One Bell System - it works.

interests / rec.games.chess.misc / Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

SubjectAuthor
* Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) objectJulian
`* Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) objectElvenverb
 +* Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) objectEli Kesef
 |`* Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) objectElvenverb
 | `* Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) objectElvenverb
 |  `- Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) objectEli Kesef
 `- Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) objectEli Kesef

1
Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

<ebf58017-5b6a-479c-b4c0-8705812ea9b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1209&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1209

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:42:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object
From: j63840...@gmail.com (Julian)
 by: Julian - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:42 UTC

I was playing maurice ashley teaches chess and he said the knights are ninjas.

My bishops are the real ninjas. They can travel any distance: surprise! When I get them behind enemy lines 9 out of 10 times the enemy hangs a piece in their backward path.

It's mainly because I've become familiar with defence vs. knights; their moves are no longer esoteric. They are the slowest piece on the board other than the king and now I know where to put my pieces to evade them. I suggest you learn these: next to the knight in a cardinal direction, diagonal two from the knight, at a 2X3 to the knight and three squares in a cardinal direction from the knight. There are more at greater distances, yet these are all the positions closest to the knight. Diagonally adjacent to the knight can be safe if you vet the two squares they have to bring them into attack position. Same with two squares in a cardinal direction. I made myself learn these because I was failing at last minute defense of the king and the enemy was a master with his knights. He was one of those guys who believes the knight is worth more points than the bishop. I just didn't know where to move my king from check and had to resort to a random choice. That's no way to play!
--
Julian Waldby

Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

<0ba79b32-4d04-4bce-9131-dd5d4cc3d603n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1210&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1210

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:03:14 -0800 (PST)
From: jfwal...@gmail.com (Elvenverb)
 by: Elvenverb - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:03 UTC

On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 7:42:48 PM UTC-6, Julian wrote:
> I was playing maurice ashley teaches chess and he said the knights are ninjas.
>
> My bishops are the real ninjas. They can travel any distance: surprise! When I get them behind enemy lines 9 out of 10 times the enemy hangs a piece in their backward path.
>
> It's mainly because I've become familiar with defence vs. knights; their moves are no longer esoteric. They are the slowest piece on the board other than the king and now I know where to put my pieces to evade them. I suggest you learn these: next to the knight in a cardinal direction, diagonal two from the knight, at a 2X3 to the knight and three squares in a cardinal direction from the knight. There are more at greater distances, yet these are all the positions closest to the knight. Diagonally adjacent to the knight can be safe if you vet the two squares they have to bring them into attack position. Same with two squares in a cardinal direction. I made myself learn these because I was failing at last minute defense of the king and the enemy was a master with his knights. He was one of those guys who believes the knight is worth more points than the bishop. I just didn't know where to move my king from check and had to resort to a random choice. That's no way to play!
> --
> Julian Waldby

I'll concede that knights have a purpose. Their fantasy world name is, "meat shields for the ninjas".
--
Julian Waldby

Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

<64c9ca15-6d1d-405c-a711-0cdee22f81ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1211&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1211

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:27:34 -0800 (PST)
From: nastyhor...@gmail.com (Eli Kesef)
 by: Eli Kesef - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:27 UTC

On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 9:03:16 PM UTC+2, Elvenverb wrote:
> On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 7:42:48 PM UTC-6, Julian wrote:
> > I was playing maurice ashley teaches chess and he said the knights are ninjas.
> >
> > My bishops are the real ninjas. They can travel any distance: surprise! When I get them behind enemy lines 9 out of 10 times the enemy hangs a piece in their backward path.
> >
> > It's mainly because I've become familiar with defence vs. knights; their moves are no longer esoteric. They are the slowest piece on the board other than the king and now I know where to put my pieces to evade them. I suggest you learn these: next to the knight in a cardinal direction, diagonal two from the knight, at a 2X3 to the knight and three squares in a cardinal direction from the knight. There are more at greater distances, yet these are all the positions closest to the knight. Diagonally adjacent to the knight can be safe if you vet the two squares they have to bring them into attack position. Same with two squares in a cardinal direction. I made myself learn these because I was failing at last minute defense of the king and the enemy was a master with his knights. He was one of those guys who believes the knight is worth more points than the bishop. I just didn't know where to move my king from check and had to resort to a random choice. That's no way to play!
> > --
> > Julian Waldby
> I'll concede that knights have a purpose. Their fantasy world name is, "meat shields for the ninjas".
> --
> Julian Waldby

Bs"d

I have nothing with knights, but the horse is my favorite piece. Just now I forked a 1900 on Lichess, and he right away threw in the towel.

That's what horses do. The make horrible horse forks. I have a whole thread on these beasts: The most beautiful and devastating tactical concept

That's where I store my horse forks. Guess I have to add my latest as well.. Preferably before Feb 22.

But anyway, horses are GREAT!

https://tinyurl.com/withu4k

Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

<01aa6565-f7ca-4009-88d9-51a98c0a851fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1213&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1213

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:41:42 -0800 (PST)
From: nastyhor...@gmail.com (Eli Kesef)
 by: Eli Kesef - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:41 UTC

On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 9:03:16 PM UTC+2, Elvenverb wrote:
> On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 7:42:48 PM UTC-6, Julian wrote:
> > I was playing maurice ashley teaches chess and he said the knights are ninjas.
> >
> > My bishops are the real ninjas. They can travel any distance: surprise! When I get them behind enemy lines 9 out of 10 times the enemy hangs a piece in their backward path.
> >
> > It's mainly because I've become familiar with defence vs. knights; their moves are no longer esoteric. They are the slowest piece on the board other than the king and now I know where to put my pieces to evade them. I suggest you learn these: next to the knight in a cardinal direction, diagonal two from the knight, at a 2X3 to the knight and three squares in a cardinal direction from the knight. There are more at greater distances, yet these are all the positions closest to the knight. Diagonally adjacent to the knight can be safe if you vet the two squares they have to bring them into attack position. Same with two squares in a cardinal direction. I made myself learn these because I was failing at last minute defense of the king and the enemy was a master with his knights. He was one of those guys who believes the knight is worth more points than the bishop. I just didn't know where to move my king from check and had to resort to a random choice. That's no way to play!
> > --
> > Julian Waldby
> I'll concede that knights have a purpose. Their fantasy world name is, "meat shields for the ninjas".
> --
> Julian Waldby

Bs"d

On amateur/patzer level, which is where I happen to be, horses are MUCH stronger than bishops.

