From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: John von Neumann (1903?57) was a Hungarian-American mathematician,
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 00:20:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 00:20 UTC

Dave P. <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> John von Neumann (1903=E2=80=9357) was a Hungarian-American mathematician,=
> =20
> physicist, computer scientist, engineer and polymath.

What was the occasion for mentioning him here now?

I recall decades ago I used him in creating a set of "nested" lives
(each born before and died after the last)...

John Gunther Jr 1929-1947 (subject of DEATH BE NOT PROUD)
Dylan Thomas 1914-1953
James Agee 1909-1955 (novelist)
John Von Neumann 1903-1957
Frederic Joliot-Curie 1900-1958 (physicist)
C.S. Lewis 1898-1963
Edmund Wilson 1895-1972
J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973
Carl A. Spaatz 1891-1974

....this set of course fits within the life of Jeanne Calment
(1875-1997),still the all-time longevity record-holder,but as
I wrote it I was putting in more obscure local worthies,
such as Ethel Augusta Wallbridge Gilman (subject of a grandson's
Op-Ed memorial in the NY Times,1878-1978),Henry H. Wells (my
county's last surviving Spanish-American War veteran,1877-later
in 1978),J. Franklin Ryan (a town judge in the county south of
me,spent an extraordinary time as member of a volunteer fire
department,1876-1981),and I don't recall if I had any 1880s-born
people who died in 1975/6....may have forgotten others.

This is independent of the present oldest person Kane Tanaka's
life including the non-overlapping lifespans of
Bix Beiderback 1903-31
Betty Jack Davis 1932-53
Freddie Prinze 1954-77
Aaliyah 1979-2001

Some years back I think I posted a living person's life
including FIVE short-lived,non-overlapping notables' lives.
But has anyone born after 2001 achieved notability and then
died?

-=-=-

Re: John von Neumann (1903?57) was a Hungarian-American mathematician,

<t0vsut$k4c$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12299&group=alt.obituaries#12299

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:59:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:59 UTC

Dave P. <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Louis Epstein wrote:
>> Dave P. wrote:
>> > John von Neumann was a Hungarian-American mathematician,
>> > physicist, computer scientist, engineer and polymath.
>> What was the occasion for mentioning him here now?
> -------------
> Since everybody's talking about World War III !
> --

Many others have written of that since WW II...

> --
>
>> I recall decades ago I used him in creating a set of "nested" lives
>> (each born before and died after the last)...
>>
>> John Gunther Jr 1929-1947 (subject of DEATH BE NOT PROUD)
>> Dylan Thomas 1914-1953
>> James Agee 1909-1955 (novelist)
>> John Von Neumann 1903-1957
>> Frederic Joliot-Curie 1900-1958 (physicist)
>> C.S. Lewis 1898-1963
>> Edmund Wilson 1895-1972
>> J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973
>> Carl A. Spaatz 1891-1974
>>
>> ...this set of course fits within the life of Jeanne Calment
>> (1875-1997),still the all-time longevity record-holder,but as
>> I wrote it I was putting in more obscure local worthies,
>> such as Ethel Augusta Wallbridge Gilman (subject of a grandson's
>> Op-Ed memorial in the NY Times,1878-1978),Henry H. Wells (my
>> county's last surviving Spanish-American War veteran,1877-later
>> in 1978),J. Franklin Ryan (a town judge in the county south of
>> me,spent an extraordinary time as member of a volunteer fire
>> department,1876-1981),and I don't recall if I had any 1880s-born
>> people who died in 1975/6....may have forgotten others.
>>
>> This is independent of the present oldest person Kane Tanaka's
>> life including the non-overlapping lifespans of
>> Bix Beiderback 1903-31
*becke (I must have been thinking of Davis as I finished
Beiderbecke's name)
>> Betty Jack Davis 1932-53
>> Freddie Prinze 1954-77
>> Aaliyah 1979-2001
>>
>> Some years back I think I posted a living person's life
>> including FIVE short-lived, non-overlapping notables' lives.
>> But has anyone born after 2001 achieved notability and then
>> died?

-=-=-

Re: John von Neumann (1903?57) was a Hungarian-American mathematician,

<170320221552326200%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12301&group=alt.obituaries#12301

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:52:32 -0400
 by: A Friend - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:52 UTC

In article <t0vsut$k4c$1@reader1.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

> Dave P. <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Louis Epstein wrote:
> >> What was the occasion for mentioning him here now?
> > -------------
> > Since everybody's talking about World War III !
> > --
>
> Many others have written of that since WW II...
>
> > --
> >
> >> I recall decades ago I used him in creating a set of "nested" lives
> >> (each born before and died after the last)...
> >>
> >> John Gunther Jr 1929-1947 (subject of DEATH BE NOT PROUD)
> >> Dylan Thomas 1914-1953
> >> James Agee 1909-1955 (novelist)
> >> John Von Neumann 1903-1957
> >> Frederic Joliot-Curie 1900-1958 (physicist)
> >> C.S. Lewis 1898-1963
> >> Edmund Wilson 1895-1972
> >> J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973
> >> Carl A. Spaatz 1891-1974
> >>
> >> ...this set of course fits within the life of Jeanne Calment
> >> (1875-1997),still the all-time longevity record-holder,but as
> >> I wrote it I was putting in more obscure local worthies,
> >> such as Ethel Augusta Wallbridge Gilman (subject of a grandson's
> >> Op-Ed memorial in the NY Times,1878-1978),Henry H. Wells (my
> >> county's last surviving Spanish-American War veteran,1877-later
> >> in 1978),J. Franklin Ryan (a town judge in the county south of
> >> me,spent an extraordinary time as member of a volunteer fire
> >> department,1876-1981),and I don't recall if I had any 1880s-born
> >> people who died in 1975/6....may have forgotten others.
> >>
> >> This is independent of the present oldest person Kane Tanaka's
> >> life including the non-overlapping lifespans of
> >> Bix Beiderback 1903-31
> *becke (I must have been thinking of Davis as I finished
> Beiderbecke's name)

Or maybe you were thinking of Beider Back Better.