After Goliath's defeat, giants ceased to command respect. -- Freeman Dyson

interests / alt.politics / Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding166p1
`* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isRabidHussar
 +* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This ispothead
 |+* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstandingRabidHussar
 ||`* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isrbowman
 || `* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isRabidHussar
 ||  +* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isRockinghorse Winner
 ||  |`- Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstandingchrisv
 ||  `- Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isrbowman
 |+- Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isrbowman
 |`* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is166p1
 | `* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isRabidHussar
 |  `* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is166p1
 |   `- Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isRabidHussar
 `* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is166p1
  `* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isRabidHussar
   `* Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is166p1
    `- Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This isRabidHussar

1
Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<15adnVjBQrBWRBT8nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12265&group=alt.politics#12265

Subject: Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:15:38 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:15 UTC

On 11/8/21 3:31 PM, pothead wrote:
> On 2021-11-08, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
>> On 11/8/21 14:15, Zeke Cotmutt wrote:
>>> Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face� This is
>>> outstanding�
>>>
>>> Humpty Dumpty got more than he bargained for with this lady.
>>>
>>> <https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/newsweek-editor-shames-brian-
>>> stelter-to-his-face-this-is-outstanding/>
>>>
>>> Or watch it on YouTube here:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/jWiSHqE-6mM
>>
>> He prefers to be called Humpty Dumpster.
>
> Journalism has hit an all time low.
> Fortunately it appears that the people are getting wise because
> ratings for networks like CNN are in the toilet as they should be.
> I think the time is right for an unbiased, non commentary news
> network because the line between partisan commentary and fact based
> news, and just the news, has become blurred.
> It used to be that commentary and opinions were left for the
> editorial pages or the opinion segment of the broadcast. That is no
> longer true.

Very unfortunately, the phrase "If it bleeds it leads" is
true. More extremist, the more agitating, reporting and
commentary are likely to lead to higher ratings. However
the public WILL eventually get tired of it - so extremism
is a short-term fix. CNN/MSNBC did increase their ratings
while trashing Trump in the lead-up to the election. Alas
when that was done, it was DONE, and even "liberals" were
tired of hearing such bullshit all the time.

FOX tends to keep it at a medium boil on the whole - not
TOO too, but still enough crusading to keep it interesting.
Levine in particular has become a rabid bulldog, but he
is only on for about an hour and then you get something
lighter. Hannity sometimes pushes it too much as well,
but he's not the Vast Kommie Konspiracy type Levine has
become - more a "mocker" pointing out leftist idiocy and
abusive agendas/policies/results. Still, I can stand
about five minutes or so, and then ...

So ... do NOT expect objective fact-based centrist news
networks. It won't pay. It's a quirk of human psychology.

There have been a few exceptions - and they mostly seem to
revolve around some news source that caters to upper classes
and those hoping to become upper class. A snooty, better
than the rabble, upper-crust focused selection of stories
appeals to a different quirk in human psychology. The WSJ
and, long ago, the NYT used to sell themselves as elite
news for elite people. Now the NYT has become worse than
a lot of tabloids ... catering to the welfare class.

Oh, and Linux doesn't really NEED "advocacy" - it's in
almost everything these days from vending machines to
routers to the giant social media and search engines.
Just because Joe Average doesn't KNOW it really isn't
a problem. Joe is better off with Winders and Mac -
eye-candy, hand-holding, systems. Real-world 'getting
it DONE' computing, there's Linux/Unix. Those nice
big shiny black mainframes IBM sells - Linux is
reputed to be the most popular OS now (IBM will
sell you support though - for a very nominal fee :-)

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<0bxiJ.71478$g35.13385@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12277&group=alt.politics#12277

Subject: Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is
outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 11:18:03 -0500
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:18 UTC

On 11/8/21 21:15, 166p1 wrote:
> On 11/8/21 3:31 PM, pothead wrote:

>>> He prefers to be called Humpty Dumpster.
>>
>> Journalism has hit an all time low.
>> Fortunately it appears that the people are getting wise because
>> ratings for networks like CNN are in the toilet as they should be.
>> I think the time is right for an unbiased, non commentary news
>> network because the line between partisan commentary and fact based
>> news, and just the news, has become blurred.
>> It used to be that commentary and opinions were left for the
>> editorial pages or the opinion segment of the broadcast. That is no
>> longer true.
>
>   Very unfortunately, the phrase "If it bleeds it leads" is
>   true. More extremist, the more agitating, reporting and
>   commentary are likely to lead to higher ratings. However
>   the public WILL eventually get tired of it - so extremism
>   is a short-term fix. CNN/MSNBC did increase their ratings
>   while trashing Trump in the lead-up to the election. Alas
>   when that was done, it was DONE, and even "liberals" were
>   tired of hearing such bullshit all the time.

