Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Linda Manz, 58, starred in Dennis Hopper's "Out of the Blue" (1980)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:00 UTC

On Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 1:16:51 AM UTC-4, lenona wrote:
> Check out the punk band names on the girl's bedroom wall - they are: "Teenage
> Head," "Submission," and "Public Enemy." (Clearly not THAT band, in 1980!)

Yes, it's kind of silly to bring this up again. But anyway...

While I think there's more than one scene where you can see what's on the bedroom walls, on one occasion, at least, the sign said "The Subhumans," not "Submission."

(There's more than one punk band named "Subhumans" - one is British. Each has its own Wikipedia page. However, given the time and location, it's more likely that the group in question was the Vancouver group, founded in 1978.)

Also, I found that "Public Enemy" was actually a short-lived newsprint publication. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember one issue - at an antiquarian book fair! It may have had a drawing of Elvis Costello on the cover - or someone similar.

More on it:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/events-and-entertainment/the-original-public-enemy-designed-in-vancouver-1924233
(this has pictures)

Bob Kronbauer
Dec 27, 2011 9:34 AM

If you're a hip hop history nerd then you already know that the rap group Public Enemy came together in 1986 and released their first album, Yo! Bum Rush the Show, in 1987.

If you're a Vancouver punk rock history nerd then you already know about the newsprint publication, entitled Public Enemy, that the Georgia Straight launched almost a decade previous, in 1978, which lasted six issues.

At the intersection of these two seemingly unrelated pieces of music history meet two Public Enemy logos which both utilize the same typeface and share a very similar design (although P.E. the group expand on it with the addition of "man in crosshairs" icon). Now I know that there are more than a few design nerds (like myself) out there who read V.I.A., and I would love to hear what you all think of this. Is it a cut and dry case of there not being many typefaces available in the 70's and 80's and the designers having Stencil in front of them and going the obvious route with the stacked layout? Did both parties have an actual stencil that they used to design their logo as it was pre Adobe Illustrator times when both were designed? Or perhaps was it a little more sinister than that?...

(snip - it's short)