The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent thinkers.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

SubjectAuthor
* sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Athel Cornish-Bowden
+- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Peter T. Daniels
+* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Ross Clark
|+* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?lar3ryca
||+* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?David Kleinecke
|||`* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Peter T. Daniels
||| +- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?bruce bowser
||| `- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?David Kleinecke
||`* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Ken Blake
|| `* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?lar3ryca
||  +* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Ken Blake
||  |`- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?lar3ryca
||  `- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Snidely
|+* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Ruud Harmsen
||+* Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?lar3ryca
|||`- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Ruud Harmsen
||`- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Ross Clark
|`- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?Peter T. Daniels
`- Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?bruce bowser

1
sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<je7oe0Ffb19U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130753&group=alt.usage.english#130753

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:04:32 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 13 May 2022 19:04 UTC

Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.

Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:

Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on
3rd May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too
busy.

That's it.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<b581aa8b-5658-4f16-8039-9a667d442d82n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130762&group=alt.usage.english#130762

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 12:42:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 13 May 2022 19:42 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 3:04:37 PM UTC-4, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
> wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.
>
> Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
> have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:
>
> Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on
> 3rd May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too
> busy.
>
> That's it.

Leave it to an ex-"scientist" to take an extremely short, or myopic, view.

Or to only pop in once as quarter or so.

Or to imagine that sci.lang is populated by people knowledgeable
about a nonexistent category such as "Eastern Asian languages."
What does the former "enzyme kineticist" suppose all "Eastern
Asian languages" have in common? Several of them are written
with variants of a distinctive writing system, but I wouldn't expect
the ex-"scientist" to understand that that is not particularly relevant
to the question asked under that heading -- viz., How can I tell if a
name names a male person or a female person?

Why this question would even be of interest to AUE readers is also
beyond imagining.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<t5mlie$k32$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130791&group=alt.usage.english#130791

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 10:19:52 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:19 UTC

On 14/05/2022 7:04 a.m., Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
> wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.
>
> Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
> have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:
>
> Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on 3rd
> May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too busy.
>
> That's it.

This is rather misleading. Perhaps you have found a list of _new_
topics; or whatever device told you this may have filtered out some
topics it did not consider worthy. I didn't respond to Martinelle
because the question was vague and I had nothing of interest to contribute.

Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
both senses). Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
about things but creates discussion.

"Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet; I still follow it, whereas
I've given up on sci.archaeology.

But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<610e0830-4732-422b-8495-d87609868e64n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130794&group=alt.usage.english#130794

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 15:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:24 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 3:04:37 PM UTC-4, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
> wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.
>
> Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
> have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:
>
> Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on
> 3rd May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too
> busy.
>
> That's it.

Its still in operation. Please continue to visit ... "there", if you like.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<t5muhr$4lr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130818&group=alt.usage.english#130818

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 18:53:14 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 14 May 2022 00:53 UTC

On 2022-05-13 16:19, Ross Clark wrote:
> On 14/05/2022 7:04 a.m., Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
>> wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.
>>
>> Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
>> have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:
>>
>> Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on
>> 3rd May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too busy.
>>
>> That's it.
>
> This is rather misleading. Perhaps you have found a list of _new_
> topics; or whatever device told you this may have filtered out some
> topics it did not consider worthy. I didn't respond to Martinelle
> because the question was vague and I had nothing of interest to contribute.
>
> Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
> 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
> who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
> about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
> period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
> etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
> language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
> Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
> Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
> both senses). Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
> about things but creates discussion.
>
> "Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
> or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet; I still follow it, whereas
> I've given up on sci.archaeology.
>
> But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?

Because after 20 years, because our resident bozo still occasionally
whines about cross-posting to it.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<968797ed-0462-4bed-8494-69a7903ec44cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130845&group=alt.usage.english#130845

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: dkleine...@gmail.com (David Kleinecke)
 by: David Kleinecke - Sat, 14 May 2022 04:57 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 5:53:18 PM UTC-7, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-05-13 16:19, Ross Clark wrote:
> > On 14/05/2022 7:04 a.m., Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> >> Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
> >> wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.
> >>
> >> Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
> >> have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:
> >>
> >> Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on
> >> 3rd May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too busy.
> >>
> >> That's it.
> >
> > This is rather misleading. Perhaps you have found a list of _new_
> > topics; or whatever device told you this may have filtered out some
> > topics it did not consider worthy. I didn't respond to Martinelle
> > because the question was vague and I had nothing of interest to contribute.
> >
> > Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
> > 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
> > who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
> > about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
> > period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
> > etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
> > language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
> > Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
> > Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
> > both senses). Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
> > about things but creates discussion.
> >
> > "Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
> > or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet; I still follow it, whereas
> > I've given up on sci.archaeology.
> >
> > But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?
> Because after 20 years, because our resident bozo still occasionally
> whines about cross-posting to it.

