Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (1p166)
Subject: FaceBook ? MSM Promoted Anger Since Forever
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 22:15:38 -0400
 by: 1p166 - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 02:15 UTC

FaceBook is now accused of promoting content that
will make people angry and hostile in order to
increase revenues.

Hey - our MSM has been doing that since the 1800s.
The old saying "If it bleeds it leads" is NOT an
exaggeration. They WANT angry readers/listeners/
viewers who will plonk down another dime, another
hour. The 'left' does it, the 'right' does it.

Re: FaceBook ? MSM Promoted Anger Since Forever

<W6WdncLnwakgpuX8nZ2dnUU7-IfNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11750&group=alt.politics#11750

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Subject: Re: FaceBook ? MSM Promoted Anger Since Forever
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:32:45 -0500
 by: Byker - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 17:32 UTC

"1p166" wrote in message

> FaceBook is now accused of promoting content that will make people angry
> and hostile in order to increase revenues.
>
> Hey - our MSM has been doing that since the 1800s.

It's been doing that since the invention of the printing press. During the
Reformation there were lots of obscene pamphlets in circulation regarding
the Pope, in Latin for the clergy, German for the locals, and illustrations
for the illiterate ("I fart in your general direction."):
https://tinyurl.com/ynhfcs9y

Y'all might enjoy this contemporary cartoon of Louis Philippe I, the last of
the French kings: https://tinyurl.com/y76xr9hu

Here's the context: There was a huge amount of tension between the classes
in France at the time (1831). "Gargantua" shows King Louis Philippe as a
giant who greedily eats up bags of taxes from peasants. His appetite seems
endless. But that's not a throne he's sitting on -- it's a toilet. He shits
out lucrative contracts that are snatched up by corrupt government
officials. The king was usually pretty good about going along with jokes,
but this time the artist was thrown in jail for five months and the
newspaper shut down.

> The old saying "If it bleeds it leads" is NOT an exaggeration.

Tell me about it. I used to be in that business long ago and I saw it for
what it is. Here's a film you might want to check out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Man

It's available on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Mf5f2uKFc

In the era of "fake news" this movie is more relevant today than it was 65
years ago: "I'm sick of people talking about this industry as an art form.
It isn't. It's a business. It's no less ethical and it's just as
hard-boiled as any other business. We're selling time to sell personalities
that, in turn, sell products. Simple as that."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Mf5f2uKFc&t=5160s