If two wrongs don't make a right, try three. -- Laurence J. Peter

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Suffolk pink

SubjectAuthor
* Suffolk pinkoccam
+* Re: Suffolk pinklar3ryca
|`- Re: Suffolk pinkHVS
`* Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
 `* Re: Suffolk pinkoccam
  +* Re: Suffolk pinkJanet
  |+* Re: Suffolk pinkPaul Wolff
  ||`* Re: Suffolk pinkmusika
  || +* Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
  || |`* Re: Suffolk pinkmusika
  || | `* Re: Suffolk pinkPaul Wolff
  || |  `* Re: Suffolk pinkmusika
  || |   `* Re: Suffolk pinkCDB
  || |    `* Re: Suffolk pinkmusika
  || |     `- Re: Suffolk pinklar3ryca
  || +- Re: Suffolk pinkPaul Wolff
  || +- Re: Suffolk pinkLewis
  || +- Re: Suffolk pinkoccam
  || `* Re: Suffolk pinkKerr-Mudd, John
  ||  `* Re: Suffolk pinkPeter Moylan
  ||   `* Re: Suffolk pinkKerr-Mudd, John
  ||    `* Re: Suffolk pinkPeter Moylan
  ||     +* Re: Suffolk pinkAthel Cornish-Bowden
  ||     |+* Re: Suffolk pinkRichard Heathfield
  ||     ||+* Re: Suffolk pinkPeter T. Daniels
  ||     |||`* Re: Suffolk pinkoccam
  ||     ||| +- Re: Suffolk pinkPeter T. Daniels
  ||     ||| `* Re: Suffolk pinkRichard Heathfield
  ||     |||  `- Re: Suffolk pinkPeter T. Daniels
  ||     ||`* Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
  ||     || `- Re: Suffolk pinkPeter T. Daniels
  ||     |+* Re: Suffolk pinkoccam
  ||     ||`* Re: Suffolk pinkAthel Cornish-Bowden
  ||     || `* Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
  ||     ||  +* Re: Suffolk pinkAthel Cornish-Bowden
  ||     ||  |+* Re: Suffolk pinkPeter Moylan
  ||     ||  ||`* Re: Suffolk pinkAthel Cornish-Bowden
  ||     ||  || `- Re: Suffolk pinkJ. J. Lodder
  ||     ||  |`* Re: Suffolk pinkLewis
  ||     ||  | `* Re: Suffolk pinkoccam
  ||     ||  |  `* Re: Suffolk pinklar3ryca
  ||     ||  |   `* Re: Suffolk pinkoccam
  ||     ||  |    `- Re: Suffolk pinkKen Blake
  ||     ||  `* Re: Suffolk pinkbil...@shaw.ca
  ||     ||   +* Re: Suffolk pinkKerr-Mudd, John
  ||     ||   |+- Re: Suffolk pinkPeter Moylan
  ||     ||   |+* Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
  ||     ||   ||`* Re: Suffolk pinkbil...@shaw.ca
  ||     ||   || `- Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
  ||     ||   |`* Re: Suffolk pinkbil...@shaw.ca
  ||     ||   | `* Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
  ||     ||   |  `- Re: Suffolk pinkKerr-Mudd, John
  ||     ||   `* Re: Suffolk pinkJerry Friedman
  ||     ||    `- Re: Suffolk pinkbil...@shaw.ca
  ||     |`- Re: Suffolk pinkcharles
  ||     `* Re: Suffolk pinkKen Blake
  ||      `- Re: Suffolk pinklar3ryca
  |+- Re: Suffolk pinkPeter Moylan
  |`* Re: Suffolk pinkJerry Friedman
  | +- Re: Suffolk pinkHVS
  | `* Re: Suffolk pinkPeter Moylan
  |  `- Re: Suffolk pinkTony Cooper
  `* Re: Suffolk pinkSam Plusnet
   `* Re: Suffolk pinkPeter Moylan
    +- Re: Suffolk pinkoccam
    `- Re: Suffolk pinkLewis

Pages:123
Suffolk pink

<jec8ooFb8epU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131029&group=alt.usage.english#131029

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Suffolk pink
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 14:07:52 +0200
 by: occam - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:07 UTC

Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
piqued my interest.

