With listening comes wisdom, with speaking repentance.

interests / soc.history.war.misc / Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan

SubjectAuthor
* Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistana425couple
`* Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on AfghanistanOleg Smirnov
 +- Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on AfghanistanBlueshirt
 +* Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on AfghanistanStephen Harding
 |`- Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on AfghanistanGeorge Black
 `- Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on AfghanistanByker

1
Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan

<kpv%I.75463$jl2.61955@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1140&group=soc.history.war.misc#1140

From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,seattle.politics,or.politics
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:44:34 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 22:44 UTC

Tucker Carlson is irritating here,
but correct,, they lied about making progress
in Afghanistan for the last 20 years.
Brags about progress for 20 years, THEY HAD NOTHING!
"Adults back in charge" - they are all lairs!

from
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-our-military-has-been-lying-to-us-for-20-years

Tucker Carlson: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years
Fox News host claims military establishment projected illusion of
progress, even when it was clear they were failing
Tucker Carlson By Tucker Carlson | Fox News

Tucker: Pentagon repeatedly said US was making 'progress' despite
Afghanistan crisis

Listen to this article
0:00 / 10:19
1X
SpeechKit

In July of 2017, every member of the joint chiefs of staff met with
newly-elected President Donald Trump for the first time. It didn't go
well. "You're all losers," the president told them, according to Foreign
Policy magazine account. "You don't know how to win anymore."

It was a harsh assessment, obviously though arguably true, the joint
chiefs of staff are the nation's highest-ranking military officers.
Their job is to follow the order of elected officials and protect the
country, no matter how much their feelings may be hurt. But in this
case, that's not what happened because the rules are different now.
According to U.S. Army Major General Paul Eaten, the president's insults
that day, and the similar comments he made in public, were a bitter
humiliation for the nation's military leaders. They made it their
mission to undermine civilian control of the Pentagon ever after. "I was
really shocked by how many of my former colleagues voted for the former
president and openly supported him," Eaten said. "But when [Trump]
turned on the military, well, the military turned on him."

TALIBAN CO-FOUNDER ‘BARADAR THE BUTCHER’ TO REPORTEDLY LEAD NEW AFGHAN
GOVERNMENT

Keep in mind, that is not how democracy is supposed to work—military
leaders report to the people you elect. Again that’s not what happened.
Stories began leaking about the president, President Trump, ignoring
classified intelligence about Russian bounties in Afghanistan. Where do
you think those stories came from? They came from the Pentagon—it was
payback. Then the military refused to pull troops out of Syria and
Afghanistan, even though they were ordered to do so by the elected
president of the United States—again no civilian control of the
military. When Joe Biden finally became president, on inauguration day,
the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Mark Milley, was so excited
he couldn’t control himself. "No one has a bigger smile today than I
do," Milley told Michelle Obama—sucking up like a child. "You can’t see
it under my mask, but I do." The media people who have supported Biden
from the very beginning -- including a former C.I.A. Director, there are
many of those on TV these days -- also celebrated. They told us the
adults were back in charge, they said. The orange man is gone—everything
is going to be better now:

DANA BASH: Anybody who has any connection to reality about what is going
on around them should have watched that and said, ‘The adults are back
in the room" CORNELL BELCHER: It seems as though we have an adult in the
White House who is simply doing the work FARED ZAKARIA: Really the theme
I would say is that the adults are back JEMELE HILL: Still it is a
relief to have adults in charge JOHN BRENNAN: Now we have adults in the
White House DON LEMON: Okay, the adults are back in the room NICOLLE
WALLACE: There is a sense, I think the world over, that the adults have
returned JONATHAN CAPEHART: Now we have an adult in the White House and
it’s glorious.

Dan Hollaway shreds idea that the Taliban and al Qaeda are not linked Video

Those clips are amazing to watch now because they consist of the most
childish people in the country celebrating adulthood. But they look
especially absurd in light of what we’ve just seen in Afghanistan. These
days, Joe Biden's friends in the Pentagon and the "foreign affairs desk"
at NBC News no longer think he’s an adult. He abandoned American
citizens and got thirteen Americans killed, and suddenly they seem a
little ashamed. Plus, he’s turned his back on the neocon project and
that’s the greatest offense of all.

But the bigger question is why our media and the military were talking
like this in the first place. "The adults are back in charge?" What does
that mean, exactly? If you follow what our generals have been telling us
for the past twenty years about Afghanistan, you quickly realize exactly
what it means. "Adults," means people are willing who pretend that
everything is going fine when in fact it is not going fine.

BLINKEN BLAMES TRUMP ADMIN SIV BACKLOG FOR FAILURE TO GET AFGHAN ALLIES
OUT OF COUNTRY

Consider that no matter how badly our mission in Afghanistan was
deteriorating—we were never clear on what that mission was—but clearly,
our strategy of pacifying the nation was falling apart. No matter how
bad it got in Afghanistan, the Pentagon and its spokesmen repeatedly
told us they were making incredible progress. And "progress" is the word
they used again and again and again—almost as if they coordinated it. In
2005, the head of U.S. Central Command, General John Abizaid, told
reporters quote, "over the three years that we’ve been operating there,
[Afghanistan] has shown interesting progress." In 2007, the website
"Task and Purpose" reported that another senior General, Dan McNeil, had
a similar message. Quote: "I’d like to point out that there is
significant progress in the forward move of the Afghan National Army."

In 2008, the commander of the 101st Airborne -- another "adult" --
concurred that progress was ongoing. Quote: "We’re making some steady
progress." Then, in 2010, even as coalition casualties increased, the
progress somehow continued unabated—it was progress no matter what. An
Army Lieutenant General called David Rodriguez told reporters at a news
conference in Kabul, quote, "We are steadily making deliberate progress."

