Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 14:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bitcoin motto: Vires in Numeris or Vis in Numeris?
From: logi...@gmail.com (Ryan Wilson)
 by: Ryan Wilson - Fri, 23 Apr 2021 21:08 UTC

On Monday, April 22, 2013 at 9:53:05 AM UTC+9, B. T. Raven wrote:
> Die Sun Apr 21 2013 17:42:14 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sandro
> kensan <ken...@kensan.it> scripsit:
> Btw, what will the market say about bitcoin when the maximum of 21
> million have been struck? I have a good motto for bitcoin mark II:
> catena fide dignorum ad nihilum conexa = a chain of trust tied to
> nothing. Fiat currencies have policemen to back them up when the chain
> of trust is broken. Maybe bitcoin mark II will be solid gold.
>
> Eduardus

Hey Eduardus, Concerning your good motto for bitcoin mark II, could you change it to say "a chain of trust tied to an open market" or "a chain of trust tied to the people" or "a chain of trust tied to a logic based system"? Fiat has lying politicians to back them up so even the "nothing" is more appealing at this point.

Re: Bitcoin motto: Vires in Numeris or Vis in Numeris?

<3vk68ghnboc23e4k275kllq5gbbmn2fbu3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=122&group=alt.language.latin#122

From: jeffjeff...@gmail.com (Jeff Hill)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 09:21:49 +1000
 by: Jeff Hill - Fri, 23 Apr 2021 23:21 UTC

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 14:08:59 -0700 (PDT), Ryan Wilson
<logic79@gmail.com> wrote:

>or bitcoin ma

Good-day Gentlemen, Pardon me, may I contribute my SEXTANS' worth to
your discussion, the antecedents of which I know not. At first sight I
thought that CATENA FIDE DIGNORVM AD NIHILVM CONEXA might be a
hexameter, and I am disappointed to discover otherwise!

v - v v - - - * - v v - - - -
CATENA FIDE DIGNORVM AD NIHILVM CONEXA

If you allow me to coin a term: MONETALES MORSVS = coin bites =
bitcoins, and allow me to scan VERSIONEM as I think Catullus or
someone might have done in order to poke -IO- into a hexameter,

HANCE VIDE VERSIONEM EDVARDE: MONETALES SVNT
MORSVS DIGNA CATENA FIDE AD NILVM CONEXA.

Look at this version, Ed: Bitcoins are a chain worthy of one's faith
but are underwritten by nuttin'.

In the original version, CATENA FIDE DIGNORVM AD NIHILVM CONEXA, what
is the translation of the DIGNORVM clause? Or, why is DIGNORVM a
(neuter? male?) plural?