According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program, Suffolk pink =
pig's blood + limewash.

"Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
too, to produce a redder pink."

Source:
https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/

Re: Suffolk pink

<t5qvgr$3mh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131038&group=alt.usage.english#131038

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Suffolk pink
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 07:34:17 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sun, 15 May 2022 13:34 UTC

On 2022-05-15 06:07, occam wrote:

> Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
> piqued my interest.
>
> According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program, Suffolk pink =
> pig's blood + limewash.
>
> "Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
> were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
> example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
> Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
> then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
> too, to produce a redder pink."
>
> Source:
> https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/

Interesting. I had never heard of 'limewash', until now, but I see it's
what we call 'whitewash'.

Re: Suffolk pink

<XnsAE98B04A569DDwhhvans@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131077&group=alt.usage.english#131077

From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 17:19:48 +0100
 by: HVS - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:19 UTC

On 15 May 2022, lar3ryca wrote

> On 2022-05-15 06:07, occam wrote:
>>

>> Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk
>> pink' piqued my interest.
>>
>> According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program, Suffolk
>> pink = pig's blood + limewash.
>>
>> "Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink
>> shades were formed by adding natural substances to traditional
>> limewash. For example, adding in elderberries, which release a
>> beautiful carmine red. Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood
>> with buttermilk which was then painted onto a house. Blackthorn
>> or sloe juice was sometimes added too, to produce a redder pink."
>>
>> Source:
>> https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suff
>> olk-pink-houses/
>
> Interesting. I had never heard of 'limewash', until now, but I see
> it's what we call 'whitewash'.

Limewash is an interesting treatment.

As opposed to the Victorian and early 20th-century black-and-white
colouring of half-timbered buildings, limewash was traditionally
painted not only on the brick nogging between the exposed timber
frame, but also over the exposed timbers themselves.

This addressed the problem that the exposed timbers and the brick
infill panels react differently to changes in temperature and
humidity. Since limewash remains flexible, covering the whole facade
with it lets the gap between the two materials expand asd contract
without opening a gap between them.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: Suffolk pink

<zncgK.452628$2OB.259039@fx09.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131108&group=alt.usage.english#131108

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 20:19:59 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 15 May 2022 19:19 UTC

On 15-May-22 13:07, occam wrote:

> Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
> piqued my interest.
>
> According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program, Suffolk pink =
> pig's blood + limewash.
>
> "Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
> were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
> example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
> Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
> then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
> too, to produce a redder pink."
>
> Source:
> https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/

I'm not sure about a special connection with Suffolk, the same thing was
done in many other places.
Today, various paint manufacturers offer stuff which looks the same -
but no pigs are harmed in the... etc.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Suffolk pink

<jeeaj6Fn4c4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131157&group=alt.usage.english#131157

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 08:51:18 +0200
 by: occam - Mon, 16 May 2022 06:51 UTC

On 15/05/2022 21:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 15-May-22 13:07, occam wrote:
>>

>> Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
>> piqued my interest.
>>
>> According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program,  Suffolk pink =
>> pig's blood + limewash.
>>
>> "Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
>> were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
>> example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
>> Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
>> then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
>> too, to produce a redder pink."
>>
>> Source:
>> https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/
>>

> I'm not sure about a special connection with Suffolk,

The 14th century? When you next google a fact and come up with a homily
like "it has been done in many places", make sure it precedes the
example you are dissing. I am guessing there is a reason why it has
ended up being called the 'Suffolk pink' and not the 'Lancashire pink'
or the 'Aberdeenshire rosé'. Historically most people made sausages with
blood, rather than waste it on walls.

I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?

the same thing was
> done in many other places.
> Today, various paint manufacturers offer stuff which looks the same -
> but no pigs are harmed in the... etc.

Re: Suffolk pink

<MPG.3cec3f7751f31fac9896cf@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131171&group=alt.usage.english#131171

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 12:01:46 +0100
 by: Janet - Mon, 16 May 2022 11:01 UTC

In article <jeeaj6Fn4c4U1@mid.individual.net>, nobody@nowhere.nix
says...
> I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
> e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?

The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
mean black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
to "ee by gum" and "bloomin heck".

