From: jud...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Judith Latham)
Subject: Sootie
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 21:21:58 +0100
 by: Judith Latham - Tue, 18 May 2021 20:21 UTC

Sootie does not like most human food but one thing she does like is the
fish from the fish and chip shop. I don't know if you have this food in
the USA but it's deep fried battered cod with chips (not what we call
crisps or fries but thicker and usually not crisp from the chip shop). We
also have battered tinned roe. She'll eat the fish and roe taken out of
the batter and mushed up and quite enjoys it. Due to the pandemic and all
the bother with going into shops we found out that a local fish and chip
shop would deliver. So we had our meal delivered for a few weeks. Sootie
was a bit hit and miss whether she would eat much of it. However, when we
found out that our favourite shop had started deliveries we had them form
there. the difference in Sootie's enthusiasm was surprising. The first
week she was upstairs in bed when the delivery came, she must have smelled
it because she came running downstairs meowing in the hall while we dished
up. I couldn't get to the sitting room where she normally eats because of
her round my feet and had to put it down in the doorway for her. the last
two weeks she's been in the garden and has come inside at the time the
delivery comes and sat in the middle of the room obviously waiting. When
the door bell went and we had the food inside she was rubbing around our
legs then sat in the hall until she got hers. She knows too much this cat.
Does she know the man comes every Friday at about 6.10pm? It'll upset her
this week as we're having a Saturday delivery. :)

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Re: Sootie

<J9WoI.554394$nn2.352853@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=118&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#118

Subject: Re: Sootie
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 17:17:28 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 18 May 2021 21:17 UTC

On 5/18/2021 4:21 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
> Sootie does not like most human food but one thing she does like is the
> fish from the fish and chip shop. I don't know if you have this food in
> the USA but it's deep fried battered cod with chips (not what we call
> crisps or fries but thicker and usually not crisp from the chip shop). We
> also have battered tinned roe. She'll eat the fish and roe taken out of
> the batter and mushed up and quite enjoys it. Due to the pandemic and all
> the bother with going into shops we found out that a local fish and chip
> shop would deliver. So we had our meal delivered for a few weeks. Sootie
> was a bit hit and miss whether she would eat much of it. However, when we
> found out that our favourite shop had started deliveries we had them form
> there. the difference in Sootie's enthusiasm was surprising. The first
> week she was upstairs in bed when the delivery came, she must have smelled
> it because she came running downstairs meowing in the hall while we dished
> up. I couldn't get to the sitting room where she normally eats because of
> her round my feet and had to put it down in the doorway for her. the last
> two weeks she's been in the garden and has come inside at the time the
> delivery comes and sat in the middle of the room obviously waiting. When
> the door bell went and we had the food inside she was rubbing around our
> legs then sat in the hall until she got hers. She knows too much this cat.
> Does she know the man comes every Friday at about 6.10pm? It'll upset her
> this week as we're having a Saturday delivery. :)
>
> Judith

We do indeed have fish & chip shops (delicious!) although they aren't
nearly as common as they are in the UK. Are you familiar with an old
English character actor, Arthur Treacher? He usually portrayed a butler
or valet in old 1930's and 40's films. He opened a string of fish &
chips shops (Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips) in North America. Sadly,
only a few locations remain and none of them are near me. There are
still many other chain restaurants that primarily sell fish & chips, though.

I recall as a child going to visit a Scottish relative of my maternal
grandmother in Ontario province in Canada just across the US border.
This would have been around 1971. We went to a fish & chips shop. They
served the fish and the not-crispy chips wrapped in newsprint paper. :)

The Saturday delivery will likely throw Sootie off. I'm convinced cats
can tell time and they also have a little calendar tucked away
someplace. LOL I'd love to hear if Sootie is sitting there waiting for
HER delivery on Friday!

Jill

Re: Sootie

<592f35fa8ajudith@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=119&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#119

From: jud...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Judith Latham)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 20:32:41 +0100
 by: Judith Latham - Wed, 19 May 2021 19:32 UTC

In article <J9WoI.554394$nn2.352853@fx48.iad>, jmcquown
<j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 5/18/2021 4:21 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
> > Sootie does not like most human food but one thing she does like is
> > the fish from the fish and chip shop. I don't know if you have this
> > food in the USA but it's deep fried battered cod with chips (not what
> > we call crisps or fries but thicker and usually not crisp from the
> > chip shop). We also have battered tinned roe. She'll eat the fish and
> > roe taken out of the batter and mushed up and quite enjoys it. Due to
> > the pandemic and all the bother with going into shops we found out
> > that a local fish and chip shop would deliver. So we had our meal
> > delivered for a few weeks. Sootie was a bit hit and miss whether she
> > would eat much of it. However, when we found out that our favourite
> > shop had started deliveries we had them form there. the difference in
> > Sootie's enthusiasm was surprising. The first week she was upstairs in
> > bed when the delivery came, she must have smelled it because she came
> > running downstairs meowing in the hall while we dished up. I couldn't
> > get to the sitting room where she normally eats because of her round
> > my feet and had to put it down in the doorway for her. the last two
> > weeks she's been in the garden and has come inside at the time the
> > delivery comes and sat in the middle of the room obviously waiting.
> > When the door bell went and we had the food inside she was rubbing
> > around our legs then sat in the hall until she got hers. She knows too
> > much this cat. Does she know the man comes every Friday at about
> > 6.10pm? It'll upset her this week as we're having a Saturday delivery.
> > :)
> >
> > Judith
> >
> We do indeed have fish & chip shops (delicious!) although they aren't
> nearly as common as they are in the UK. Are you familiar with an old
> English character actor, Arthur Treacher? He usually portrayed a butler
> or valet in old 1930's and 40's films. He opened a string of fish &
> chips shops (Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips) in North America. Sadly,
> only a few locations remain and none of them are near me. There are
> still many other chain restaurants that primarily sell fish & chips,
> though.

