But you shall not escape my iambics. -- Gaius Valerius Catullus

interests / soc.history.war.misc / How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Draft

SubjectAuthor
* How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Drafta425couple
`* Re: How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War DraftSam
 `- Re: How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Drafta425couple

1
How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Draft

<ViwkJ.72841$g35.28501@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1185&group=soc.history.war.misc#1185

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,or.politics,seattle.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Draft
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:56:22 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:56 UTC

How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Draft

Preston Ingalls
World Traveler: 31 countries & Vietnam combat vet '69-'70 Nov 10

Did Joe Biden dodge the Vietnam War draft?
“Biden received five student draft deferments during this period, with
the first coming in late 1963 and the last in early 1968, at the peak of
the Vietnam War.[16] In April 1968, he was reclassified by the Selective
Service System as not available for service due to having had asthma as
a teenager.[16]”

I have read on various Internet sources that the reason Biden did not
release his full medical records during the campaign was they would
reveal the extent to which he went to avoid military induction once he
received his draft notice. Although in his best-selling memoir,
“Promises to Keep,” he recounted his active childhood, working as a
lifeguard and excelling at high school football, he never mentions
asthma. It is alleged that what actually happened was by the time Biden
finally got his draft notice in ‘68, he was already a lawyer so knew how
to “manipulate the system.” His asthma was not detected during his draft
physical but rather Biden appealed his induction by submitting
"documentation" from a “private physician” notorious for “discovering”
disqualifying features for well-connected patients after they were
notified for induction.

I am not a supporter of either Trump or Biden, both draft resistors.

I served during that time, ‘67-'72 with tours in Germany, Vietnam and
two years at Ft Jackson.

Re: How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Draft

<gjc6pgp6vmc9s69va3l5ij2nm64upm9eei@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1186&group=soc.history.war.misc#1186

From: sam...@samt.invalid (Sam)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,or.politics,seattle.politics
Subject: Re: How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Draft
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:25:51 -0800
 by: Sam - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 04:25 UTC

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:56:22 -0800, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Did Joe Biden dodge the Vietnam War draft?

Only morons went to fight in Vietnam. They called draftees McNamara's
morons on Capital Hill.

Forest Gump was a documentary.

--
/\_/\
((@v@))

Re: How Joe Biden avoided the Vietnam War Draft

<HiclJ.45931$SW5.31181@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1187&group=soc.history.war.misc#1187

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc,or.politics,seattle.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 10:59:53 -0800
 by: a425couple - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 18:59 UTC

On 11/15/2021 8:25 PM, Sam wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:56:22 -0800, a425couple
> <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did Joe Biden dodge the Vietnam War draft?
>
> Only morons went to fight in Vietnam. They called draftees McNamara's
> morons on Capital Hill.
>
> Forest Gump was a documentary.

Well, I volunteered to serve in the USMC.
It was an exciting and challenging time
of growth.
Since then, I've done very well for myself.