Janet

Re: Suffolk pink

<5dxgK.12534$pqKf.2548@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131209&group=alt.usage.english#131209

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:02:25 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:02 UTC

On 16-May-22 7:51, occam wrote:
> On 15/05/2022 21:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 15-May-22 13:07, occam wrote:
>>>

>>> Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
>>> piqued my interest.
>>>
>>> According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program,  Suffolk pink =
>>> pig's blood + limewash.
>>>
>>> "Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
>>> were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
>>> example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
>>> Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
>>> then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
>>> too, to produce a redder pink."
>>>
>>> Source:
>>> https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/
>>>

>> I'm not sure about a special connection with Suffolk,
>
> The 14th century? When you next google a fact and come up with a homily
> like "it has been done in many places", make sure it precedes the
> example you are dissing. I am guessing there is a reason why it has
> ended up being called the 'Suffolk pink' and not the 'Lancashire pink'
> or the 'Aberdeenshire rosé'. Historically most people made sausages with
> blood, rather than waste it on walls.

"Google a fact"?? You provided a link to an Estate Agent's website FFS!

Have they suddenly become the guardians of historical fact? Or do they
rank somewhere below used car salesmen on the 'trusted profession' scale?

Are there any 14th buildings with the original coating untouched and intact?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Suffolk pink

<9gYyLbctWrgiFA3G@wolff.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131226&group=alt.usage.english#131226

From: bounc...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:35:57 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:35 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>nobody@nowhere.nix
>says...
>> I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
>> e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?
>
> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>mean black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>to "ee by gum" and "bloomin heck".

I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC radio
comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.

[1] Term includes Lancastrians.
--
Paul

Re: Suffolk pink

<t5udll$hd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131228&group=alt.usage.english#131228

From: mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:54:12 +0100
 by: musika - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:54 UTC

On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>> nobody@nowhere.nix
>> says...
>>> I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
>>> e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?
>>
>> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>> mean  black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>> to "ee by gum"  and "bloomin heck".
>>
> I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC radio
> comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
>
> [1] Term includes Lancastrians.

He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump" is a
secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.

--
Ray
UK

Re: Suffolk pink

<0bzgK.105086$7p1.24607@fx04.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131230&group=alt.usage.english#131230

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:16:44 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 16 May 2022 21:16 UTC

On 16-May-22 21:54, musika wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>>> nobody@nowhere.nix
>>> says...
>>>
>>> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>>> mean  black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>>> to "ee by gum"  and "bloomin heck".
>>>
>> I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC
>> radio comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
>>
>> [1] Term includes Lancastrians.
>
> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump" is a
> secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.

The Goodies - Kung Fu Kapers, apparently.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Suffolk pink

<yHlBS8fbgsgiFAFo@wolff.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131234&group=alt.usage.english#131234

From: bounc...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:54:35 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Mon, 16 May 2022 21:54 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 21:54:12, musika posted:
>On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>>> nobody@nowhere.nix
>>> says...
>>>
>>> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>>> mean  black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>>> to "ee by gum"  and "bloomin heck".
>>>
>> I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC
>>radio comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
>> [1] Term includes Lancastrians.
>
>He's probably thinking of The Goodies.

The strong alternative.

>In one episode, "ecky thump" is a secret Lancastrian martial art using
>black puddings as a weapon.

I'll go with that.
--
Paul

Re: Suffolk pink

<t5uimo$5f7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131237&group=alt.usage.english#131237

From: mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 23:20:07 +0100
 by: musika - Mon, 16 May 2022 22:20 UTC

On 16/05/2022 22:16, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 16-May-22 21:54, musika wrote:
>> On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
>>> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:

>>> I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC
>>> radio comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
>>>
>>> [1] Term includes Lancastrians.
>>
>> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump" is
>> a secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.
>>
> The Goodies - Kung Fu Kapers, apparently.

Yes. Monty Python had already done Llap Goch.

--
Ray
UK

Re: Suffolk pink

<5pYjJLhtGtgiFAX1@wolff.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131238&group=alt.usage.english#131238

From: bounc...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 23:35:25 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Mon, 16 May 2022 22:35 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 23:20:07, musika posted:
>On 16/05/2022 22:16, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump"
>>>is a secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.
>>>
>> The Goodies - Kung Fu Kapers, apparently.
>>
>Yes. Monty Python had already done Llap Goch.

