A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. -- Cervantes

interests / soc.culture.china / A ‘rapidly growing death spiral.’ How our $31.3 trillion national debt is getting even more expensive.

SubjectAuthor
* A ‘rapidly growing death spiral.’ How our $31.3ltlee1
`- Re: A ‘rapidly growing death spiral.’ How our $3stoney

1
A ‘rapidly growing death spiral.’ How our $31.3 trillion national debt is getting even more expensive.

<3059e2f5-7410-4fc5-ad24-1382be32ea1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11636&group=soc.culture.china#11636

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:30:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: A_‘rapidly_growing_death_spiral.’_How_our_$31.3_
trillion_national_debt_is_getting_even_more_expensive.
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:30 UTC

"WASHINGTON — For decades, worries about the exploding national debt—now a staggering $31.3 trillion — were tempered by low interest rates that made it relatively cheap to keep borrowing.

But with interest rates rising rapidly, a long-feared debt crisis could be arriving soon.

Like a consumer grappling with a massive credit card balance, the federal government is paying more just for the interest on the national debt. Government projections show those interest costs tripling from $399 billion this year to $1.19 trillion in 2032. Borrowing most likely will have to increase just to pay for the higher interest expenses.

The rising interest payments could siphon money from government programs that invest in expanding the economy, such as scientific research and rebuilding infrastructure. That in turn could slow economic growth, which would lead to more deficit spending.

“It’s the termites under the front porch,” G. William Hoagland, the senior vice president at the centrist Bipartisan Policy Center think tank, said of the growing national debt. “They’re working away at it, you don’t see them, but one day you step out on that porch and you go through it.”"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-rapidly-growing-death-spiral-how-our-313-trillion-national-debt-is-getting-even-more-expensive/ar-AA15DxdO

Re: A ‘rapidly growing death spiral.’ How our $31.3 trillion national debt is getting even more expensive.

<d23493c6-077b-4ed8-9815-059c1dd81ed5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11683&group=soc.culture.china#11683

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 07:51:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_A_‘rapidly_growing_death_spiral.’_How_our_$3
1.3_trillion_national_debt_is_getting_even_more_expensive.
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 15:51 UTC

On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 1:30:21 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> "WASHINGTON — For decades, worries about the exploding national debt—now a staggering $31.3 trillion — were tempered by low interest rates that made it relatively cheap to keep borrowing.
>
> But with interest rates rising rapidly, a long-feared debt crisis could be arriving soon.
>
> Like a consumer grappling with a massive credit card balance, the federal government is paying more just for the interest on the national debt. Government projections show those interest costs tripling from $399 billion this year to $1.19 trillion in 2032. Borrowing most likely will have to increase just to pay for the higher interest expenses.
>
> The rising interest payments could siphon money from government programs that invest in expanding the economy, such as scientific research and rebuilding infrastructure. That in turn could slow economic growth, which would lead to more deficit spending.
>
> “It’s the termites under the front porch,” G. William Hoagland, the senior vice president at the centrist Bipartisan Policy Center think tank, said of the growing national debt. “They’re working away at it, you don’t see them, but one day you step out on that porch and you go through it.”"
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-rapidly-growing-death-spiral-how-our-313-trillion-national-debt-is-getting-even-more-expensive/ar-AA15DxdO

Total US debt has reached 31 trillion dollars. Nowadays, US yearly budget has crossed over 1 trillion dollar. This means the value of US dollar is getting weaker and weaker.