> I recall as a child going to visit a Scottish relative of my maternal
> grandmother in Ontario province in Canada just across the US border.
> This would have been around 1971. We went to a fish & chips shop. They
> served the fish and the not-crispy chips wrapped in newsprint paper. :)

> The Saturday delivery will likely throw Sootie off. I'm convinced cats
> can tell time and they also have a little calendar tucked away
> someplace. LOL I'd love to hear if Sootie is sitting there waiting for
> HER delivery on Friday!

> Jill

That's very interesting about you having Fish and chips shops over there.
They always used to be wrapped in newspapers then greaseproof paper until
the late 1960/70s. it is a tradition too to have fish and chips on a
friday as Catholics shouldn't eat meat on a friday and it caught on with
everyone else and so the queues are at there worse on Fridays even now.
it's one of my favourite meals.

The Sootie test has been scuppered. We're going to the dentist on Friday
(we both have three broken teeth which we haven't got fixed in the lock
lockdown as they weren't hurting) so we weren't sure if our mouths would
have feeling back enough to eat them. However, as the appointments (mine
first then Bob's) start at 11.10am and he should be finished at about
12.30pm we should be ok by a delivery slot of 7-8pm an hour later than
normal so we'll see how she reacts to that. :)

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Re: Sootie

<4QCpI.422957$2A5.87118@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=120&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#120

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 20:06:22 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 21 May 2021 00:06 UTC

On 5/19/2021 3:32 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
> In article <J9WoI.554394$nn2.352853@fx48.iad>, jmcquown
> <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On 5/18/2021 4:21 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
>>> Sootie does not like most human food but one thing she does like is
>>> the fish from the fish and chip shop. I don't know if you have this
>>> food in the USA but it's deep fried battered cod with chips (not what
>>> we call crisps or fries but thicker and usually not crisp from the
>>> chip shop). We also have battered tinned roe. She'll eat the fish and
>>> roe taken out of the batter and mushed up and quite enjoys it. Due to
>>> the pandemic and all the bother with going into shops we found out
>>> that a local fish and chip shop would deliver. So we had our meal
>>> delivered for a few weeks. Sootie was a bit hit and miss whether she
>>> would eat much of it. However, when we found out that our favourite
>>> shop had started deliveries we had them form there. the difference in
>>> Sootie's enthusiasm was surprising. The first week she was upstairs in
>>> bed when the delivery came, she must have smelled it because she came
>>> running downstairs meowing in the hall while we dished up. I couldn't
>>> get to the sitting room where she normally eats because of her round
>>> my feet and had to put it down in the doorway for her. the last two
>>> weeks she's been in the garden and has come inside at the time the
>>> delivery comes and sat in the middle of the room obviously waiting.
>>> When the door bell went and we had the food inside she was rubbing
>>> around our legs then sat in the hall until she got hers. She knows too
>>> much this cat. Does she know the man comes every Friday at about
>>> 6.10pm? It'll upset her this week as we're having a Saturday delivery.
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Judith
>>>
>> We do indeed have fish & chip shops (delicious!) although they aren't
>> nearly as common as they are in the UK. Are you familiar with an old
>> English character actor, Arthur Treacher? He usually portrayed a butler
>> or valet in old 1930's and 40's films. He opened a string of fish &
>> chips shops (Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips) in North America. Sadly,
>> only a few locations remain and none of them are near me. There are
>> still many other chain restaurants that primarily sell fish & chips,
>> though.
>
>> I recall as a child going to visit a Scottish relative of my maternal
>> grandmother in Ontario province in Canada just across the US border.
>> This would have been around 1971. We went to a fish & chips shop. They
>> served the fish and the not-crispy chips wrapped in newsprint paper. :)
>
>> The Saturday delivery will likely throw Sootie off. I'm convinced cats
>> can tell time and they also have a little calendar tucked away
>> someplace. LOL I'd love to hear if Sootie is sitting there waiting for
>> HER delivery on Friday!
>
>> Jill
>

> That's very interesting about you having Fish and chips shops over there.

