From: sic...@liberalism.nuts (Sick liberalism)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.guns,alt.education,alt.politics.homosexuality,alt.society.mental-health,balt.general
Subject: Pro-BLM LGBTQIA+ teacher forced out of South Carolina school for claiming it was 'white supremacy' to call theft a crime is now accused of concealing student's gender issues from parents at new Maryland school
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 00:28:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Sick liberalism - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 00:28 UTC

A pro-BLM teacher forced out of her job at a South Carolina school over a
video that stated black Americans built this country and thus have the
right to 'burn the motherf***er to the ground' has a new job teaching
middle-schoolers in Maryland.

Once an eighth-grade history teacher at the school in small-town Hilton
Head, non binary instructor Lane Cogdill was moved schools two summers ago
over the since deleted TikTok video, which at the time sparked debates and
even death threats for Cogdill.

Amid the backlash, the teacher - also an avid TikToker with a pronounced
social media following - was transferred to a nearby adult education
center in Beaufort amid calls for Codgill's firing.

The controversy would soon sputter out, while Cogdill would continue
posting progressive, often polarizing content after being reprimanded by
the district's superintendent and school principal.

Now, it appears Codgill - who uses 'ze/zir,' 'they/them' and 'he/him'
pronouns - is back to teaching kids and posting problematic snippets,
including some that insist that concealing student's gender changes are
part of her school's policy.

Staffers at Silver Spring International Middle School - whose website
lists Codgill as a staffer - this week reportedly said they are 'looking
into' their new employee's checkered past.

'Hey y'all, I have some thoughts about what's going on in the world as a
history teacher who cares about racial justice,' Cogdill says in the
since-deleted clip that got her moved from Hilton Head Island Middle
School back in June of 2020, when protests broke out across the US over
the police brutality death of George Floyd.

The teacher continues: 'I keep hearing people say, I understand
protesting, but I don't understand rioting and looting, and let me just
remind y'all that this country was literally built by black people.

'Black people's bodies were literally the currency that our white founding
fathers used to fund the revolution,' Cogdill says, before declaring: 'So
as far as I'm concerned, as a white person and as a history teacher, if
your ancestors built this country, you have the right to burn the
motherf***er to the ground.'

Roughly three weeks later, a parent posted a link to the video to
Facebook, while also sending a link to Cogdill's principal at time, Pat
Freda, as well as Beaufort County School District's human resources
director.

Almost instantly, parents angered over the contents of Cogdill's demanded
staffers address the incident, with the teacher - who at the time had been
employed by the public school for two years - reporting they were
receiving death threats.

The district would reprimand Cogdill on July 18 - more than a month after
the video's posting - citing the instructor's use of profanity and
encouragement of violence, both of which came in stark violation of
Beaufort County School District police

Aside from a note in Cogdill's personnel file, the reprimand consisted of
Cogdill, a month later, being reassigned to the Beaufort County School
District Adult Education.

The maneuver saw the school staffer kept on as a district employee - a
decision officials reportedly arrived at after receiving a rebuttal letter
from Cogdill, who identifies as nonbinary and uses the term of address Mx.
instead of Mr. or Ms.

A school district spokesperson confirmed the transfer at the time, but
declined to provide additional details due to it being 'a personnel
matter.'

Many in the predominantly conservative neighborhood were not satisfied
with the district's court of action, displaying a desire for a harsher
punishment considering the offense and the teacher's other content - which
includes advice to transitioning kids to how to conceal their gender from
parents, and rants on systemic racism.

Wile being subject to this backlash, a defiant Cogdill called on the
district to reconsider the reassignment, saying several from the
community, including some parents of their former students, wrote emails
of support in keeping Cogdill on at the middle school.

At the time, Cogdill told The Island Packet: 'I knew reassignment was a
possibility, but it still comes as a punch in the gut when I�ve committed
myself to this school for the last two years teaching, coaching softball,
and doing other extracurricular activities.

'I�m very much part of the school community,' she said.

The district, however, insisted that was continuing to gets calls and
emails from parents unhappy over the TikTok video incident, so the
reassignment stayed.

Cogdill, meanwhile, continued to insist that because they did not share
their TikTok account with any students, she should not have been subject
to any punishment.

Cogdill also cited a stipulation given by district officials that the
situation and ensuing controversy 'impaired' their behavior to do their
job properly.

'It said the district reserved the right to take further action if it
became clear when school came back in the fall that the situation had
impaired my ability to teach effectively,' Codgill said.

They added: 'I disagree with the district reprimanding me for that.
However, I was willing to just accept it and move on. I think that there�s
an issue there of teachers having a right to free speech.'

Still, calls for Codgill's firing continued, with the social media
influencer reportedly receiving death threats on posts to social media
that defended their stance against the district.

One such post read: 'Maybe the burning and destruction she wholeheartedly
embraces could start at her school while she�s working and maybe burn her
car up. I�m sure she would be OK with that.'

The comment spurred Cogdill to file a report with the Beaufort County
Sheriff�s Office, asking police investigate the threat.

'There�s a difference to me between rude comments and direct threats,'
they told local reporters at the time.

At the time, Cogdill retained a lawyer, but said they did not plan to
pursut a suit against the school district or any other party. 'People have
asked me if I regret what I said, and I don�t,' Cogdill said of the
controversy they faced over the video.

'Is that a statement I would ever say in the classroom? Absolutely not.
But I didn�t make the statement in my classroom.'

Now, more than two and a half years later, it appears that Cogdill has
been employed elsewhere, now working as history teacher at Silver Spring
International Middle School, a predominantly progressive nabe just outside
of the Washington DC.

The school's presiding district, Montgomery County Public Schools, lists
Cogdill as an employee, though it is not clear when their employment
began. DailyMail.com reached out to the district on Sunday for comment as
to the status of their employment.

The district on Sunday reportedly told Fox News they were 'looking into'
Cogdill's history, but that they also could not 'comment further because
it is a personnel matter.'

DailyMail.com also asked whether district officials to address Cogdill's
continued assertions that the district has a policy on hiding students'
transitions transitions, something the teacher has touted in several
recent videos.

The district did not immediately issue a response to those inquiries.

Cogdill described the discretion they give their students in a recent
clip: 'I always ask a trans or questioning student as soon as I find out
what is the name you prefer? What pronouns do you prefer? Who else knows?

'And how would you like me to refer to you when I speak to your family, to
the administrators, to other teachers, in front of other students? Some
students ask me not to disclose their identity, and that's a promise I
always honor.'

The teacher added, 'I can't imagine breaking a single trans or non-binary
student's trust by sharing details about their gender identity with
anyone� especially their parents, their counselors and their
administrators.'

Of their pronouns and respective gender identity, Cogdill says: "The
pronouns they mostly affirm me are ze/zir or they/them or he/him. My title
is Mx. Cogdill � Mx. � rather than Ms. or Mr. And I ask my students� to
use Mx. instead of ma'am or sir.

'I changed my name to Lane because it's gender-neutral. I also go by Theo,
which is affirming because my masculinity is not always recognized by
other people.'

The add in a separate clip: 'Some people identify as genderfluid, meaning
their gender� fluidly changes between masculine and feminine and agender
or other identities. Agender means the person doesn't identify as or with
gender at all, just like off the gender planet entirely.

'There's also genderqueer, which is kind of the one that best fits me,
which means I'm just not a man and just not a woman. But my gender is�
definitely queer.'

Online, Cogdill has more than 10,000 followers, and has amassed more than
100,00 likes over three years of posting. They said they do not accept
follow requests from any students.

Click here to read the complete article