Is that distinct from the fish-slapping dance - or an umbrella term?
--
Paul

Re: Suffolk pink

<rTAgK.3484876$u91.1238911@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131239&group=alt.usage.english#131239

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 00:12:22 +0100
 by: musika - Mon, 16 May 2022 23:12 UTC

On 16/05/2022 23:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 23:20:07, musika posted:

>>> The Goodies - Kung Fu Kapers, apparently.
>>>
>> Yes. Monty Python had already done Llap Goch.
>>
> Is that distinct from the fish-slapping dance - or an umbrella term?

It was a secret Welsh martial art. It appeared in their second book.

<https://cdn2.apstatic.com/photos/climb/106848340_large_1494145373.jpg>

--
Ray
UK

Re: Suffolk pink

<t5ussn$rt2$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131248&group=alt.usage.english#131248

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:13:58 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 17 May 2022 01:13 UTC

On 16/05/22 21:01, Janet wrote:
> In article <jeeaj6Fn4c4U1@mid.individual.net>, nobody@nowhere.nix
> says...
>> I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
>> e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?
>

> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
> mean black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
> to "ee by gum" and "bloomin heck".

Yes, I also react that way to black pudding.

Re: Suffolk pink

<t5ut35$rt2$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131249&group=alt.usage.english#131249

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:17:25 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 17 May 2022 01:17 UTC

On 17/05/22 05:02, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 16-May-22 7:51, occam wrote:

>> The 14th century? When you next google a fact and come up with a
>> homily like "it has been done in many places", make sure it
>> precedes the example you are dissing. I am guessing there is a
>> reason why it has ended up being called the 'Suffolk pink' and not
>> the 'Lancashire pink' or the 'Aberdeenshire rosé'. Historically
>> most people made sausages with blood, rather than waste it on
>> walls.
>
> "Google a fact"?? You provided a link to an Estate Agent's website
> FFS!
>
> Have they suddenly become the guardians of historical fact? Or do
> they rank somewhere below used car salesmen on the 'trusted
> profession' scale?
>
> Are there any 14th buildings with the original coating untouched and
> intact?

Don;t knock used care salesmen. In the last survey I read about, they
were more trusted than politicians.

Re: Suffolk pink

<slrnt8624j.hmo.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131255&group=alt.usage.english#131255

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:29:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 17 May 2022 02:29 UTC

In message <t5udll$hd$1@dont-email.me> musika <mUs1Ka@NOSPAMexcite.com> wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>>> nobody@nowhere.nix
>>> says...
>>>
>>> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>>> mean  black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>>> to "ee by gum"  and "bloomin heck".
>>>
>> I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC radio
>> comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
>>
>> [1] Term includes Lancastrians.

> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump" is a
> secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.

Oi! It's a *secret*.

--
'Winners never talk about glorious victories. That's because they're
the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterwards. It's

Re: Suffolk pink

<jegsrhF7k6cU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131267&group=alt.usage.english#131267

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:15:13 +0200
 by: occam - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:15 UTC

On 16/05/2022 22:54, musika wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>>> nobody@nowhere.nix
>>> says...
>>>
>>> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>>> mean  black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>>> to "ee by gum"  and "bloomin heck".
>>>
>> I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC
>> radio comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
>>
>> [1] Term includes Lancastrians.
>
> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump" is a
> secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.

Aha! That ancient Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as
weapons may be the source of my misunderstanding of 'ecky thump'. Thank you.

Re: Suffolk pink

<jegt8hF7nfrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131269&group=alt.usage.english#131269

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:22:09 +0200
 by: occam - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:22 UTC

On 17/05/2022 03:17, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 17/05/22 05:02, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 16-May-22 7:51, occam wrote:
>
>>> The 14th century?  When you next google a fact and come up with a
>>> homily like "it has been done in many places", make sure it
>>> precedes the example you are dissing. I am guessing there is a
>>> reason why it has ended up being called the 'Suffolk pink' and not
>>> the 'Lancashire pink' or the 'Aberdeenshire rosé'. Historically
>>> most people made sausages with blood, rather than waste it on
>>> walls.
>>
>> "Google a fact"??  You provided a link to an Estate Agent's website
>> FFS!
>>
>> Have they suddenly become the guardians of historical fact?  Or do
>> they rank somewhere below used car salesmen on the 'trusted
>> profession' scale?
>>
>> Are there any 14th buildings with the original coating untouched and
>>  intact?
>
> Don;t knock used care salesmen. In the last survey I read about, they
> were more trusted than politicians.

