From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: What are some of the indicators of overpopulation?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:14:15 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:14 UTC

David P., <news:1034f21e-d63b-4664-815b-fe049d00c6ebn@googlegroups.com>

> What are some of the indicators of overpopulation?
>
> 1.) World population is increasing by 80 million people per year. It took
> 200,000 years to reach our first billion around 1800 - it took just 12 years
> to add our last billion. Experts tell us that a sustainable population level
> would be at most 3 billion, or in the range 0.5-5 billion.
> 2.) There are more human babies born each day - about 250,000 - than there
> are individuals left in all the great ape species.
> 3.) Humans and their farm animals now make up 96% of all mammalian biomass
> on Earth - other mammals make up only 4%.
> 4.) Plastic is expected to outweigh all fish in the ocean by 2050 if we do
> not change our ways.
> 5.) As global population increases, the cost of food for everyone increases
> and we are increasingly at risk from pandemics, stress related illness and
> climate disruption.

Well, you know what you have to have done.

It will be good for environment and help solve the food shortage problem.

Re: What are some of the indicators of overpopulation?

<f0a073d0-50a6-475b-9bd0-ab6469907134n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11497&group=soc.culture.china#11497

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 03:41:01 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 11:41 UTC

On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 8:18:22 PM UTC, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> David P., <news:1034f21e-d63b-4664...@googlegroups.com>
> > What are some of the indicators of overpopulation?
> >
> > 1.) World population is increasing by 80 million people per year. It took
> > 200,000 years to reach our first billion around 1800 - it took just 12 years
> > to add our last billion. Experts tell us that a sustainable population level
> > would be at most 3 billion, or in the range 0.5-5 billion.
> > 2.) There are more human babies born each day - about 250,000 - than there
> > are individuals left in all the great ape species.
> > 3.) Humans and their farm animals now make up 96% of all mammalian biomass
> > on Earth - other mammals make up only 4%.
> > 4.) Plastic is expected to outweigh all fish in the ocean by 2050 if we do
> > not change our ways.
> > 5.) As global population increases, the cost of food for everyone increases
> > and we are increasingly at risk from pandemics, stress related illness and
> > climate disruption.

> Well, you know what you have to have done.
>
> It will be good for environment and help solve the food shortage problem.

Seeking longevity may be the road to a less populous world.
Currently, diet restriction is an one well studied way to increase life span.
Probably a lot of genes, human and nonhuman, are under epigenetic control.
With effective diet restriction, the choice is between preserving the body or
immediate capability to reproduce. Currently, research data support the hypothesis
that the organism chooses to preserve the body at reduced reproductive capability.

Re: What are some of the indicators of overpopulation?

<5aaa2abf-262d-4421-a911-4a69ec0d40e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11500&group=soc.culture.china#11500

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 16:30:07 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 00:30 UTC

On Wednesday, November 23, 2022 at 5:48:07 PM UTC, David P. wrote:
> ltlee1 wrote:
> > Oleg Smirnov wrote:

> > > Well, you know what you have to have done.
> > >
> > > It will be good for environment and help solve the food shortage problem.
> > Seeking longevity may be the road to a less populous world.
> > Currently, diet restriction is an one well studied way to increase life span.
> > Probably a lot of genes, human and nonhuman, are under epigenetic control.
> > With effective diet restriction, the choice is between preserving the body or
> > immediate capability to reproduce. Currently, research data support the hypothesis
> > that the organism chooses to preserve the body at reduced reproductive capability.
> ----------------
> God and Nature have a plan: each species has natural enemies that
> keep its numbers in check! But humans, trying to play God, have NO plan!
> --
> --
???
If one believe in God, everything is God's willing. God wisdom is by definition
beyond human understanding.

If one is an agnostic, we are so far evolutionary successful because we the
humans closely observe and accept nature's dictate. We cannot alter law of
nature but find a way to let nature works to improve our lives.

"Trying to play God" in reality does not have much meaning as long as we
don't really KNOW God.