interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

SubjectAuthor
* Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanThat Derek
`* Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanTravoltron
 `* Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanA Friend
  +- Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanTravoltron
  `* Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanAdam H. Kerman
   +* Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanA Friend
   |`- Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanAdam H. Kerman
   `- Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of DuckmanTravoltron

1
Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<b26d33fc-1d63-4797-aacc-de0d2ac4da94n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13058&group=alt.obituaries#13058

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 16:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 23:42 UTC

https://www.animationmagazine.net/people/passings/duckman-creator-everett-peck-dies-age-71/

Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<t8gkuv$r5q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13059&group=alt.obituaries#13059

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 18:22:15 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 01:22 UTC

Never saw it, but I DID watch the Real Ghotbusters cartoon religiously
as a kid.

It was very confusing for us how there were two totally unrelated
cartoons called "Ghostbusters" airing at the same time.

Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<160620222232577532%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13060&group=alt.obituaries#13060

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:32:57 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 02:32 UTC

In article <t8gkuv$r5q$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Travoltron
<travoltron@defender.uni> wrote:

> Never saw it, but I DID watch the Real Ghotbusters cartoon religiously
> as a kid.
>
> It was very confusing for us how there were two totally unrelated
> cartoons called "Ghostbusters" airing at the same time.

There was also a syndicated TV comedy in 1975 called The Ghost Busters.
It reunited Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch from F Troop.

Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<t8gr1o$g7u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13063&group=alt.obituaries#13063

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 20:06:07 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 03:06 UTC

On 6/16/2022 7:32 PM, A Friend wrote:
> There was also a syndicated TV comedy in 1975 called The Ghost Busters.
> It reunited Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch from F Troop.

Yes, that one was a little bit before my time. One of those cartoons was
a sequel to THAT show, which I'd never heard of. The other was a sequel
to the Bill Murray movies.

I don't know who owns the rights to the word "ghostbuster" these days.
Probably Sony. Even though the term had been used on film long before
1975 by several others.

Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<t8gui8$m26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13064&group=alt.obituaries#13064

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 04:05:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 04:05 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>Travoltron <travoltron@defender.uni> wrote:

>>Never saw it, but I DID watch the Real Ghotbusters cartoon religiously
>>as a kid.

>>It was very confusing for us how there were two totally unrelated
>>cartoons called "Ghostbusters" airing at the same time.

>There was also a syndicated TV comedy in 1975 called The Ghost Busters.
>It reunited Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch from F Troop.

Filmation adapted its live action The Ghost Busters (1975, 15 episodes)
as the animated Ghostbusters (1986, 65 episodes). I never saw either. The
cartoon was supposed to be a continuation.

Columbia paid a licensing fee to Filmation for the title for the 1984 movie.
I have no idea why as titles aren't copyrighted.

Filmation created its own cartoon series based on the earlier television
series because Columbia assigned DiC to adapt the movie as a cartoon
series. J. Michael Straczynski was one of the writers on The Real
Ghostbusters. On Usenet and elsewhere, he's written about his experiences
on the show. There's a hint of the network interference and how changes
were forced, but he's talked about it rather extensively.

Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<170620220812256865%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13065&group=alt.obituaries#13065

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:12:25 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 12:12 UTC

In article <t8gui8$m26$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> A Friend wrote:
> >Travoltron <travoltron@defender.uni> wrote:
>
> >>Never saw it, but I DID watch the Real Ghotbusters cartoon religiously
> >>as a kid.
>
> >>It was very confusing for us how there were two totally unrelated
> >>cartoons called "Ghostbusters" airing at the same time.
>
> >There was also a syndicated TV comedy in 1975 called The Ghost Busters.
> >It reunited Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch from F Troop.
>
> Filmation adapted its live action The Ghost Busters (1975, 15 episodes)
> as the animated Ghostbusters (1986, 65 episodes). I never saw either. The
> cartoon was supposed to be a continuation.
>
> Columbia paid a licensing fee to Filmation for the title for the 1984 movie.
> I have no idea why as titles aren't copyrighted.

Paying the fee was likely cheaper than fighting a lawsuit. BTW the
title Ghostbusters is trademarked. The trademark includes a
distinctive font and that little ghost in the "O."

IIRC Harvey Comics sued for infringement because the ghost looked a lot
like one of their Ghostly Trio characters.

> Filmation created its own cartoon series based on the earlier television
> series because Columbia assigned DiC to adapt the movie as a cartoon
> series. J. Michael Straczynski was one of the writers on The Real
> Ghostbusters. On Usenet and elsewhere, he's written about his experiences
> on the show. There's a hint of the network interference and how changes
> were forced, but he's talked about it rather extensively.

Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<t8hstp$mvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13067&group=alt.obituaries#13067

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 12:43:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 12:43 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>A Friend wrote:

>>>There was also a syndicated TV comedy in 1975 called The Ghost Busters.
>>>It reunited Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch from F Troop.
>
>>Filmation adapted its live action The Ghost Busters (1975, 15 episodes)
>>as the animated Ghostbusters (1986, 65 episodes). I never saw either. The
>>cartoon was supposed to be a continuation.
>>Columbia paid a licensing fee to Filmation for the title for the 1984 movie.
>>I have no idea why as titles aren't copyrighted.

>Paying the fee was likely cheaper than fighting a lawsuit. BTW the
>title Ghostbusters is trademarked. The trademark includes a
>distinctive font and that little ghost in the "O."

>IIRC Harvey Comics sued for infringement because the ghost looked a lot
>like one of their Ghostly Trio characters.

I recall. They lost but it took years.

>>Filmation created its own cartoon series based on the earlier television
>>series because Columbia assigned DiC to adapt the movie as a cartoon
>>series. J. Michael Straczynski was one of the writers on The Real
>>Ghostbusters. On Usenet and elsewhere, he's written about his experiences
>>on the show. There's a hint of the network interference and how changes
>>were forced, but he's talked about it rather extensively.

Re: Everett Peck, 71, animator/creator of Duckman

<t8i653$10rg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13069&group=alt.obituaries#13069

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:21:46 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:21 UTC

On 6/16/2022 9:05 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> J. Michael Straczynski was one of the writers on The Real
> Ghostbusters. On Usenet and elsewhere, he's written about his experiences
> on the show. There's a hint of the network interference and how changes
> were forced, but he's talked about it rather extensively.

There's a guy on YouTube that did an interesting video on how ABC ruined
what was once their number one Saturday morning cartoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW51PDa_puE

It's a follow-up to a video about the first two good seasons of the Real
Ghostbusters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z5Oc76joxo