You'd have to hope that they were but their whole lives are about
routine and repetition so it's hard to tell.

>   FOX tends to keep it at a medium boil on the whole - not
>   TOO too, but still enough crusading to keep it interesting.
>   Levine  in particular has become a rabid bulldog, but he
>   is only on for about an hour and then you get something
>   lighter. Hannity sometimes pushes it too much as well,
>   but he's not the Vast Kommie Konspiracy type Levine has
>   become - more a "mocker" pointing out leftist idiocy and
>   abusive agendas/policies/results. Still, I can stand
>   about five minutes or so, and then ...

The problem is that Hannity is himself repetitious. I recall a time
where every episode of his show was the same from Monday to Friday. It
drove my wife and I to just cancel the network when we still had cable.
We loved Tucker but Hannity was just that boring.

>   So ... do NOT expect objective fact-bed centrist news
>   networks. It won't pay. It's a quirk of human psychology.
>
>   There have been a few exceptions - and they mostly seem to
>   revolve around some news source that caters to upper classes
>   and those hoping to become upper class. A snooty, better
>   than the rabble, upper-crust focused selection of stories
>   appeals to a different quirk in human psychology. The WSJ
>   and, long ago, the NYT used to sell themselves as elite
>   news for elite people. Now the NYT has become worse than
>   a lot of tabloids ... catering to the welfare class.
>
>   Oh, and Linux doesn't really NEED "advocacy" - it's in
>   almost everything these days from vending machines to
>   routers to the giant social media and search engines.
>   Just because Joe Average doesn't KNOW it really isn't
>   a problem. Joe is better off with Winders and Mac -
>   eye-candy, hand-holding, systems. Real-world 'getting
>   it DONE' computing, there's Linux/Unix. Those nice
>   big shiny black mainframes IBM sells - Linux is
>   reputed to be the most popular OS now (IBM will
>   sell you support though - for a very nominal fee :-)

The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it dies
a natural death.

--
@RabidHussar
Proudly cable-free

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<sme8iv$b6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12278&group=alt.politics#12278

From: poth...@snakebite.com (pothead)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
outstanding
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:45:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pothead - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:45 UTC

On 2021-11-09, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
> On 11/8/21 21:15, 166p1 wrote:

>>> Journalism has hit an all time low.
>>> Fortunately it appears that the people are getting wise because
>>> ratings for networks like CNN are in the toilet as they should be.
>>> I think the time is right for an unbiased, non commentary news
>>> network because the line between partisan commentary and fact based
>>> news, and just the news, has become blurred.
>>> It used to be that commentary and opinions were left for the
>>> editorial pages or the opinion segment of the broadcast. That is no
>>> longer true.
>>
>>   Very unfortunately, the phrase "If it bleeds it leads" is
>>   true. More extremist, the more agitating, reporting and
>>   commentary are likely to lead to higher ratings. However
>>   the public WILL eventually get tired of it - so extremism
>>   is a short-term fix. CNN/MSNBC did increase their ratings
>>   while trashing Trump in the lead-up to the election. Alas
>>   when that was done, it was DONE, and even "liberals" were
>>   tired of hearing such bullshit all the time.
>
> You'd have to hope that they were but their whole lives are about
> routine and repetition so it's hard to tell.

They are mostly wannabe actors and actresses who get their marching
orders and parrot whatever the corporate line is for the day.
Usually some kind of attack on Trump or conservatives.

>>   FOX tends to keep it at a medium boil on the whole - not
>>   TOO too, but still enough crusading to keep it interesting.
>>   Levine  in particular has become a rabid bulldog, but he
>>   is only on for about an hour and then you get something
>>   lighter. Hannity sometimes pushes it too much as well,
>>   but he's not the Vast Kommie Konspiracy type Levine has
>>   become - more a "mocker" pointing out leftist idiocy and
>>   abusive agendas/policies/results. Still, I can stand
>>   about five minutes or so, and then ...
>
> The problem is that Hannity is himself repetitious. I recall a time
> where every episode of his show was the same from Monday to Friday. It
> drove my wife and I to just cancel the network when we still had cable.
> We loved Tucker but Hannity was just that boring.

