Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: OT - Wait, the Russians really did dig trenches near Chernobyl?
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:53:30 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:53 UTC

from
https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/04/06/wait-the-russians-really-did-dig-trenches-near-chernobyl-n460550

Wait, the Russians really did dig trenches near Chernobyl?
ALLAHPUNDIT Apr 06, 2022 5:01 PM ET

I thought it was propaganda!

When rumors swirled that Russian troops who had occupied Chernobyl were
being treated for radiation poisoning, experts scoffed. Yes, they said,
Russians (and Ukrainians) in the vicinity would have been exposed to
higher than normal levels of radiation as movement in the area kicked
radioactive dust up into the air. And yes, if the reports were true that
the Russians had spent time in the no-go zone known as the “Red Forest,”
then they might expect to walk away with a higher long-term risk of
cancer than the average person. But radiation sickness requires a truly
massive dose. And besides, why the hell would they be digging trenches
in the Red Forest? Surely they’d know better than to surround themselves
with Chernobyl’s most toxic soil.

If this drone footage is accurate, they did not, in fact, know better.

As a quickie introduction to the Red Forest, skim this piece titled “The
Most Radioactive Outdoor Environment On The Planet.” The forest got its
name from the fact that trees there died almost instantly after the
Chernobyl disaster, turning from green to red as they “burned” from the
inside. One conservative estimate is that 400 times as much radioactive
material was released in that area than was released at Hiroshima. Those
ultra-radioactive trees were bulldozed, then buried in the soil
underneath a layer of sand, then new trees were planted on top. More
than 35 years later, the forest is still the most radioactive area at
Chernobyl, so much so that Ukrainians won’t enter it.

The Russians evidently dug there. And made camp, presumably, for God
knows how long.

I’m reminded of what a source who works at the plant told Reuters a few
weeks ago about his conversation with Russian soldiers occupying the
site. “When they were asked if they knew about the 1986 catastrophe, the
explosion of the fourth block (of the Chernobyl plant), they did not
have a clue. They had no idea what kind of a facility they were at,” he
said, claiming they were merely told that it was “critically important
infrastructure.” That seems absurd given Chernobyl’s infamy in the west,
but is it so hard to believe that Russian twentysomethings wouldn’t have
heard of it? Such episodes probably aren’t spoken of in history class or
on state television. So how would they know?

The military high command surely knew. They just didn’t care to tell
them, it seems, possibly fearing that units would have refused to deploy
there had they known where they were going.

Slavutych is a Ukrainian town built in the aftermath of the Chernobyl
disaster to relocate residents of Pripyat, the city where the reactor
was located. The mayor of Slavutych was asked what he thought about
Russian troops spending time in the exclusion zone:

The Russian Armed Forces really weren’t the brightest there — going to
Chernobyl and deciding that this was the best “green corridor” for an
invasion of Kyiv! Well, there will be very severe consequences, the
Chernobyl zone doesn’t forgive such things. This really was a
comfortable military route for them. But the Chernobyl zone requires
specific behavior. You can’t drive heavy equipment [through] there,
stirring up dust and breathing it. That’s what they did — they breathed
this radioactive dust for a month.

It’s one thing when you’re [exposed to] external radiation. [When]
there’s a source of radiation, you’re exposed, you leave, and then the
body copes with it. When you’ve inhaled radioactive dust it’s a
completely different story. Today, there’s even a saying that’s caught
on here — I’ve adopted it myself: Russian troops left Chernobyl, but
Chernobyl will never leave them. They’ve given their own soldiers a kiss
of death. The Russian military’s casualties from this war will increase
many times over after Chernobyl, without explosions — that’s a fact. And
these will be slow casualties, there will be casualties for several more
years. This is the science of cancer, it’s a terrible disease.

They probably didn’t get a dose high enough to cause acute radiation
sickness, though. How do we know? Because: As weird as it may sound, the
fact that people no longer enter the Red Forest means it’s become a
haven for wildlife. “It’s now home to Eurasian lynx, brown bears, and
black storks. In the mid-2010s, camera traps spotted the first European
bison in the area for 300 years—a lone male that is thought to have
migrated to the area after bison were introduced to the Belarusian side
of the zone in 1996,” Wired reported this week. Scientists had been in
and out of the area for years until recently to study the effects of the
lingering radiation on the animal population. It’s not high enough to
kill them in the short term, apparently. How much it may be shortening
their lifespans is a separate question.

Here’s Sky News reporting, surreally, on Russians camping out in the
most radioactive forest on Earth.

TAGS:

Re: OT - Wait, the Russians really did dig trenches near Chernobyl?

<t30t8e$jh0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1303&group=soc.history.war.misc#1303

From: keithwil...@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:43:43 +0100
 by: Keith Willshaw - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:43 UTC

On 08/04/2022 16:53, a425couple wrote:
> from

> I’m reminded of what a source who works at the plant told Reuters a few

> They probably didn’t get a dose high enough to cause acute radiation
> sickness, though. How do we know? Because: As weird as it may sound, the
> fact that people no longer enter the Red Forest means it’s become a
> haven for wildlife. “It’s now home to Eurasian lynx, brown bears, and
> black storks. In the mid-2010s, camera traps spotted the first European
> bison in the area for 300 years—a lone male that is thought to have
> migrated to the area after bison were introduced to the Belarusian side
> of the zone in 1996,” Wired reported this week. Scientists had been in
> and out of the area for years until recently to study the effects of the
> lingering radiation on the animal population. It’s not high enough to
> kill them in the short term, apparently. How much it may be shortening
> their lifespans is a separate question.
>
> Here’s Sky News reporting, surreally, on Russians camping out in the
> most radioactive forest on Earth.
>

> TAGS:

I used to work in the Nuclear Industry, we were never especially worried
about short term radiation exposure but inhaling particles that give off
alpha and beta radiation is a killer. If they get in your lungs or gut
then you have a real problem. Skin and simple protective clothing will
protect you to some degree but once its inside you all bets are off.
Most animals dont live that long and as far as wild life is concerned
most will breed early so the population does OK. For humans however the
risk of cancer goes through the roof. Digging trenches and living in
them was just an unpleasant form of long term suicide.