Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 17:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Are there any stats on manner of losing by bots vs humans?
From: mur...@compuplus.net (MK)
 by: MK - Wed, 17 May 2023 00:19 UTC

If not, here is what I propose:

- Take all the money and match results between
humans and bots

- Categorize them into subsets by match length

- Count how many times bot or human won/lost

- Categorize those into subset by manner of losing
such as dropped, resigned, played to the end, etc.

After this, we can keep counting how many times
bot/human dropped early/late in the game/match,
at what scores, etc. etc. but stopping at this stage
would be good enough in answering my question
about "how much does intimidation factor comes
into play in gamblegammon?".

I have suspicion that most humans surrender to
bots too often, too soon out of their insecurities.

I wouldn't expect humans in general to do as well
as "Murat mutant" has done against bots in Axel's
experiment but I think they could do much better
if they had the courage to damn the torpedos, (of
course derived from the confidance backed up by
being actually a strong enough player).

Imagine that in any other competition like tennis,
boxing, wrestling, etc... your opponent is also the
judge/referee. Wouldn't that effect the results..??

MK