Hannity is defineatly a repeat-o-matic and gets tedious quickly.
Tucker is much better at exploring both sides to an issue and tends
to be more engaging.

Fox is of course mostly a right wing network, by far, however they
do have liberals on staff and frequently have guests from opposing
views on the show. Clyburn his a frequent guest as are other
democrats and liberals.

CNN and MSNBC rarely do that. They both used to have Rick Santorum
on once in a while but even that has ceased. They push the left side
of every issue and strive to somehow attach everything to Trump so
they can avoid talking of Biden's so far disastrous presidency.

>>   So ... do NOT expect objective fact-bed centrist news
>>   networks. It won't pay. It's a quirk of human psychology.
>>
>>   There have been a few exceptions - and they mostly seem to
>>   revolve around some news source that caters to upper classes
>>   and those hoping to become upper class. A snooty, better
>>   than the rabble, upper-crust focused selection of stories
>>   appeals to a different quirk in human psychology. The WSJ
>>   and, long ago, the NYT used to sell themselves as elite
>>   news for elite people. Now the NYT has become worse than
>>   a lot of tabloids ... catering to the welfare class.
>>
>>   Oh, and Linux doesn't really NEED "advocacy" - it's in
>>   almost everything these days from vending machines to
>>   routers to the giant social media and search engines.
>>   Just because Joe Average doesn't KNOW it really isn't
>>   a problem. Joe is better off with Winders and Mac -
>>   eye-candy, hand-holding, systems. Real-world 'getting
>>   it DONE' computing, there's Linux/Unix. Those nice
>>   big shiny black mainframes IBM sells - Linux is
>>   reputed to be the most popular OS now (IBM will
>>   sell you support though - for a very nominal fee :-)
>
> The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
> and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
> two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it dies
> a natural death.

I use Linux as well as Windows. My family is all Windows 7, 10 and
11 and none of us seem to have issues. Minor things here and there
but for the most part they all work rather well.

It's amazing how far technology and operating systems have come.

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<LSxiJ.18670$3q9.17228@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12280&group=alt.politics#12280

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:04:43 -0500
 by: RabidHussar - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:04 UTC

On 11/9/21 11:45, pothead wrote:
> On 2021-11-09, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:

>>>   Very unfortunately, the phrase "If it bleeds it leads" is
>>>   true. More extremist, the more agitating, reporting and
>>>   commentary are likely to lead to higher ratings. However
>>>   the public WILL eventually get tired of it - so extremism
>>>   is a short-term fix. CNN/MSNBC did increase their ratings
>>>   while trashing Trump in the lead-up to the election. Alas
>>>   when that was done, it was DONE, and even "liberals" were
>>>   tired of hearing such bullshit all the time.
>>
>> You'd have to hope that they were but their whole lives are about
>> routine and repetition so it's hard to tell.
>
> They are mostly wannabe actors and actresses who get their marching
> orders and parrot whatever the corporate line is for the day.
> Usually some kind of attack on Trump or conservatives.

I can't help but notice that it is usually out-of-work actors who
haven't been a household name in decades. If people say "what about
Robert De Niro?" I'll remind them that the idiot is down to making
movies like Dirty Grandpa where all he does is swear and then show his
penis for a laugh.

>>>   FOX tends to keep it at a medium boil on the whole - not
>>>   TOO too, but still enough crusading to keep it interesting.
>>>   Levine  in particular has become a rabid bulldog, but he
>>>   is only on for about an hour and then you get something
>>>   lighter. Hannity sometimes pushes it too much as well,
>>>   but he's not the Vast Kommie Konspiracy type Levine has
>>>   become - more a "mocker" pointing out leftist idiocy and
>>>   abusive agendas/policies/results. Still, I can stand
>>>   about five minutes or so, and then ...
>>
>> The problem is that Hannity is himself repetitious. I recall a time
>> where every episode of his show was the same from Monday to Friday. It
>> drove my wife and I to just cancel the network when we still had cable.
>> We loved Tucker but Hannity was just that boring.
>
> Hannity is defineatly a repeat-o-matic and gets tedious quickly.
> Tucker is much better at exploring both sides to an issue and tends
> to be more engaging.
>
> Fox is of course mostly a right wing network, by far, however they
> do have liberals on staff and frequently have guests from opposing
> views on the show. Clyburn his a frequent guest as are other
> democrats and liberals.
>
> CNN and MSNBC rarely do that. They both used to have Rick Santorum
> on once in a while but even that has ceased. They push the left side
> of every issue and strive to somehow attach everything to Trump so
> they can avoid talking of Biden's so far disastrous presidency.

