From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Actual Dollar Stores?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 05:33:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 10 May 2022 05:33 UTC

There's a store fairly close to me called Dollar World
(https://dollarworldny.com/ apparently not the only user of
the name but not a chain either) where almost nothing actually
costs only a dollar and that has been the case for years.

At a greater distance is a branch of Dollar Tree,which I knew
had been under pressure to stop being an actual dollar store,
and I went there on Friday to find that their new default item
price was $1.25 ("Exceptional Value!",said the sign next to
some 20-ounce A&W root beers,while the Acme supermarket next
door charged $2.59 for 67-ounce (2-liter) A&W root beers).
Apparently they knuckled under in January.

Today (Monday) I headed out to the east end of Danbury,where
in the past the Dollar Zone (https://www.onedollarzone.com/ with
the website at least implying they held the line) had had bigger
Hershey bars for $1 than Dollar Tree had done...and saw that
they had gone to $1.25 default in March...they had higher
priced items as well...saw nothing $1 though "AS LOW AS $1"
was under the logo).

Are there any dollar stores anywhere still charging only a dollar
for items?

I realize inflation has been hammering fixed-price stores ever
since Frank Woolworth's "Great Five Cent Store" went under in
1879 after opening and couldn't get traction until re-opening
with 10-cent items added in 1880,and by the 1930s they had
given up on limiting prices to 20 cents.
But it's still sad to see milestones fall.

-=-=-