I am unhappy with sci.lang not because of the various trolls but because
when it does do linguistics it is almost always about historic linguistics.
I seem to be the only one left who is interested in syntax.

I admit that after the Chomsky enterprise imploded there doesn't seem to
much action on syntax anywhere.

I you want to defend Chomsky do it on sci.lang please.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<lglu7hlc0d4166cc72di8sifm8l43c76nv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130850&group=alt.usage.english#130850

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 09:15:37 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Sat, 14 May 2022 07:15 UTC

Sat, 14 May 2022 10:19:52 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
scribeva:

Or even all five: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cranky

>Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
>about things but creates discussion.

Yeah, right.

Buff?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buff ?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buff ?

>"Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
>or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet;

Not as I see it.

>I still follow it, whereas I've given up on sci.archaeology.
>
>But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?

I dunno.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<t5ob5h$7h9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130887&group=alt.usage.english#130887

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 07:34:39 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 14 May 2022 13:34 UTC

On 2022-05-14 01:15, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> Sat, 14 May 2022 10:19:52 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
> scribeva:
>> Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
>> 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
>> who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
>> about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
>> period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
>> etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
>> language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
>> Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
>> Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
>> both senses).
>
> Or even all five: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cranky
>
>> Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
>> about things but creates discussion.
>
> Yeah, right.
>
> Buff?
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buff ?

Right. Of relevance on that page:

Synonyms: Noun
addict, aficionado (also afficionado), bug, devotee, enthusiast, fan,
fanatic, fancier, fiend,junkie (also junky), lover, maniac, maven (also
mavin), nut

--
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<07e5ee01-606b-4797-a2e3-cfe3fbc9bf7bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130891&group=alt.usage.english#130891

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 06:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sat, 14 May 2022 13:38 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 6:20:02 PM UTC-4, benl...@ihug.co.nz wrote:
> On 14/05/2022 7:04 a.m., Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> > Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
> > wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.
> >
> > Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
> > have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:
> >
> > Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on 3rd
> > May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too busy.
> >
> > That's it.
>
> This is rather misleading. Perhaps you have found a list of _new_
> topics; or whatever device told you this may have filtered out some
> topics it did not consider worthy. I didn't respond to Martinelle
> because the question was vague and I had nothing of interest to contribute.
>
> Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
> 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
> who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
> about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
> period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
> etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
> language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
> Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
> Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
> both senses). Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
> about things but creates discussion.
>
> "Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
> or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet; I still follow it, whereas
> I've given up on sci.archaeology.
>
> But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?

Because the ex-"scientist" is a senile crank obsessed with me.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<ced1ea03-e597-4dae-a32b-2fda3bc4daf7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130892&group=alt.usage.english#130892

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 06:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sat, 14 May 2022 13:43 UTC

On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 12:57:35 AM UTC-4, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am unhappy with sci.lang not because of the various trolls but because
> when it does do linguistics it is almost always about historic linguistics.
> I seem to be the only one left who is interested in syntax.
>
> I admit that after the Chomsky enterprise imploded there doesn't seem to
> much action on syntax anywhere.

This morning, LINGUIST List carried an announcement of the relaunch
of an open-access journal (that somehow doesn't even charge authors
for publication), called Construction*, devoted to Construction Grammar,
which is apparently the currently trendy way of doing syntax. It's now
hosted by the University of Dusseldorf, IIRC.

> I you want to defend Chomsky do it on sci.lang please.

Who would want to do that?