I notice that the "conservatives" MSNBC and CNN have don't have any kind
of conservative idea.

>>>   So ... do NOT expect objective fact-bed centrist news
>>>   networks. It won't pay. It's a quirk of human psychology.
>>>
>>>   There have been a few exceptions - and they mostly seem to
>>>   revolve around some news source that caters to upper classes
>>>   and those hoping to become upper class. A snooty, better
>>>   than the rabble, upper-crust focused selection of stories
>>>   appeals to a different quirk in human psychology. The WSJ
>>>   and, long ago, the NYT used to sell themselves as elite
>>>   news for elite people. Now the NYT has become worse than
>>>   a lot of tabloids ... catering to the welfare class.
>>>
>>>   Oh, and Linux doesn't really NEED "advocacy" - it's in
>>>   almost everything these days from vending machines to
>>>   routers to the giant social media and search engines.
>>>   Just because Joe Average doesn't KNOW it really isn't
>>>   a problem. Joe is better off with Winders and Mac -
>>>   eye-candy, hand-holding, systems. Real-world 'getting
>>>   it DONE' computing, there's Linux/Unix. Those nice
>>>   big shiny black mainframes IBM sells - Linux is
>>>   reputed to be the most popular OS now (IBM will
>>>   sell you support though - for a very nominal fee :-)
>>
>> The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
>> and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
>> two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it dies
>> a natural death.
>
> I use Linux as well as Windows. My family is all Windows 7, 10 and
> 11 and none of us seem to have issues. Minor things here and there
> but for the most part they all work rather well.
>
> It's amazing how far technology and operating systems have come.

Yes but I'll be the first to admit that if you get Linux configured just
right (like this current machine with openSUSE Tumbleweed), then you
aren't likely to need to configure it ever again. Windows has a tendency
to break after the slightest thing including a driver update and if
we're talking about Bluetooth, it tends to forget properly-configured
devices for no reason at all.

--
@RabidHussar
Proudly cable-free
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<iv0qr5FpfhoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12301&group=alt.politics#12301

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
outstanding
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:58:49 -0700
 by: rbowman - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 02:58 UTC

On 11/09/2021 09:45 AM, pothead wrote:
> Hannity is defineatly a repeat-o-matic and gets tedious quickly.
> Tucker is much better at exploring both sides to an issue and tends
> to be more engaging.

The G-Man, RIP, had that problem too. He spent a lot of time back in his
glory days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ

Springsteen is living proof that a lefty can write some damn good songs.
I pretty much lived 'My Hometown', including the shotgun in the
backseat. Never had to fire it at least. The '60s version of BLM could
take a hint. The jobs went, never came back, and so did I.

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<iv0rnfFpk5hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12302&group=alt.politics#12302

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
outstanding
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 20:13:55 -0700
 by: rbowman - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 03:13 UTC

On 11/09/2021 10:04 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
> I can't help but notice that it is usually out-of-work actors who
> haven't been a household name in decades. If people say "what about
> Robert De Niro?" I'll remind them that the idiot is down to making
> movies like Dirty Grandpa where all he does is swear and then show his
> penis for a laugh.

Pains me to say it but he wasn't bad in 'The Irishman'.

