Tuesday is the Wednesday of the rest of your life.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: vocal profile

SubjectAuthor
* vocal profileLazypierrot
+- Re: vocal profileCDB
`- Re: vocal profilePeter T. Daniels

1
vocal profile

<c6b3e92a-717f-459d-9997-29f64541f47en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130614&group=alt.usage.english#130614

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: vocal profile
From: lazypier...@gmail.com (Lazypierrot)
 by: Lazypierrot - Fri, 13 May 2022 05:39 UTC

I would like to know the meaning of "profile" in the following passage.
I wonder if it means something like characteristics, quality, or general impression.

For both men and women, the people who had lowered their pitch ended up with a higher social rank and were considered to be more dominant in the group, while those who had raised their pitch were considered to be more submissive and had a lower social rank.
These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that greater gender equality explains the long-term vocal shift in those Australian women ― a pattern that has now been recorded in Sweden, the US and Canada. Whether consciously or unconsciously, women appear to be adapting their vocal profile to suit the opportunities that are available to them today.

Cordially,

LP

Re: vocal profile

<t5ldos$poi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130665&group=alt.usage.english#130665

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: vocal profile
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 07:00:42 -0400
 by: CDB - Fri, 13 May 2022 11:00 UTC

On 5/13/2022 1:39 AM, Lazypierrot wrote:
> I would like to know the meaning of "profile" in the following
> passage. I wonder if it means something like characteristics,
> quality, or general impression.

Yes, essentially; a summary of them.

"8. Character; totality of related characteristics; signature; status
(especially in scientific, technical, or military uses).

What's the thermal profile on that thing?"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/profile

> For both men and women, the people who had lowered their pitch ended
> up with a higher social rank and were considered to be more dominant
> in the group, while those who had raised their pitch were considered
> to be more submissive and had a lower social rank. These findings are
> consistent with the hypothesis that greater gender equality explains
> the long-term vocal shift in those Australian women ― a pattern that
> has now been recorded in Sweden, the US and Canada. Whether
> consciously or unconsciously, women appear to be adapting their vocal
> profile to suit the opportunities that are available to them today.

Re: vocal profile

<8590ba70-2922-4513-a83b-b75465e1417en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130704&group=alt.usage.english#130704

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 07:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 13 May 2022 14:23 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 1:39:32 AM UTC-4, Lazypierrot wrote:

> I would like to know the meaning of "profile" in the following passage.
> I wonder if it means something like characteristics, quality, or general impression.
>

> For both men and women, the people who had lowered their pitch ended up with a higher social rank and were considered to be more dominant in the group, while those who had raised their pitch were considered to be more submissive and had a lower social rank.
> These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that greater gender equality explains the long-term vocal shift in those Australian women ― a pattern that has now been recorded in Sweden, the US and Canada. Whether consciously or unconsciously, women appear to be adapting their vocal profile to suit the opportunities that are available to them today.

Yes. Why don 't you trust your instinct?

The context tells you what it means.