Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: U.S. Navy Works to Salvage Lost F-35 Before China Can Inspect It
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:23:43 -0800
 by: a425couple - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:23 UTC

What is the glide path of descent on a F-35?
What would that glide path of descent be when under water?

from
https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/u-s-navy-works-to-salvage-lost-f-35-before-china-can-inspect-it

U.S. Navy Works to Salvage Lost F-35 Before China Can Inspect It
f-35 fighterAn F-35C lands on the deck of the carrier USS Carl Vinson
(USN file image)
PUBLISHED JAN 27, 2022 9:09 PM BY THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE

The U.S. Navy is taking steps to recover the wreckage of an F-35C
fighter than went off the deck of a carrier during a landing mishap on
Monday, officials said.

Seven people were injured when the advanced stealth fighter struck the
flight deck of the carrier USS Carl Vinson during an exercise in the
South China Sea. The Vinson was undamaged and normal operations have
resumed, but the service wants to get custody of the high-tech
components of the plane's wreckage before any near-peer competitors can
get a look at the jet's technology.

China claims almost all of the South China Sea as its own, and it may
attempt to make a salvage claim on the plane - or simply take what it
needs from the wreckage, according to experts.

"China will try to locate and survey it thoroughly using submarines and
one of its deep diving submersibles," said Carl Schuster, former
director of operations at Pacific Command's Joint Intelligence Center,
speaking to CNN.

It is the second time in three months that the U.S. Navy has rushed its
salvage resources to the scene of an F-35 crash. In November, an F-35B
STOVL variant crashed on takeoff from the deck of the Royal Navy carrier
HMS Queen Elizabeth, the victim of a suspected plastic raincover
malfunction. The pilot safely ejected, and the Royal Navy requested U.S.
assistance in recovering the aircraft from the bottom.

Chinese cyber forces are believed to have obtained secret data on the
F-35 through espionage in 2007, U.S. officials told media in 2014,
resulting in improvements to China's J-20 stealth fighter program.
Still, access to the actual aircraft could be of assistance, according
to security experts.

"I think they would want to see actual parts of the plane, to better
understand how it is laid out and find its vulnerabilities," said Bryce
Barros, an analyst with the Truman Project, speaking to the BBC.

Re: U.S. Navy Works to Salvage Lost F-35 Before China Can Inspect It

<%RzJJ.31789$7U.2475@fx42.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1231&group=soc.history.war.misc#1231

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:25:29 -0800
 by: a425couple - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:25 UTC

On 1/30/2022 9:23 AM, a425couple wrote:
> What is the glide path of descent on a F-35?
> What would that glide path of descent be when under water?
>
> from
> https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/u-s-navy-works-to-salvage-lost-f-35-before-china-can-inspect-it
>

> U.S. Navy Works to Salvage Lost F-35 Before China Can Inspect It
> f-35 fighterAn F-35C lands on the deck of the carrier USS Carl Vinson
> (USN file image)
> PUBLISHED JAN 27, 2022 9:09 PM BY THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE
>

> The U.S. Navy is taking steps to recover the wreckage of an F-35C
> fighter than went off the deck of a carrier during a landing mishap on
> Monday, officials said.
>
> Seven people were injured when the advanced stealth fighter struck the
> flight deck of the carrier USS Carl Vinson during an exercise in the
> South China Sea. The Vinson was undamaged and normal operations have
> resumed, but the service wants to get custody of the high-tech
> components of the plane's wreckage before any near-peer competitors can
> get a look at the jet's technology.
>
> China claims almost all of the South China Sea as its own, and it may
> attempt to make a salvage claim on the plane - or simply take what it
> needs from the wreckage, according to experts.
>

> "China will try to locate and survey it thoroughly using submarines and
> one of its deep diving submersibles," said Carl Schuster, former
> director of operations at Pacific Command's Joint Intelligence Center,
> speaking to CNN.
>
> It is the second time in three months that the U.S. Navy has rushed its
> salvage resources to the scene of an F-35 crash. In November, an F-35B
> STOVL variant crashed on takeoff from the deck of the Royal Navy carrier
> HMS Queen Elizabeth, the victim of a suspected plastic raincover
> malfunction. The pilot safely ejected, and the Royal Navy requested U.S.
> assistance in recovering the aircraft from the bottom.
>
> Chinese cyber forces are believed to have obtained secret data on the
> F-35 through espionage in 2007, U.S. officials told media in 2014,
> resulting in improvements to China's J-20 stealth fighter program.
> Still, access to the actual aircraft could be of assistance, according
> to security experts.
>
> "I think they would want to see actual parts of the plane, to better
> understand how it is laid out and find its vulnerabilities," said Bryce
> Barros, an analyst with the Truman Project, speaking to the BBC.

couple comments:

mizmite6 • a day ago
That just sealed the fate of the jet in Canada. Rafael is the better plane.

Phil Salvatore mizmite6 • 17 hours ago
You do not even know if the mishap was caused by pilot error,
statistically most likely, or an arresting gear failure (my personal
suspicion because of the injuries suffered by flight deck personnel).

Rafale lacks all aspect Low Observable features and as a result does not
have the ability to penetrate airspace defended by the best ground based
air defense systems. Trying to attack targets in China or Russia with
Rafales would end up looking like what happened to the VT squadrons at
the Battle of Midway where almost all of them were shot down without
scoring a single hit. Unless an aircraft has all aspect L-O it is not
survivable against the most advanced peer enemies. The F-35 probably
should have been called the A-35 or at the very least the F/A-35 because
much of what drove its design is the ability to fly unobserved over the
best air defense systems and attack targets deep behind enemy lines. Air
to air and dogfighting are secondary capabilities. If an F-35 finds
itself at the merge in a visual dogfight an awful lot went wrong with
the mission plan to get to that point. It should never happen. The F-22
and soon its upcoming replacement NGAD are the air superiority fighters.