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<wqadnQ6d1dzKoBb8nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12307&group=alt.politics#12307

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 22:32:38 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 03:32 UTC

On 11/9/21 11:18 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
> [...]
>>    news for elite people. Now the NYT has become worse than
>>    a lot of tabloids ... catering to the welfare class.
>>
>>    Oh, and Linux doesn't really NEED "advocacy" - it's in
>>    almost everything these days from vending machines to
>>    routers to the giant social media and search engines.
>>    Just because Joe Average doesn't KNOW it really isn't
>>    a problem. Joe is better off with Winders and Mac -
>>    eye-candy, hand-holding, systems. Real-world 'getting
>>    it DONE' computing, there's Linux/Unix. Those nice
>>    big shiny black mainframes IBM sells - Linux is
>>    reputed to be the most popular OS now (IBM will
>>    sell you support though - for a very nominal fee :-)
>
> The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
> and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
> two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it dies

Nothing keeps you from installing BOTH.

You can also make a virtual machine inside Winders and
install Linux/Unix.

Anyway, I don't play computer games. Servers and embedded
systems that WORK occupy my mental bandwidth.

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<Md2dnSyW0Omy3Bb8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12321&group=alt.politics#12321

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 22:49:03 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 03:49 UTC

On 11/9/21 11:45 AM, pothead wrote:
> [...]
>>>   Just because Joe Average doesn't KNOW it really isn't
>>>   a problem. Joe is better off with Winders and Mac -
>>>   eye-candy, hand-holding, systems. Real-world 'getting
>>>   it DONE' computing, there's Linux/Unix. Those nice
>>>   big shiny black mainframes IBM sells - Linux is
>>>   reputed to be the most popular OS now (IBM will
>>>   sell you support though - for a very nominal fee :-)
>>
>> The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
>> and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
>> two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it dies
>> a natural death.
>
> I use Linux as well as Windows. My family is all Windows 7, 10 and
> 11 and none of us seem to have issues. Minor things here and there
> but for the most part they all work rather well.
>
> It's amazing how far technology and operating systems have come.

Yes ... just amazing how Winders has become THE biggest
piece of spyware on the planet ....

Find an old Win-2k and look through the registry a bit.
Note the NSA backdoors already installed.

But it's cheaper than Mac.

Linux really isn't made for video games - and that seems
to be a major reason people buy PCs/laptops these days.
Linux is mostly business ... boring, but it makes the
world go 'round.

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<QbRiJ.18557$KV.11095@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12331&group=alt.politics#12331

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:04:16 -0500
 by: RabidHussar - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:04 UTC

On 11/9/21 22:13, rbowman wrote:
> On 11/09/2021 10:04 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
>> I can't help but notice that it is usually out-of-work actors who
>> haven't been a household name in decades. If people say "what about
>> Robert De Niro?" I'll remind them that the idiot is down to making
>> movies like Dirty Grandpa where all he does is swear and then show his
>> penis for a laugh.
>
> Pains me to say it but he wasn't bad in 'The Irishman'.

He wasn't, but he is definitely no longer a top name. It used to be that
if you saw "De Niro" on a poster, you expected a good movie. Now, his
name is synonymous with Bad Grandpa.

--
@RabidHussar
Proudly cable-free
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<JfRiJ.18559$KV.9588@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12332&group=alt.politics#12332

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:08:25 -0500
 by: RabidHussar - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:08 UTC

On 11/9/21 22:32, 166p1 wrote:
> On 11/9/21 11:18 AM, RabidHussar wrote:

