6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Massey University academic Cat Pause dies suddenly

SubjectAuthor
* Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenlyBig Mongo
+- Re: Massey University academic Cat Paus? dies suddenlyLouis Epstein
+- Re: Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenlyA Friend
`- Re: Massey University academic Cat Pause dies suddenlyAdam H. Kerman

1
Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenly

<d49e3d2d-2098-4f4a-9b0f-0b5088fa6671n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12366&group=alt.obituaries#12366

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Massey_University_academic_Cat_Pausé_dies_suddenly
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:50 UTC

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/128179041/massey-university-academic-cat-paus-dies-suddenly

Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenly
Aaron Leaman
22:12, Mar 26 2022

Cat Pausé,​ an academic whose research explored the impacts of “fat stigma”, has died.

A fat studies researcher, Pausé's work focused on the wellbeing of overweight people and “the effects of spoiled identities” on their health.

Labour MP Deborah Russell​ shared news of Pausé’s death on Saturday via her Twitter account.

“I know very few details except that our darling friend died in her sleep last night. I am so very sad, and I know that many in academic and union circles will be shocked and saddened too,” Russell wrote.

Pausé spoke to Stuff in January about the discrimination fat people face in their everyday lives, especially in regard to healthcare. Moral panic over obesity levels perpetuates this.

“Everyone has anti-fat attitudes. We find them in kids as young as three. We’re not born hating fat people, we’re not born finding fat people disgusting, or that fat people are lazy or lacking discipline or willpower,” Pause said.

“We learned these attitudes, we can absolutely unlearn them.”

Re: Massey University academic Cat Paus? dies suddenly

<t22hok$7q9$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12369&group=alt.obituaries#12369

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Massey University academic Cat Paus? dies suddenly
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:23 UTC

Big Mongo <bigmongo1963@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/128179041/massey-university-academic-cat-paus-dies-suddenly
>
> Massey University academic Cat Paus? dies suddenly
> Aaron Leaman
> 22:12, Mar 26 2022
>
> Cat Paus?,? an academic whose research explored the impacts of ?fat
> stigma?, has died.

Like...encouraging people to lose weight and avoid adverse
health effects?
> A fat studies researcher, Paus?'s work focused on the wellbeing of
> overweight people and ?the effects of spoiled identities? on their health.
>
> Labour MP Deborah Russell? shared news of Paus??s death on Saturday via her
> Twitter account.
>
> ?I know very few details except that our darling friend died in her sleep
> last night. I am so very sad, and I know that many in academic and union
> circles will be shocked and saddened too,? Russell wrote.
>
> Paus? spoke to Stuff in January about the discrimination fat people face in
> their everyday lives, especially in regard to healthcare. Moral panic over
> obesity levels perpetuates this.
>
> ?Everyone has anti-fat attitudes. We find them in kids as young as three.
> We?re not born hating fat people, we?re not born finding fat people
> disgusting, or that fat people are lazy or lacking discipline or willpower,?
> Pause said.
>
> ?We learned these attitudes, we can absolutely unlearn them.?

So was the thrust of her advocacy directed at ignoring the reasons
one should not be obese if possible?

To what extent did her weight contribute to her death?
(She was in her early forties).

-=-=-

Re: Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenly

<300320221815399423%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12370&group=alt.obituaries#12370

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:15:39 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 22:15 UTC

In article <d49e3d2d-2098-4f4a-9b0f-0b5088fa6671n@googlegroups.com>,
Big Mongo <bigmongo1963@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/128179041/massey-university-academi
> c-cat-paus-dies-suddenly
>
> Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenly
> Aaron Leaman
> 22:12, Mar 26 2022
>
> Cat Pausé,? an academic whose research explored the impacts of “fat stigma”,
> has died.

She was somewhere around 41 and 43 years of age, likely 42. If she or
anyone else ever mentioned what her weight actually was, I can't find
it.

Pics here:

https://resources.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/4/y/x/u/x/a/image.relat
ed.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.1240x700.4yxur9.png/1648366953219.jpg?for
mat=pjpg&optimize=medium

https://tinyurl.com/mwv8chv3

Re: Massey University academic Cat Pause dies suddenly

<t22ml0$27f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12371&group=alt.obituaries#12371

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Massey University academic Cat Pause dies suddenly
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 22:46:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 22:46 UTC

Big Mongo <bigmongo1963@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/128179041/massey-university-academic-cat-paus-dies-suddenly

>Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenly
>Aaron Leaman
>22:12, Mar 26 2022

>Cat Pause, an academic whose research explored the impacts of
>"fat stigma", has died.

>A fat studies researcher, Pause's work focused on the wellbeing of
>overweight people and "the effects of spoiled identities" on their
>health.

I can't believe this is a field.

Look: People should keep their stupid opinions to themselves.

Where's my Ph.D and funding?

>. . .

>"Everyone has anti-fat attitudes. We find them in kids as young as
>three. We're not born hating fat people, we're not born finding fat
>people disgusting, or that fat people are lazy or lacking discipline or
>willpower," Pause said.

"We learned these attitudes, we can absolutely unlearn them."

That's nice. How does what a third-party thinks have fuck all to do with
whether an obese person should care for his own health?