There have been a lot of immigrants from the UK (indeed, from all over)
dating back to the 17th century. My father's side of the family is also
Scottish and father and son were transported to the "Virginia Colonies"
in 1679 after being caught at the Battle of Bothwell bridge...
fighting on the "wrong side" (according to King Charles II). My
ancestors chose to fight on the side of the Catholics. Got caught and
from there my paternal line begins in what is now the USA. :)

At any rate, traditions (and food) do have a way of crossing the ocean.
Only the location changes. ;)

> They always used to be wrapped in newspapers then greaseproof paper until
> the late 1960/70s. it is a tradition too to have fish and chips on a
> friday as Catholics shouldn't eat meat on a friday and it caught on with
> everyone else and so the queues are at there worse on Fridays even now.
> it's one of my favourite meals.

Sadly, I have a hard time finding it where I live now. This is very
much a Southern seafood area but what is caught locally is heavy on the
shrimp (prawns) and crab. The water isn't cold enough for cod. Those
chain-type restaurants that sell fish & chips are not at all common.
Some local restaurants do sell fish & chips (using Pollock, not cod)
along with the aforementioned shrimp and crab cakes and all sorts of
other seafood on the menu. They have not been doing any sort of
delivery, not that I could afford to go out to eat.

I could make fish & chips at home, absolutely. I can buy cod, although
it's been "previously frozen" (according to the sign at the fish/seafood
counter in the supermarket). Thing is, I don't deep fry anything at
home anymore. It's too messy, then there is the bother of storing the
oil, disposing of the oil. Shouldn't use the same oil for the fish and
the chips! Lots of bother. I prefer to let someone else deal with it.
For now, I'll do without.

> The Sootie test has been scuppered. We're going to the dentist on Friday
> (we both have three broken teeth which we haven't got fixed in the lock
> lockdown as they weren't hurting)

At least they weren't hurting. <whew> I'd have put that off, too unless
I was in extreme pain.

> so we weren't sure if our mouths would
> have feeling back enough to eat them. However, as the appointments (mine
> first then Bob's) start at 11.10am and he should be finished at about
> 12.30pm we should be ok by a delivery slot of 7-8pm an hour later than
> normal so we'll see how she reacts to that. :)
>
> Judith

Hopefully you'll not have numb mouths and not sore mouths so you can
enjoy the fish & chips! Throws Sootie's calculations off but just a
bit, though. ;)

Jill

Re: Sootie

<593252b454judith@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=127&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#127

From: jud...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Judith Latham)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:35:02 +0100
 by: Judith Latham - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:35 UTC

> > The Sootie test has been scuppered. We're going to the dentist on
Friday
> > (we both have three broken teeth which we haven't got fixed in the
> > lock lockdown as they weren't hurting)

> At least they weren't hurting. <whew> I'd have put that off, too unless
> I was in extreme pain.

> > so we weren't sure if our mouths would have feeling back enough to eat
> > them. However, as the appointments (mine first then Bob's) start at
> > 11.10am and he should be finished at about 12.30pm we should be ok by
> > a delivery slot of 7-8pm an hour later than normal so we'll see how
> > she reacts to that. :)
> >
> > Judith
> >
> Hopefully you'll not have numb mouths and not sore mouths so you can
> enjoy the fish & chips! Throws Sootie's calculations off but just a
> bit, though. ;)

> Jill

our mouths were fine by 6pm so we could have had the delivery at our
normal time after all but it was best to be cautious. Sootie did come
inside at her 6.15pm, I told her the fish man would be late but she still
sat in the sitting room waiting until about 6.35pm when she went to bed.
The man came at 7.25pm. I called her to tell her her was here before we
opened the front door and sure enough, by the time we'd got the food
inside she was sitting in the hall waiting. She never gets off the bed
when I call her so she knew what it was for.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Re: Sootie

<6%yrI.92959$qy1.64018@fx26.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=132&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#132

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 17:23:13 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 26 May 2021 21:23 UTC

On 5/25/2021 4:35 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
> > > The Sootie test has been scuppered. We're going to the dentist on
> Friday
>>> (we both have three broken teeth which we haven't got fixed in the
>>> lock lockdown as they weren't hurting)
>
>> At least they weren't hurting. <whew> I'd have put that off, too unless
>> I was in extreme pain.
>
>>> so we weren't sure if our mouths would have feeling back enough to eat
>>> them. However, as the appointments (mine first then Bob's) start at
>>> 11.10am and he should be finished at about 12.30pm we should be ok by
>>> a delivery slot of 7-8pm an hour later than normal so we'll see how
>>> she reacts to that. :)
>>>
>>> Judith
>>>
>> Hopefully you'll not have numb mouths and not sore mouths so you can
>> enjoy the fish & chips! Throws Sootie's calculations off but just a
>> bit, though. ;)
>
>> Jill
>
> our mouths were fine by 6pm so we could have had the delivery at our
> normal time after all but it was best to be cautious. Sootie did come
> inside at her 6.15pm, I told her the fish man would be late but she still
> sat in the sitting room waiting until about 6.35pm when she went to bed.
> The man came at 7.25pm. I called her to tell her her was here before we
> opened the front door and sure enough, by the time we'd got the food
> inside she was sitting in the hall waiting. She never gets off the bed
> when I call her so she knew what it was for.
>
> Judith

That's so cute. :) I'm glad to hear your mouths are fine, too. Dental
work is no fun.

Jill