are plants
> supposed to survive this sort of confusion?

Same issue in Ohio, I have Iriuses and a few others popping up. As of
the past 24 hours, they are now under a foot of snow from a freak snow
storm... I guess we were over-due, and had almost no snow this year. I
don't know if they are going to do well (or live) to spring, but I guess
I'll find out.

Re: Confused Plants (please excuse the slight necropost)

<urm8m5$3kdas$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=256&group=rec.gardens#256

From: zer...@umbrellix.net (The Bjornsdottirs - Reinhilde)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Confused Plants (please excuse the slight necropost)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 03:18:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Bjornsdottirs - - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 03:18 UTC

Hi John,

They don't know where they are. They just know how warm the soil and air
around them is, and once their leaves are above ground, how much water and
light ( = sugar, = building blocks and a fuel if you're a plant) is
available.

Depending on how they deal with unseasonable weather when they're supposed
to be growing, they may fare better or worse. To them, the re-onset of
winter will be like having gotten started late in summer and getting
frozen up early.

Again, they don't know where or when they are. They just know temperature,
light, water, nutrients, and their fungal/bacterial friends and enemies.

As of Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:29:25 -0500, in message
9%0FJ.203136$6a3.158046@fx41.iad, John McGaw <Nobody@Nowh.ere> wrote:

> On the 10th of January I did a quick survey of my beds while strolling
> down the walk toward the mailbox. I noted that narcissi, crocus, and
> what I took to be a stray tulip or three were breaking ground and up to
> a hand's breadth high. Hyacinth are nosing through the mulch. One lone
> yellow crocus and a few creeping phlox and dianthus were in bloom. Don't
> they know that this is the middle of the bloody winter? A week ago there
> were a few blooms on an azalea at the end of the drive. This is
> happening in central East Tennessee, not the tropics. How are plants
> supposed to survive this sort of confusion?

--
Reinhilde Bjornsdottir <zerda@umbrellix.net> - Member Switchposters United
for Justice - <https://spufj.trd.is./>

Some people don't like multiline signatures. I kindly request that they
keep their concerns in their own brains. Usenet isn't what it used to be.
The servers are more powerful, have more storage, and have faster uplinks
in even the worst cases. Long sigs can't hurt you anymore.