Would you care to drift aimlessly in my direction?

interests / soc.history.war.misc / Re: from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWII

SubjectAuthor
* from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWIIa425couple
`* Re: from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWIIRamsman
 `- Re: from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWIIa425couple

1
from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWII

<0B41J.78659$jl2.35396@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1149&group=soc.history.war.misc#1149

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,alt.war.world-war-two
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWII
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 10:51:56 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:51 UTC

A Mighty Girl
SSsfetSeoptnembremr ir13g oateusnh 1d2:27 PM ·

"The Nazis called them 'Night Witches' because the whooshing noise their
plywood and canvas airplanes made reminded the Germans of the sound of a
witch’s broomstick. The Russian women who piloted those planes, onetime
crop dusters, took it as a compliment. In 30,000 missions over four
years, they dumped 23,000 tons of bombs on the German invaders,
ultimately helping to chase them back to Berlin. Any German pilot who
downed a 'witch' was awarded an Iron Cross. These young heroines, all
volunteers and most in their teens and early 20s, became legends of
World War II but are now largely forgotten. Flying only in the dark,
they had no parachutes, guns, radios or radar, only maps and compasses.
If hit by tracer bullets, their planes would burn like sheets of paper."
So begins a NY Times tribute to one of the most famous "Night Witches,"
Nadezhda Popova, pictured here. Popova, who flew 852 missions during the
war, passed away in 2013 at the age of 91.
For a gripping historical fiction novel for adult readers that explores
the history of the Night Witches, we highly recommend "The Huntress" at
https://www.amightygirl.com/the-huntress
For a fascinating YA historical fiction novel based on the Night
Witches, for ages 13 and up, we recommend "Among the Red Stars" at
https://www.amightygirl.com/among-the-red-stars
For adult readers who would like to learn more about the role of Russian
women combat pilots during WWII, there are several excellent books
including "The Unwomanly Face of War" (https://amzn.to/2KcO6BJ), "Night
Witches: The Amazing Story Of Russia's Women Pilots in World War II"
(http://amzn.to/2e6z2BQ), and "Wings, Women, and War: Soviet Airwomen in
World War II Combat" (http://amzn.to/1fyPOs8)
For an inspiring book about more courageous women who stood up to the
Nazi regime, we highly recommend "Women Heroes of World War II: 32
Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue" for teens and
adults like, ages 13 and up, at
https://www.amightygirl.com/women-heroes-of-world-war-ii
For adults who love to read about heroic women of WWII, you can find
more of the best fiction and non-fiction books in our blog post,
"Telling Her Story: 35 Books for Adult Readers About Women Heroes of
WWII," at https://www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=24501
For books for children and teens about girls and women living through
the WWII period, visit our "WWII & Holocaust" section at
http://amgrl.co/1l9UWIe
And for books for tweens and teens about the experience of girls living
under authoritarian regimes, visit our blog post "The Fragility of
Freedom: Mighty Girl Books About Life Under Authoritarianism" at
https://www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=32426

Here is more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_Po-2
One was featured in Turtledove's books.

Re: from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWII

<si4j6b$ebe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1151&group=soc.history.war.misc#1151

From: nos...@nowhere.com (Ramsman)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,alt.war.world-war-two
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:39:52 +0100
 by: Ramsman - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:39 UTC

On 17/09/2021 18:51, a425couple wrote:

> [...]
> Nazi regime, we highly recommend "Women Heroes of World War II: 32
> Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue" for teens and
> adults like, ages 13 and up, at
> https://www.amightygirl.com/women-heroes-of-world-war-ii
> For adults who love to read about heroic women of WWII, you can find
> more of the best fiction and non-fiction books in our blog post,
> "Telling Her Story: 35 Books for Adult Readers About Women Heroes of
> WWII," at https://www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=24501
> For books for children and teens about girls and women living through
> the WWII period, visit our "WWII & Holocaust" section at
> http://amgrl.co/1l9UWIe
> And for books for tweens and teens about the experience of girls living
> under authoritarian regimes, visit our blog post "The Fragility of
> Freedom: Mighty Girl Books About Life Under Authoritarianism" at

There is a Po-2 at the Shuttleworth Collection here in Bedfordshire. It
is fully airworthy and is a regular performer at air shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqyfydW6ECs
https://www.shuttleworth.org/explore/the-collection.

--
Peter

Re: from Facebook - 'Night Witches' - Polikarpov Po-2 - WWII

<UPn1J.39328$2Q_3.22684@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1152&group=soc.history.war.misc#1152

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,alt.war.world-war-two
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 08:44:53 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:44 UTC

On 9/18/2021 4:39 AM, Ramsman wrote:
> On 17/09/2021 18:51, a425couple wrote:
>>
>> A Mighty Girl
>> SSsfetSeoptnembremr ir13g oateusnh 1d2:27 PM  ·
>>
>> "The Nazis called them 'Night Witches' because the whooshing noise
>> their plywood and canvas airplanes made reminded the Germans of the
>> sound of a witch’s broomstick. The Russian women who piloted those
-----snip
>> And for books for tweens and teens about the experience of girls
>> living under authoritarian regimes, visit our blog post "The Fragility
>> of Freedom: Mighty Girl Books About Life Under Authoritarianism" at
>> https://www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=32426
>>
>> Here is more
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches
>>    and
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_Po-2
>>    One was featured in Turtledove's books.
>
> There is a Po-2 at the Shuttleworth Collection here in Bedfordshire. It
> is fully airworthy and is a regular performer at air shows.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqyfydW6ECs
> https://www.shuttleworth.org/explore/the-collection.

Yes. Described here:

Surviving aircraft

United Kingdom
0094 – Po-2 airworthy with the Shuttleworth Collection in Old
Warden, Bedfordshire.[25][26] Its first post-restoration flight
occurred on January 10, 2011.[27]

I was surprised at the size, 37 foot wingspan.