Erik Prince: 'Good leadership can turn a country around'Video

That same year, Stanley McChrystal, then the commander of U.S. forces in
Afghanistan, also wanted us to know about all the progress that was
being made. "I think we have made significant progress in setting the
conditions in 2009 and beginning some progress, and that we’ll make real
progress in 2010." Which we remind you was 11 years ago. Then Stanley
McChrystal was fired for criticizing the Obama administration -- and in
particular, the total incompetence of the current president Joe Biden --
General David Petraeus took over. And sure enough, Petreaus quickly
declared that quote, "progress has been achieved in some critical areas,
and we are poised to realize more." Progress.

A year later, in 2011, Petraeus doubled down, telling lawmakers quote,
"The past eight months have seen important but hard-fought progress."
Speaking that summer to troops in Kandahar, the defense secretary,
Robert Gates, echoed that theme:

ROBERT GATES, June 2011: And what you’ve accomplished is extraordinary
because over the course of the year you have essentially ejected the
Taliban from their home territory. And if we can hold this territory
and expand the bubble, then I think by the end of the year, we can turn
the corner of this conflict.

AFGHANISTAN VIRTUALLY MISSING FROM NEW YORK TIMES FRONT PAGE AMID
BIDEN'S FOREIGN POLICY CRISIS

placeholder
Gates didn't actually use the word "progress"—he had more original
language than that—but the message was the same. And just to make sure
it was clear, senior military leaders kept using the word. A few years
later, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, General Joseph
Dunford, confirmed that the progress was indeed continuing. Quote: "At
this point, we have made significant progress," Dunford said in 2013.
Three years after that, in 2016, the new commander in Afghanistan, John
W. Nicholson, was saying the same thing. "We are seeing some progress."
As recently as last year, a spokesperson for Mark Milley said he was
hard at work, making sure to "accelerate progress" in Afghanistan.

So if you’re wondering why Americans are so confused that Kabul fell in
an afternoon and the Taliban controlled the country we occupied for 20
years, maybe it’s because they thought we were making progress.

Greenwald: US government lied for two decades about AfghanistanVideo

So considering that whole chronology -- consider the news Reuters broke
this week about Joe Biden's recent conversation with the guy we
installed as the "president" of Afghanistan, some college professor
called Ashraf Ghani. Joe Biden told Ghani that, even as the Taliban was
taking over the country this summer, the most important thing was
keeping up the appearance of, you guessed it, progress. "I need not tell
you the perception around the world and in parts of Afghanistan, I
believe, is that things are not going well in terms of the fight against
the Taliban," Biden said. "And there is a need, whether it is true or
not, there is a need to project a different picture."

Click here to read the complete article
Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan

<si1nqn$7iv$1@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1145&group=soc.history.war.misc#1145

From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,seattle.politics,or.politics,sci.military.naval
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:38:24 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:38 UTC

a425couple, <news:kpv%I.75463$jl2.61955@fx34.iad>

> Tucker Carlson is irritating here,
> but correct,, they lied about making progress
> in Afghanistan for the last 20 years.
> Brags about progress for 20 years, THEY HAD NOTHING!
> "Adults back in charge" - they are all lairs!
>
> from
> https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-our-military-has-been-lying-to-us-for-20-years
>
> Tucker Carlson: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years

That's not the only topic they've been lying to you for many years.
Get ready to get more bitter truths and bad news in the future.
Things aren't good, and it'll be getting only worse.

Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan

<si1qn7$qbc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1146&group=soc.history.war.misc#1146

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: soc.history.war.misc
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:29:57 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 10:29 UTC

On 17/09/2021 10:38, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>> Tucker Carlson: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years
>
> That's not the only topic they've been lying to you for many years.

I'm always amazed when some people seem to be surprised that they've
been lied to... it has *always* been that way!!!

Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan

<si26ja$hhh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1147&group=soc.history.war.misc#1147

From: smhard...@verizon.net (Stephen Harding)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,seattle.politics,or.politics,sci.military.naval
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:52:41 -0400
 by: Stephen Harding - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:52 UTC

No bitter truths and bad news from the Soviet ^H^H^H^H^H^H Russian Press.

SMH

On 9/17/21 5:38 AM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> a425couple, <news:kpv%I.75463$jl2.61955@fx34.iad>
>
>> Tucker Carlson is irritating here,
>> but correct,, they lied about making progress
>> in Afghanistan for the last 20 years.
>> Brags about progress for 20 years, THEY HAD NOTHING!
>> "Adults back in charge" - they are all lairs!
>>
>> from
>> https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-our-military-has-been-lying-to-us-for-20-years
>>

>> Tucker Carlson: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years
>
> That's not the only topic they've been lying to you for many years.
> Get ready to get more bitter truths and bad news in the future.
> Things aren't good, and it'll be getting only worse.

Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan

<N7WdnVHEssNUbdn8nZ2dnUU7-dednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1150&group=soc.history.war.misc#1150

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,seattle.politics,or.politics,sci.military.naval
From: gbl...@hnpl.net (George Black)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 07:47:21 +1200
 by: George Black - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:47 UTC

On 18/09/21 1:52 am, Stephen Harding wrote:
> No bitter truths and bad news from the Soviet ^H^H^H^H^H^H Russian Press.
>

> SMH
Russians depend upon the purported troubles of others to hide their own

Re: Our military has been lying to us for 20 years on Afghanistan

<Hv2dnQ72GLhPftX8nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1155&group=soc.history.war.misc#1155

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)