>>>    Very unfortunately, the phrase "If it bleeds it leads" is
>>>    true. More extremist, the more agitating, reporting and
>>>    commentary are likely to lead to higher ratings. However
>>>    the public WILL eventually get tired of it - so extremism
>>>    is a short-term fix. CNN/MSNBC did increase their ratings
>>>    while trashing Trump in the lead-up to the election. Alas
>>>    when that was done, it was DONE, and even "liberals" were
>>>    tired of hearing such bullshit all the time.
>>
>> You'd have to hope that they were but their whole lives are about
>> routine and repetition so it's hard to tell.
>>
>>>    FOX tends to keep it at a medium boil on the whole - not
>>>    TOO too, but still enough crusading to keep it interesting.
>>>    Levine  in particular has become a rabid bulldog, but he
>>>    is only on for about an hour and then you get something
>>>    lighter. Hannity sometimes pushes it too much as well,
>>>    but he's not the Vast Kommie Konspiracy type Levine has
>>>    become - more a "mocker" pointing out leftist idiocy and
>>>    abusive agendas/policies/results. Still, I can stand
>>>    about five minutes or so, and then ...
>>
>> The problem is that Hannity is himself repetitious. I recall a time
>> where every episode of his show was the same from Monday to Friday. It
>> drove my wife and I to just cancel the network when we still had
>> cable. We loved Tucker but Hannity was just that boring.
>>
>>>    So ... do NOT expect objective fact-bed centrist news
>>>    networks. It won't pay. It's a quirk of human psychology.
>>>
>>>    There have been a few exceptions - and they mostly seem to
>>>    revolve around some news source that caters to upper classes
>>>    and those hoping to become upper class. A snooty, better
>>>    than the rabble, upper-crust focused selection of stories
>>>    appeals to a different quirk in human psychology. The WSJ
>>>    and, long ago, the NYT used to sell themselves as elite
>>>    news for elite people. Now the NYT has become worse than
>>>    a lot of tabloids ... catering to the welfare class.
>>>
>>>    Oh, and Linux doesn't really NEED "advocacy" - it's in
>>>    almost everything these days from vending machines to
>>>    routers to the giant social media and search engines.
>>>    Just because Joe Average doesn't KNOW it really isn't
>>>    a problem. Joe is better off with Winders and Mac -
>>>    eye-candy, hand-holding, systems. Real-world 'getting
>>>    it DONE' computing, there's Linux/Unix. Those nice
>>>    big shiny black mainframes IBM sells - Linux is
>>>    reputed to be the most popular OS now (IBM will
>>>    sell you support though - for a very nominal fee :-)
>>
>> The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
>> and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
>> two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it
>> dies a natural death.
>
>   Nothing keeps you from installing BOTH.
>
>   You can also make a virtual machine inside Winders and
>   install Linux/Unix.
>
>   Anyway, I don't play computer games. Servers and embedded
>   systems that WORK occupy my mental bandwidth.

I'm not a dual-boot type of person and I made that clear over the years
here. I'm a one-system kind of guy the same way that I can only have one
console, one computer and one woman. Still, I like Linux on a retired
Windows computer. Especially with openSUSE, it gives new life to
hardware which society would make you believe should be recycled for parts.

--
@RabidHussar
Proudly cable-free
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<3hRiJ.18560$KV.16740@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12333&group=alt.politics#12333

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:09:48 -0500
 by: RabidHussar - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:09 UTC

On 11/9/21 22:49, 166p1 wrote:
> On 11/9/21 11:45 AM, pothead wrote:

>>> You'd have to hope that they were but their whole lives are about
>>> routine and repetition so it's hard to tell.
>>
>> They are mostly wannabe actors and actresses who get their marching
>> orders and parrot whatever the corporate line is for the day.
>> Usually some kind of attack on Trump or conservatives.

>>> The problem is that Hannity is himself repetitious. I recall a time
>>> where every episode of his show was the same from Monday to Friday. It
>>> drove my wife and I to just cancel the network when we still had cable.
>>> We loved Tucker but Hannity was just that boring.
>>
>> Hannity is defineatly a repeat-o-matic and gets tedious quickly.
>> Tucker is much better at exploring both sides to an issue and tends
>> to be more engaging.
>>
>> Fox is of course mostly a right wing network, by far, however they
>> do have liberals on staff and frequently have guests from opposing
>> views on the show. Clyburn his a frequent guest as are other
>> democrats and liberals.
>>
>> CNN and MSNBC rarely do that. They both used to have Rick Santorum
>> on once in a while but even that has ceased. They push the left side
>> of every issue and strive to somehow attach everything to Trump so
>> they can avoid talking of Biden's so far disastrous presidency.

>>> The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
>>> and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
>>> two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it dies
>>> a natural death.
>>
>> I use Linux as well as Windows. My family is all Windows 7, 10 and
>> 11 and none of us seem to have issues. Minor things here and there
>> but for the most part they all work rather well.
>>
>> It's amazing how far technology and operating systems have come.
>
>   Yes ... just amazing how Winders has become THE biggest
>   piece of spyware on the planet ....
>
>   Find an old Win-2k and look through the registry a bit.
>   Note the NSA backdoors already installed.
>
>   But it's cheaper than Mac.
>
>   Linux really isn't made for video games - and that seems
>   to be a major reason people buy PCs/laptops these days.
>   Linux is mostly business ... boring, but it makes the
>   world go 'round.