That, plus the fact that had Plusnet bothered to do a search himself, he
would have discovered plenty of other sources for the same information.
Here's another:

https://inigo.com/almanac/what-is-suffolk-pink

Re: Suffolk pink

<20220517081451.1d5093ba55151e2ad49b59cd@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131274&group=alt.usage.english#131274

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:14:51 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 17 May 2022 07:14 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 21:54:12 +0100
musika <mUs1Ka@NOSPAMexcite.com> wrote:

> On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
> >> nobody@nowhere.nix
> >> says...
> >>
> >> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
> >> mean  black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
> >> to "ee by gum"  and "bloomin heck".
> >>
> > I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC radio
> > comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
> >
> > [1] Term includes Lancastrians.
>
> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump" is a
> secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.

They weren't that secretive, what with the outsized flatcaps.

It was indeed dangerous; one poor chap died laughing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Kapers

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Suffolk pink

<t5vsek$l3n$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131291&group=alt.usage.english#131291

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 20:12:34 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 17 May 2022 10:12 UTC

On 17/05/22 17:14, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022 21:54:12 +0100 musika <mUs1Ka@NOSPAMexcite.com>
> wrote:

>> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump"
>> is a secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a
>> weapon.
>>
> They weren't that secretive, what with the outsized flatcaps.

One of my cats keeps getting bigger. I've been thinking of getting an
outsized ...

Oh, sorry, you were talking about something else. As you were.

Re: Suffolk pink

<20220517151746.f49a11c19e09ed4e59f26b4d@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131323&group=alt.usage.english#131323

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 15:17:46 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 17 May 2022 14:17 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:12:34 +1000
Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 17/05/22 17:14, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 May 2022 21:54:12 +0100 musika <mUs1Ka@NOSPAMexcite.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump"
> >> is a secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a
> >> weapon.
> >>
> > They weren't that secretive, what with the outsized flatcaps.
>
> One of my cats keeps getting bigger. I've been thinking of getting an
> outsized ...
>
> Oh, sorry, you were talking about something else. As you were.

DO you get any possums or something else cat-sized calling in? wouldn't want it dingo-sized.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Suffolk pink

<t60f2e$87s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131342&group=alt.usage.english#131342

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:30:17 -0400
 by: CDB - Tue, 17 May 2022 15:30 UTC

On 5/16/2022 7:12 PM, musika wrote:
> Paul Wolff wrote:
>> musika posted:

>>> Yes. Monty Python had already done Llap Goch.

>> Is that distinct from the fish-slapping dance - or an umbrella
>> term?

> It was a secret Welsh martial art. It appeared in their second book.

> <https://cdn2.apstatic.com/photos/climb/106848340_large_1494145373.jpg>

Hidden depths. Isn't that a Welshwoman's hat he has on?

Re: Suffolk pink

<0SPgK.2340600$Z91.1938775@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131363&group=alt.usage.english#131363

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:14:50 +0100
 by: musika - Tue, 17 May 2022 16:14 UTC

--
Ray
UK

Re: Suffolk pink

<e17a1634-1b88-4747-94b5-adc305289cc7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131372&group=alt.usage.english#131372

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 09:36:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: jerry_fr...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Tue, 17 May 2022 16:36 UTC

On Monday, May 16, 2022 at 5:01:56 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
> In article <jeeaj6...@mid.individual.net>, nob...@nowhere.nix
> says...
> > I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
> > e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?

> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
> mean black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
> to "ee by gum" and "bloomin heck".

And Yorkshire? My mother has a refrigerator magnet printed with a number
of Yorkshire expressions, including "Ee by gum" too. (It's a gift from my older
niece, who lived in Yorkshire for a few years.) The Internet confirms the
impression of one of my functioning brain cells that Lancs is adjacent to
West Yorks.

--
Jerry Friedman will go to the foot of our stairs.