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<1bgv7h5cmjfg4st9p2tr48amo21fb5n5ep@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130909&group=alt.usage.english#130909

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 16:49:52 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Sat, 14 May 2022 14:49 UTC

Sat, 14 May 2022 07:34:39 -0600: lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> scribeva:

>On 2022-05-14 01:15, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
>> Sat, 14 May 2022 10:19:52 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
>> scribeva:
>>> Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
>>> 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
>>> who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
>>> about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
>>> period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
>>> etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
>>> language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
>>> Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
>>> Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
>>> both senses).
>>
>> Or even all five: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cranky
>>
>>> Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
>>> about things but creates discussion.
>>
>> Yeah, right.
>>
>> Buff?
>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buff ?
>
>Right. Of relevance on that page:
>
>Synonyms: Noun
>addict, aficionado (also afficionado), bug, devotee, enthusiast, fan,
>fanatic, fancier, fiend,junkie (also junky), lover, maniac, maven (also
>mavin), nut

I see. Sense 5 of the definitions at the top. I overlooked that. Clear
now. Thanks. Over and out.

--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<cfdaa24e-3397-499d-9555-0e77f49c69ben@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130916&group=alt.usage.english#130916

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 08:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 14 May 2022 15:34 UTC

On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 9:43:23 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 12:57:35 AM UTC-4, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I am unhappy with sci.lang not because of the various trolls but because
> > when it does do linguistics it is almost always about historic linguistics.
> > I seem to be the only one left who is interested in syntax.
> >
> > I admit that after the Chomsky enterprise imploded there doesn't seem to
> > much action on syntax anywhere.
> This morning, LINGUIST List carried an announcement of the relaunch
> of an open-access journal (that somehow doesn't even charge authors
> for publication), called Construction*, devoted to Construction Grammar,
> which is apparently the currently trendy way of doing syntax. It's now
> hosted by the University of Dusseldorf, IIRC.
> > I you want to defend Chomsky do it on sci.lang please.
> Who would want to do that?

It depends upon how much wriggle room the reins from the nearest grant office give you.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<4fqv7hl9vo4l1nm70ni0nl1p5qm6maqk35@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130928&group=alt.usage.english#130928

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 10:42:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 14 May 2022 17:42 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 18:53:14 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-05-13 16:19, Ross Clark wrote:
>> On 14/05/2022 7:04 a.m., Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>>> Recently PTD, with his usual disregard for facts, claimed that it was
>>> wrong to describe sci.lang as moribund.
>>>
>>> Here, for your general edification, is a complete list of topics that
>>> have been discussed at sci.lang during May until today:
>>>
>>> Jean F. Martinelle asked about "Names in Eastern Asian languages" on
>>> 3rd May, but this was not answered by anyone. I imagine PTD was too busy.
>>>
>>> That's it.
>>
>> This is rather misleading. Perhaps you have found a list of _new_
>> topics; or whatever device told you this may have filtered out some
>> topics it did not consider worthy. I didn't respond to Martinelle
>> because the question was vague and I had nothing of interest to contribute.
>>
>> Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
>> 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
>> who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
>> about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
>> period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
>> etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
>> language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
>> Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
>> Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
>> both senses). Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
>> about things but creates discussion.
>>
>> "Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
>> or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet; I still follow it, whereas
>> I've given up on sci.archaeology.
>>
>> But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?
>
>Because after 20 years, because our resident bozo still occasionally
>whines about cross-posting to it.

Which resident bozo did you have in mind? We have a few.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<t5oq6h$fed$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130930&group=alt.usage.english#130930

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:51:12 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 14 May 2022 17:51 UTC

On 2022-05-14 11:42, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 18:53:14 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>>> This is rather misleading. Perhaps you have found a list of _new_
>>> topics; or whatever device told you this may have filtered out some
>>> topics it did not consider worthy. I didn't respond to Martinelle
>>> because the question was vague and I had nothing of interest to contribute.
>>>
>>> Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
>>> 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
>>> who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
>>> about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
>>> period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
>>> etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
>>> language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
>>> Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
>>> Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
>>> both senses). Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
>>> about things but creates discussion.
>>>
>>> "Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
>>> or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet; I still follow it, whereas
>>> I've given up on sci.archaeology.
>>>
>>> But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?
>>
>> Because after 20 years, because our resident bozo still occasionally
>> whines about cross-posting to it.
>

> Which resident bozo did you have in mind? We have a few.

I find it hard to believe you don't know which bozo fits the comment.

