Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 16:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 2/3 of the prison population are drug or alcohol abusers. Of the
other 1/3, most if not all have mental illness!
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Wed, 18 May 2022 23:29 UTC

On the other hand, it's worth noting that most convicted serial rapists, per se, are NOT mentally ill.

This makes sense, unfortunately - if they were typically mentally ill, we'd be hearing about that a lot more often. I don't recall hearing anything about substance abuse either, in their cases.

Which raises the question: what does that say about all the men who forced a crying woman into sex "only" once or twice in a lifetime?

(I ask because too many people still like to say that only "monsters" commit rape, which is very misleading. It would be like arguing that when it comes to teens who have already been given all the lectures, only "monsters" drink and drive and kill people - even if "only" once. Teens and young adults are not rational and have no end of excuses for their behavior. As in: "I drive better when I've had a few drinks" or "there's no such THING as unwanted sex - any idiot knows that!")

And when it comes to teens who kill strangers, one could argue that such kids are the product of a society that has forgotten to teach kids that controlling your feelings and dealing with them as quietly as possible are far more important than the feelings themselves. Similar examples would be adults who commit "air rage" on planes, with or without the influence of alcohol - and who thus put all the passengers' lives at risk. How often did such incidents happen before the 21st century?