Most never see the forks coming. :)

https://tinyurl.com/what-t4k

Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

<a1b014ad-9254-419c-b2f5-b46f8303630an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1214

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:37:03 -0800 (PST)
From: jfwal...@gmail.com (Elvenverb)
 by: Elvenverb - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:37 UTC

On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 5:27:36 PM UTC-6, Eli Kesef wrote:
> On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 9:03:16 PM UTC+2, Elvenverb wrote:
> > On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 7:42:48 PM UTC-6, Julian wrote:
> > > I was playing maurice ashley teaches chess and he said the knights are ninjas.
> > >
> > > My bishops are the real ninjas. They can travel any distance: surprise! When I get them behind enemy lines 9 out of 10 times the enemy hangs a piece in their backward path.
> > >
> > > It's mainly because I've become familiar with defence vs. knights; their moves are no longer esoteric. They are the slowest piece on the board other than the king and now I know where to put my pieces to evade them. I suggest you learn these: next to the knight in a cardinal direction, diagonal two from the knight, at a 2X3 to the knight and three squares in a cardinal direction from the knight. There are more at greater distances, yet these are all the positions closest to the knight. Diagonally adjacent to the knight can be safe if you vet the two squares they have to bring them into attack position. Same with two squares in a cardinal direction. I made myself learn these because I was failing at last minute defense of the king and the enemy was a master with his knights. He was one of those guys who believes the knight is worth more points than the bishop. I just didn't know where to move my king from check and had to resort to a random choice. That's no way to play!
> > > --
> > > Julian Waldby
> > I'll concede that knights have a purpose. Their fantasy world name is, "meat shields for the ninjas".
> > --
> > Julian Waldby
> Bs"d
>
> I have nothing with knights, but the horse is my favorite piece. Just now I forked a 1900 on Lichess, and he right away threw in the towel.
>
> That's what horses do. The make horrible horse forks. I have a whole thread on these beasts: The most beautiful and devastating tactical concept
>
> That's where I store my horse forks. Guess I have to add my latest as well. Preferably before Feb 22.
>
> But anyway, horses are GREAT!
>
> https://tinyurl.com/withu4k

I didn't like the way the Oriental lady was pestering me with her knights. I howled at her over voicechat. Then I showed her how it was done, I forked her bishop and queen.
--
Julian Waldby

Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

<89df83cc-e02e-414e-8548-f2b9bbecd704n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1215&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1215

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:29:47 -0800 (PST)
From: jfwal...@gmail.com (Elvenverb)
 by: Elvenverb - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:29 UTC

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 3:37:05 AM UTC-6, Elvenverb wrote:
> On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 5:27:36 PM UTC-6, Eli Kesef wrote:

> > > I'll concede that knights have a purpose. Their fantasy world name is, "meat shields for the ninjas".
> > > --
> > > Julian Waldby
> > Bs"d
> >
> > I have nothing with knights, but the horse is my favorite piece. Just now I forked a 1900 on Lichess, and he right away threw in the towel.
> >
> > That's what horses do. The make horrible horse forks. I have a whole thread on these beasts: The most beautiful and devastating tactical concept
> >
> > That's where I store my horse forks. Guess I have to add my latest as well. Preferably before Feb 22.
> >
> > But anyway, horses are GREAT!
> >
> > https://tinyurl.com/withu4k
> I didn't like the way the Oriental lady was pestering me with her knights.. I howled at her over voicechat. Then I showed her how it was done, I forked her bishop and queen.
> --
> Julian Waldby

That was when I was experimenting a knight specification called threading. Let's call it 'track' instead. I switched the knight over to the other track and naturally stepped into the fork.

Re: Likening a piece to a real world (or fantasy world) object

<3c766aba-b446-42e2-9b7e-c55943927b17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1216&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1216

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:05:11 -0800 (PST)
From: nastyhor...@gmail.com (Eli Kesef)
 by: Eli Kesef - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:05 UTC

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 9:29:49 PM UTC+2, Elvenverb wrote:

> > > Bs"d
> > >
> > > I have nothing with knights, but the horse is my favorite piece. Just now I forked a 1900 on Lichess, and he right away threw in the towel.
> > >
> > > That's what horses do. The make horrible horse forks. I have a whole thread on these beasts: The most beautiful and devastating tactical concept
> > >
> > > That's where I store my horse forks. Guess I have to add my latest as well. Preferably before Feb 22.
> > >
> > > But anyway, horses are GREAT!
> > >
> > > https://tinyurl.com/withu4k
> > I didn't like the way the Oriental lady was pestering me with her knights. I howled at her over voicechat. Then I showed her how it was done, I forked her bishop and queen.
> > --
> > Julian Waldby
> That was when I was experimenting a knight specification called threading.. Let's call it 'track' instead. I switched the knight over to the other track and naturally stepped into the fork.

Bs"d

I'll have to see that to believe it.