--
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<6nsv7hp5282ot3vaog6h71tpd28oo83p13@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130934&group=alt.usage.english#130934

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:20:50 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 14 May 2022 18:20 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 11:51:12 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-05-14 11:42, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Because after 20 years, because our resident bozo still occasionally
>>> whines about cross-posting to it.
>>

>> Which resident bozo did you have in mind? We have a few.
>
>I find it hard to believe you don't know which bozo fits the comment.

Perhaps it's one of the several I have killfiled.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<t5p0im$s27$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130951&group=alt.usage.english#130951

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 13:40:06 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 14 May 2022 19:40 UTC

On 2022-05-14 12:20, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 11:51:12 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>>> Which resident bozo did you have in mind? We have a few.
>>
>> I find it hard to believe you don't know which bozo fits the comment.
>

> Perhaps it's one of the several I have killfiled.

Likely. Let's just say, to be kind, he's "The world's Okayest Linguist."

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<t5p4p5$qlo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130958&group=alt.usage.english#130958

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 08:51:42 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:51 UTC

On 14/05/2022 7:15 p.m., Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> Sat, 14 May 2022 10:19:52 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
> scribeva:
>> Sci.lang does chug along, at a rate of perhaps 1-2 posts per day (versus
>> 100+ for a.u.e.). Much of the content nowadays comes from "Daud Deden",
>> who has replaced the late Franz Gnaedinger as resident crank. His ideas
>> about "paleo-etymology" are the cranky part, and we've been through the
>> period of arguing about that. But he also posts bits of genuine
>> etymology which interest him, and excerpts from the recent literature on
>> language evolution. Sometimes discussions do take place. There's also
>> Garry Denke, a cross-poster who is both OT and nuts, and ignored; and
>> Arnaud Fournet, who is a genuine linguist, but also a bit cranky (in
>> both senses).
>
> Or even all five: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cranky
>
>> Oh, and Ruud Harmsen, a language buff who is often wrong
>> about things but creates discussion.
>
> Yeah, right.
>
> Buff?
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buff ?
> https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buff ?

Note M-W's sense 5.
Their etymology is essentially correct, and was discussed at some length
on a.u.e. in 2014.

>> "Moribund" might be justified if you compared it to the sci.lang of 10
>> or 20 years ago. But there's life in it yet;
>
> Not as I see it.
>
>> I still follow it, whereas I've given up on sci.archaeology.
>>
>> But why did this become an issue on a.u.e.?
>
> I dunno.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<0f6bc927-fb89-4e7c-8d41-b141b8b6826dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131001&group=alt.usage.english#131001

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: dkleine...@gmail.com (David Kleinecke)
 by: David Kleinecke - Sun, 15 May 2022 04:49 UTC

On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 6:43:23 AM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 12:57:35 AM UTC-4, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I am unhappy with sci.lang not because of the various trolls but because
> > when it does do linguistics it is almost always about historic linguistics.
> > I seem to be the only one left who is interested in syntax.
> >
> > I admit that after the Chomsky enterprise imploded there doesn't seem to
> > much action on syntax anywhere.
> This morning, LINGUIST List carried an announcement of the relaunch
> of an open-access journal (that somehow doesn't even charge authors
> for publication), called Construction*, devoted to Construction Grammar,
> which is apparently the currently trendy way of doing syntax. It's now
> hosted by the University of Dusseldorf, IIRC.

There is a good rundown on Construction Grammar in Wikipedia. It is
nothing new. As a modern notion it seems to date from 1980 and its
older versions go all the way back past Whitney.

I am very sympathetic to what already exists but I do feel there has been
relatively little progress. It is more a point of view than a collection of
results.

Re: sci.lang: dead, or moribund?

<mn.85677e65bd7c3872.127094@snitoo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131263&group=alt.usage.english#131263

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 23:03:14 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:03 UTC

lar3ryca explained on 5/14/2022 :
> On 2022-05-14 11:42, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Because after 20 years, because our resident bozo still occasionally
>>> whines about cross-posting to it.
>>

>> Which resident bozo did you have in mind? We have a few.
>
> I find it hard to believe you don't know which bozo fits the comment.

I do nothing of the sort!

/dps

--
Let's celebrate Macaronesia