From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Remember the Alamo - 6 March 1836
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 07:58:55 -0600
 by: David Carson - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:58 UTC

On this day 186 years ago, the Mexican army commanded by Generalissimo
Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna attacked a garrison of fewer than 200 Texian
defenders who had taken up a position inside a former Spanish mission in
San Antonio called the Alamo. The attack came at the end of a 13-day
siege, during which time the Texian commander, Lt. Colonel William Barrett
Travis, sent out multiple appeals for aid. All of the defenders were
killed, but Santa Anna lost up to a thousand men in the battle. News of
the defenders' bravery and valor spread, along with Travis's posthumous
appeals, inspiring men to come to the aid of the Texian cause.

Six weeks later, the Texian army led by General Sam Houston defeated
Santa Anna in a surprise attack at San Jacinto, near present-day
Houston. Their battle cry: "Remember the Alamo!"

David Carson

--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: Remember the Alamo - 6 March 1836

<060320220919100965%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12177&group=alt.obituaries#12177

Subject: Re: Remember the Alamo - 6 March 1836
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 09:19:10 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 14:19 UTC

In article <t02emv$1mfs$1@gioia.aioe.org>, David Carson
<davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:

> On this day 186 years ago, the Mexican army commanded by Generalissimo
> Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna attacked a garrison of fewer than 200 Texian
> defenders who had taken up a position inside a former Spanish mission in
> San Antonio called the Alamo. The attack came at the end of a 13-day
> siege, during which time the Texian commander, Lt. Colonel William Barrett
> Travis, sent out multiple appeals for aid. All of the defenders were
> killed, but Santa Anna lost up to a thousand men in the battle. News of
> the defenders' bravery and valor spread, along with Travis's posthumous
> appeals, inspiring men to come to the aid of the Texian cause.
>
> Six weeks later, the Texian army led by General Sam Houston defeated
> Santa Anna in a surprise attack at San Jacinto, near present-day
> Houston. Their battle cry: "Remember the Alamo!"
>
> David Carson

Thank you once again for noting this.

Re: Remember the Alamo - 6 March 1836

<c2e69c47-e80c-47a7-a698-3a83799841b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12183&group=alt.obituaries#12183

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:57:35 -0800 (PST)
From: marc.cat...@gmail.com (Marc Catone)
 by: Marc Catone - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 19:57 UTC

On Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 8:59:00 AM UTC-5, David Carson wrote:
> On this day 186 years ago, the Mexican army commanded by Generalissimo
> Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna attacked a garrison of fewer than 200 Texian
> defenders who had taken up a position inside a former Spanish mission in
> San Antonio called the Alamo. The attack came at the end of a 13-day
> siege, during which time the Texian commander, Lt. Colonel William Barrett
> Travis, sent out multiple appeals for aid. All of the defenders were
> killed, but Santa Anna lost up to a thousand men in the battle. News of
> the defenders' bravery and valor spread, along with Travis's posthumous
> appeals, inspiring men to come to the aid of the Texian cause.
>
> Six weeks later, the Texian army led by General Sam Houston defeated
> Santa Anna in a surprise attack at San Jacinto, near present-day
> Houston. Their battle cry: "Remember the Alamo!"
>
> David Carson
>
> --
> Dead or Alive Data Base
> http://www.doadb.com

I was at the Alamo about five years ago. The Alamo itself is not very impressive, but the museum next to it is quite worthwhile.

Re: Remember the Alamo - 6 March 1836

<t03apa$fcc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12184&group=alt.obituaries#12184

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 15:58:01 -0600
 by: David Carson - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 21:58 UTC

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:57:35 -0800 (PST), Marc Catone
<marc.catone@gmail.com> wrote:

>I was at the Alamo about five years ago. The Alamo itself is not very impressive, but the museum next to it is quite worthwhile.

The two standing buildings are but a very small part of the complex where
the siege and battle occured. The chapel building that most people now
refer to as "The Alamo" is the shrine of Texas liberty.

David Carson

Re: Remember the Alamo - 6 March 1836

<t03ps3$2ec$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12187&group=alt.obituaries#12187

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 02:15:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 02:15 UTC

David Carson <davo@neosoft.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:57:35 -0800 (PST), Marc Catone
> <marc.catone@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I was at the Alamo about five years ago. The Alamo itself is not very impressive, but the museum next to it is quite worthwhile.
>
> The two standing buildings are but a very small part of the complex where
> the siege and battle occured. The chapel building that most people now
> refer to as "The Alamo" is the shrine of Texas liberty.
>
> David Carson

I went to San Antonio for the 1998 World Science Fiction Convention
and the ride from the airport went first by a complex where the word
"Alamo" was spelled out on smokestacks,which the driver joked was
perhaps not what we expected (I responded on the premise that it was
a car rental place) but the actual Alamo was right near the destination
hotel,which he later noted as "the real deal".

Viva Max!

-=-=-