I'm not a fan of the backdoors in Windows but until Linux can play FIFA
at the very least, I'll keep a Windows PC around. Civilization 6 works
but runs like shite in comparison to Windows and most of the other games
are indie titles which are good but not the greatest pushers of your
hardware.

--
@RabidHussar
Proudly cable-free
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<wQWiJ.624306$Ah33.428284@fx04.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12337&group=alt.politics#12337

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: Rockingh...@amgen.com (Rockinghorse Winner)
outstanding
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:29:00 GMT
 by: Rockinghorse Winner - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:29 UTC

On 2021-11-10, RabidHussar <rabid@huss.ar> wrote:
> On 11/9/21 22:13, rbowman wrote:
>> On 11/09/2021 10:04 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
>>> I can't help but notice that it is usually out-of-work actors who
>>> haven't been a household name in decades. If people say "what about
>>> Robert De Niro?" I'll remind them that the idiot is down to making
>>> movies like Dirty Grandpa where all he does is swear and then show his
>>> penis for a laugh.
>>
>> Pains me to say it but he wasn't bad in 'The Irishman'.
>
> He wasn't, but he is definitely no longer a top name. It used to be that
> if you saw "De Niro" on a poster, you expected a good movie. Now, his
> name is synonymous with Bad Grandpa.

At this point his artistic ambitions are limited to padding his nest egg.

--

"Many have sought in vain to tell joyously of the Most Joyous. Now at last It
declares Itself to me, now in this misery." - Holderlin

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<mofoogtb9sl292ladtlqc9s2q5vdoa66am@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12339&group=alt.politics#12339

From: chr...@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:57:00 -0600
 by: chrisv - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:57 UTC

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

> RabidHussar aka "Slimer" wrote:
>>
>> He wasn't, but he is definitely no longer a top name. It used to be that
>> if you saw "De Niro" on a poster, you expected a good movie. Now, his
>> name is synonymous with Bad Grandpa.
>
> At this point his artistic ambitions are limited to padding his nest egg.

A quick google says his net worth is $500 million. That's quite
enough.

I never liked him. I thought that he did such a good job playing
assholes because he is an asshole. And, for God's sake, why not get
that wart removed?

--
"If I had my way, the whole world would unite against Islam and
slaughter every single man and boy who calls it his faith." -

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<iv3flaFac9hU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12361&group=alt.politics#12361

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
outstanding
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:06:24 -0700
 by: rbowman - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 03:06 UTC

On 11/10/2021 08:04 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
> On 11/9/21 22:13, rbowman wrote:
>> On 11/09/2021 10:04 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
>>> I can't help but notice that it is usually out-of-work actors who
>>> haven't been a household name in decades. If people say "what about
>>> Robert De Niro?" I'll remind them that the idiot is down to making
>>> movies like Dirty Grandpa where all he does is swear and then show his
>>> penis for a laugh.
>>
>> Pains me to say it but he wasn't bad in 'The Irishman'.
>
> He wasn't, but he is definitely no longer a top name. It used to be that
> if you saw "De Niro" on a poster, you expected a good movie. Now, his
> name is synonymous with Bad Grandpa.

If I see 'Robert' on a poster I want it to be followed by Duvall.

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<NoydnXXG0ZQKBBH8nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12364&group=alt.politics#12364

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:18:30 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:18 UTC

On 11/10/21 10:08 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
> On 11/9/21 22:32, 166p1 wrote:

>>> You'd have to hope that they were but their whole lives are about
>>> routine and repetition so it's hard to tell.

>>> The problem is that Hannity is himself repetitious. I recall a time
>>> where every episode of his show was the same from Monday to Friday.
>>> It drove my wife and I to just cancel the network when we still had
>>> cable. We loved Tucker but Hannity was just that boring.

>>> The way that I see it: use Windows for as long as you have a warranty
>>> and for as long as the hardware can play the latest games. Once those
>>> two are out of the window, install Linux and hold onto it until it
>>> dies a natural death.
>>
>>    Nothing keeps you from installing BOTH.
>>
>>    You can also make a virtual machine inside Winders and
>>    install Linux/Unix.
>>
>>    Anyway, I don't play computer games. Servers and embedded
>>    systems that WORK occupy my mental bandwidth.
>
> I'm not a dual-boot type of person and I made that clear over the years
> here. I'm a one-system kind of guy the same way that I can only have one
> console, one computer and one woman. Still, I like Linux on a retired
> Windows computer. Especially with openSUSE, it gives new life to
> hardware which society would make you believe should be recycled for parts.

