Excellent time to become a missing person.

interests / rec.gardens / Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?

SubjectAuthor
* Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?harry
+* Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?Frank
|`- Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?harry
`* Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?David E. Ross
 `- Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?David E. Ross

1
Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?

<p4316h556klmi4rl35gr4o802nt4qpcopc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129&group=rec.gardens#129

From: har...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:49:21 -0500
 by: har...@invalid.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:49 UTC

A neighbor of mine has some young trees which are only about 7-8 feet
high. I looked out the window the other day and the trees showed
silver in the bright sunlight.

Any ideo of what kind of protection shows as if these leafless young
tree was sprayed with silver paint?

Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?

<t3q2tp$hu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130&group=rec.gardens#130

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:53:45 -0400
 by: Frank - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:53 UTC

On 4/20/2022 6:49 PM, harry@invalid.com wrote:
> A neighbor of mine has some young trees which are only about 7-8 feet
> high. I looked out the window the other day and the trees showed
> silver in the bright sunlight.
>
> Any ideo of what kind of protection shows as if these leafless young
> tree was sprayed with silver paint?

https://dengarden.com/gardening/trees-with-white-bark

Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?

<of516hpejif28k1gtdl3424juf5334k8pv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=131&group=rec.gardens#131

From: har...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:31:22 -0500
 by: har...@invalid.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:31 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:53:45 -0400, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:

>On 4/20/2022 6:49 PM, harry@invalid.com wrote:
>> A neighbor of mine has some young trees which are only about 7-8 feet
>> high. I looked out the window the other day and the trees showed
>> silver in the bright sunlight.
>>
>> Any ideo of what kind of protection shows as if these leafless young
>> tree was sprayed with silver paint?
>
>https://dengarden.com/gardening/trees-with-white-bark

No, that's not what I'm seeing.

Those trees were always a with brownish bark. That was true earlier
in the day before someone applied either a spray or brushed them with
something or other. The ladder they used is still laying on the
ground near one of the trees.

I had never seen such a coating on a tree before that day - and I live
where there are a *lot* of trees.

Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?

<t3qk7q$1fo3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=132&group=rec.gardens#132

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:49:13 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 03:49 UTC

On 4/20/2022 3:49 PM, harry@invalid.com wrote:
> A neighbor of mine has some young trees which are only about 7-8 feet
> high. I looked out the window the other day and the trees showed
> silver in the bright sunlight.
>
> Any ideo of what kind of protection shows as if these leafless young
> tree was sprayed with silver paint?

Aluminum flashing is wrapped around a tree's trunk to keep squirrels
out. I do this just before my loquats ripen to protect them from
squirrels eating them. I am also a docent at a public garden where they
wrap flashing around the trunks of white mulberries because otherwise
squirrels would eat the new shoots before leaves could open, thus
killing the trees.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Silver Colored Coating On Young Trees?

<t3qkd2$1fo3$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=133&group=rec.gardens#133

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:52:02 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 03:52 UTC

On 4/20/2022 8:49 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 4/20/2022 3:49 PM, harry@invalid.com wrote:
>> A neighbor of mine has some young trees which are only about 7-8 feet
>> high. I looked out the window the other day and the trees showed
>> silver in the bright sunlight.
>>
>> Any ideo of what kind of protection shows as if these leafless young
>> tree was sprayed with silver paint?
>>

> Aluminum flashing is wrapped around a tree's trunk to keep squirrels
> out. I do this just before my loquats ripen to protect them from
> squirrels eating them. I am also a docent at a public garden where they
> wrap flashing around the trunks of white mulberries because otherwise
> squirrels would eat the new shoots before leaves could open, thus
> killing the trees.

I almost forgot. Young citrus trees might have aluminum foil wrapped
around their trunks to prevent sunburn. Citrus bark is very sensitive
to damage from direct sun. When the trees mature, there is usually
sufficient foliage to shade the trunk and main branches.