Use VirtualBox. Then you can have a full Linux, or several,
at your fingertips while never leaving Winders.

You can even set it up with DOS, CP/M-86, Winders-1 ...
(Boy, Winders-1, was THAT crappy ! ... Commodore had a
better system in their 128's).

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<0sadnTj029roBxH8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12365&group=alt.politics#12365

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:22:12 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:22 UTC

On 11/10/21 10:09 AM, RabidHussar wrote:
> On 11/9/21 22:49, 166p1 wrote:

>>> They are mostly wannabe actors and actresses who get their marching
>>> orders and parrot whatever the corporate line is for the day.
>>> Usually some kind of attack on Trump or conservatives.

>>> Hannity is defineatly a repeat-o-matic and gets tedious quickly.
>>> Tucker is much better at exploring both sides to an issue and tends
>>> to be more engaging.
>>>
>>> Fox is of course mostly a right wing network, by far, however they
>>> do have liberals on staff and frequently have guests from opposing
>>> views on the show. Clyburn his a frequent guest as are other
>>> democrats and liberals.
>>>
>>> CNN and MSNBC rarely do that. They both used to have Rick Santorum
>>> on once in a while but even that has ceased. They push the left side
>>> of every issue and strive to somehow attach everything to Trump so
>>> they can avoid talking of Biden's so far disastrous presidency.

>>> I use Linux as well as Windows. My family is all Windows 7, 10 and
>>> 11 and none of us seem to have issues. Minor things here and there
>>> but for the most part they all work rather well.
>>>
>>> It's amazing how far technology and operating systems have come.
>>
>>    Yes ... just amazing how Winders has become THE biggest
>>    piece of spyware on the planet ....
>>
>>    Find an old Win-2k and look through the registry a bit.
>>    Note the NSA backdoors already installed.
>>
>>    But it's cheaper than Mac.
>>
>>    Linux really isn't made for video games - and that seems
>>    to be a major reason people buy PCs/laptops these days.
>>    Linux is mostly business ... boring, but it makes the
>>    world go 'round.
>
> I'm not a fan of the backdoors in Windows but until Linux can play FIFA
> at the very least, I'll keep a Windows PC around. Civilization 6 works
> but runs like shite in comparison to Windows and most of the other games
> are indie titles which are good but not the greatest pushers of your
> hardware.

Not a fan ???

Backdoors are EVIL.

After finding those, I went back to my old RedHat I'd
bought at a big-box a few years earlier ... like a
beta-1 version of "X". That was pretty much the end
of anything I did with Winders except for maintainence
purposes on other peoples computers.

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<n%8jJ.29498$6a3.4556@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12374&group=alt.politics#12374

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 08:36:19 -0500
 by: RabidHussar - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 13:36 UTC

On 11/10/21 23:18, 166p1 wrote:
> On 11/10/21 10:08 AM, RabidHussar wrote:

>>>    Nothing keeps you from installing BOTH.
>>>
>>>    You can also make a virtual machine inside Winders and
>>>    install Linux/Unix.
>>>
>>>    Anyway, I don't play computer games. Servers and embedded
>>>    systems that WORK occupy my mental bandwidth.
>>
>> I'm not a dual-boot type of person and I made that clear over the
>> years here. I'm a one-system kind of guy the same way that I can only
>> have one console, one computer and one woman. Still, I like Linux on a
>> retired Windows computer. Especially with openSUSE, it gives new life
>> to hardware which society would make you believe should be recycled
>> for parts.
>
>   Use VirtualBox. Then you can have a full Linux, or several,
>   at your fingertips while never leaving Winders.

Not interested. Since this is no longer my gaming machine, I'm fine with
keeping it on Linux. It plays Civilization 6 - very well in Windows and
poorly in Linux - and that's enough.

--
@RabidHussar
Proudly cable-free

Re: Newsweek editor shames CNN's Brian Stelter to his face This is outstanding

<C19jJ.29499$6a3.24513@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12375&group=alt.politics#12375

outstanding
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,soc.culture.usa
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 08:38:41 -0500
 by: RabidHussar - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 13:38 UTC

Click here to read the complete article